xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Surround Sound Suggestions  (Read 237 times)

Alex2x3

• Archived User
Surround Sound Suggestions
« on: March 13, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »

I've been thinking about getting a sound sound for my room lately. It's a pretty small bedroom, actually its small. I only really want to use it with my Tv, and my Xbox360. I have around 500 bucks to spend on this. Anyone have any good suggestions. I want something small, don't want any big tower ones, but I do want good quality.

The one I've been thinking about is:
http://www.spherexinc.com/products_xbox51.aspx
It seems like all the reviews gave it amazing reviews.

I just want to get some suggestions before I plunge into this one.

Thanks,
Alex.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »

I would recommend the Logitech Z-5500 speakers.  See here.

For $240 shipped, you'll be hard pressed to beat that price for the quality.

They are significantly better then the ones you posted, and have an RMS of 505 Watts.

Or......get some good 5.1 surround sound headphones for about $100.

Alex2x3

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 09:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Mar 14 2006, 05:11 AM) *

They are significantly better then the ones you posted, and have an RMS of 505 Watts.

Yea, seems like a lot of people are suggesting those. I just don't know if they would be great for like watching movies and everything. They are computer speakers, arn't they? I don't know. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm gonna try to look into it. I just want to make sure I get the best I can. About the surround sound headphones, I really don't want that. That's kinda lame. :\

This post has been edited by Alex2x3: Mar 14 2006, 05:47 AM

sp4zzj4zz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 10:18:00 PM »

Under $500?

An HTIB? Already have a DVD-Player?

Well...first thing that comes to my mind, hmmm, I'd say...

If you care more about pure audio quality and functionality than having a stylish system...

Onkyo HT-S770 6.1
(google search)

You honestly can't do much better with the budget price, about $400 new. Nearly half that used.

EDIT: oops, I forgot about the HT-S780 7.1 (google search) for just a few dollars more...

This post has been edited by sp4zzj4zz: Mar 14 2006, 06:24 AM

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 10:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(Alex2x3 @ Mar 13 2006, 09:16 PM) View Post

I just don't know if they would be great for like watching movies and everything. They are computer speakers, arn't they? I don't know.

No they are not PC speakers, they can be used as such, just as any speaker system can, but there main focus is for console gaming and movie watching.

autoxerFSP21

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(sp4zzj4zz @ Mar 13 2006, 11:49 PM) *

Under $500?

An HTIB? Already have a DVD-Player?

Well...first thing that comes to my mind, hmmm, I'd say...

If you care more about pure audio quality and functionality than having a stylish system...

Onkyo HT-S770 6.1
(google search)

You honestly can't do much better with the budget price, about $400 new. Nearly half that used.

EDIT: oops, I forgot about the HT-S780 7.1 (google search) for just a few dollars more...

I'm using the HT-S580 and I'm really happy with it. I don't really see the point in using 1-2 extra surround speakers when all the games and movies are encoded for use with only 5.1 channels. You can pick up the HT-S580 for about $220. That leaves you pleanty of money for all the 360 games coming out in the next few months.

sp4zzj4zz

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 11:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(autoxerFSP21 @ Mar 14 2006, 12:52 AM) View Post
I don't really see the point in using 1-2 extra surround speakers when all the games and movies are encoded for use with only 5.1 channels.

All in all, your probably right, IF money is very tight, but...

DTS ES, DD EX, THX EX, and to a lesser degree, DPL II, IIx and DTS Neo:6 are becoming more and more common. Also, even with 5.1 encoded audio, EX decoders will simulate 6.1/7.1 for you. The extra rear channel in 6.1 does wonders for the "transition" effect of rear surround.

Again, if money is really a big issue, go for the Onkyo 5.1, it's definately a name you can trust and one of the very top budget systems, I'm just thinking in terms of next-gen audio at a very affordable price.

EDIT : uh oh typos!

CKwik240

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 01:51:00 AM »

If you are looking for something a bit versatile and compact, an HTIB as have been mentioned already would be a great choice.  If you're looking for even more flexibility and perhaps some upgradability, perhaps get one that has a seperate receiver/amp.  Particularly, one that uses speaker impedance levels that are fairly common so that upgrading is simpler.  Certainly, the true audiophiles will tell you to get each component seperately, but you can have a reasonably good sounding system for relatively cheap.  I'm running a Sony 5.1 system that came with a seperate receiver and a seperate 5 disc DVD changer.  Its several years old now, but it has worked well and sounds pretty good.  It uses standard 8-ohm speakers so if I really wanted, I can upgrade the speakers with relative ease.  I'm quite happy I went this route instead of the integrated systems out there as HD-DVD/Blu-Ray will be much easier to adapt to it.

bonkers255

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 01:45:00 AM »

I would strongly recommend an Onkyo or Yamaha theater in a box.  Both of those brands use good receivers and the speakers can be upgraded later.  In fact, the speakers in any HTiB are going to be the crappiest part, so make sure you get one with a good receiver so the speakers can be replaced later.  I'm pretty sure both Onkyo and Yamaha use receivers that are nearly 90% of the value of the system.  You may also be able to find a nice refurbished receiver and put some athena micra speakers with it.

receiver
Speakers

Bit more expensive then you wanted, but it's one option.  Search for better prices.  I know for a fact the receiver is nice and those speakers are incredible for the price.  The would be a ton better than a HTiB or the logitech solutions.

Just my two cents.

celicagt1993

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 01:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Mar 14 2006, 05:11 AM) View Post

yes, these are technically considered computer speakers, but they are really more.  this is where you weight your options and what you want.

1.  if you have a component stereo system with a stand alone cd player, dvd player and want fm radio to go through it, then a stereo receiver with 5.1 or 7.1 would be best.

2.  as with my setup, EVERYTHING, and i do mean everything goes through my 360...  tv, movies, music, games...  everything..  I use media center that does my tv radio and everything else...  i have the same set of speakers and leave it on the optical input...  lets say i ever get a HD-DVD or bluray drive, i can use the spdif input on this same device for the sound on it...  and if i ever add something with regular analog output, i can also use that with it also...  this system can use optical 5.1, spdif 5.1 or analog 5.1 or you can change the analog to 3 2.0 analog inputs...  best bang for your buck if everything you will use goes through one setup.

sp4zzj4zz

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 02:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(CKwik240 @ Mar 14 2006, 03:22 AM) View Post
It uses standard 8-ohm speakers so if I really wanted, I can upgrade the speakers with relative ease.

As does the Onkyo systems/as could he...

As I am a true audiophile (self-proclaimed of course lol ; ), if the kid had the money, I would have suggest a true "component" system...but he's obvisouly tight on cash, and the Onkyo HTIB's are as "component like" as your going to get at that price level. Not to mention having superior audio quality.

The Onkyo HTIB's have no dvd player included, only the amp/receiver and speakers. IMO, it's the best deal he can get for the money. Check out the specs and some reviews man. smile.gif

IPB Image

LARGER VIEW

EDIT:
QUOTE(bonkers255 @ Mar 14 2006, 03:52 AM) View Post
Speakers ( the Athena Micra's)

Damn, thats a decent price! I might have to pick those up for the gf sometime soon.

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 03:14:00 AM »

I'll second the Onkyo and Yamaha suggestions.  I've got an Onkyo receiver in the living room and a yamaha in the bedroom. Granted the recievers alone cost more than a HTIB, but each of their products are fantastic.  Don't get those computer based speakers (I don't care what you call 'em, lol) if you've got those brands available to you.

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 07:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(autoxerFSP21 @ Mar 14 2006, 12:52 AM) View Post

I'm using the HT-S580 and I'm really happy with it. I don't really see the point in using 1-2 extra surround speakers when all the games and movies are encoded for use with only 5.1 channels. You can pick up the HT-S580 for about $220. That leaves you pleanty of money for all the 360 games coming out in the next few months.

Same system I've got (S580).   I  just picked it up a few days ago, but it's very nice for the cost.  Has a good deal of inputs, sounds pretty decent with the nice crisp treble that I like, and thunderous bass from that humungous subwoofer.  I've rattled a few items off of my shelves from spraying bullets in COD2 already. I give it the big thumbs up.

Alex2x3

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 07:15:00 PM »

Ohh wow. Alot of choices. Kinda confusing. Seems like a lot of you are suggesting the Onkyo ones, so I might check those out. Only think I see is that they seem a little unattractive, which I wouldn't really want. The rooms pretty small, as I said, so they'll be pretty easy to spot. I really don't think I'll be doing to much upgrading anytime soon, and I don't really want anything used. So I might just some cash from the folks, and get some out of them. I really don't think I need anything more then 500 dollars. I really doubt I would be able to tell much difference from a average or a great system to much. We'll see, I'll search around with all these suggestions.

Edit: I'm really liking the Onkyo HT-S780.

This post has been edited by Alex2x3: Mar 15 2006, 03:28 AM

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »

Unattractive? The only thing that's ugly is the sub with the 770.  See those things you were originally looking at? Now THOSE are ugly, lol.

The 780 looks like a great system. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. But you were so concerned about the size of ur room and ur lookin' at 7.1? Kinda overkill, but whatever floats ur boat.... or room...
Pages: [1] 2