xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Anyone Else Looking Forward To The New Displays!  (Read 63 times)

Mick Garvey

• Archived User
Anyone Else Looking Forward To The New Displays!
« on: January 12, 2006, 09:07:00 PM »

Im freaking excited that new better displays are going to be hitting the selves this year. Im sure alot of you have heard about SED and all of its benifits. Just want to know if anyone else is looking forward to these. Thats partially why Im not purchasing a LCD or Plasma, they both are supposed to drop to 1/4 of there cost when SED and OLED hit the selves later this year.

MMMMMMMMM 100,000 to 1 contrast ratios  love.gif

JNasty4G63

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 10:39:00 PM »

I will admit, if SED comes out looking as good as everyone is pumping up to be, it should be great.   Granted, it will probably cost 2 arms and 3 legs at first, but don't they all.

But, out of all the new stuff shown at CES, in the realistic world, I would really love to have the new Samsung DLP.   Full 1080p, not wobbulated like the older sets.   No, color wheel, so there is no rainbow effect.  And, no lamp inside to die, its driven by Red, Blue and Green laser LEDs.   Super bright image, super high contrast like DLP is known for, and full, TRUE 1080p resolution.   That is a set I'm going to be seriously shopping when they start shipping.

Hilg

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 07:47:00 AM »

I think all videophiles are panting.
JNasty4G63, I'm not calling you out, or even saying you are wrong.  But, from the way the article by teamxbox.com read, the manufacturing costs are relatievly low in the upcoming displays.
That said, relative to what?  Could be relative to the average 30" CRT display OR it could be relative to the high-end 50" plasma.  It will be interesting.

And man, you could not be more right about that Sammy 1080p DLP!  They have found a great solution to rainbowing.  That thing looks great.  Do you happen to know the viewing angle?

Ballz2TheWallz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(C o s m o @ Jan 13 2006, 03:54 PM) View Post

I think all videophiles are panting.
JNasty4G63, I'm not calling you out, or even saying you are wrong.  But, from the way the article by teamxbox.com read, the manufacturing costs are relatievly low in the upcoming displays.
That said, relative to what?  Could be relative to the average 30" CRT display OR it could be relative to the high-end 50" plasma.  It will be interesting.

And man, you could not be more right about that Sammy 1080p DLP!  They have found a great solution to rainbowing.  That thing looks great.  Do you happen to know the viewing angle?

new technology is never cheap but it will become cheap to the manufacture quickly.....just not the consumer sad.gif

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 09:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ballz2TheWallz @ Jan 13 2006, 10:25 AM) View Post

new technology is never cheap but it will become cheap to the manufacture quickly.....just not the consumer sad.gif

Very true.

deakphreak

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 09:26:00 AM »

I cant remember which one it was but i saw a video of this guy and he had a little screen thing and a bunch of little plastic squared, he could put each square down on the screen and it would light up with different information.  This thing was so amazing and i really wish i still had the video.

Ballz2TheWallz

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »

i really hope OLED can get its bugs out, that would make an insanely light thin displays and i hope SED has insane contrasts good black levels no burn in even with max brightness and contrast and great life expectency

mabey my hopes are a little high?

Mick Garvey

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 10:55:00 PM »

Supposedly these new displays can be manufactured cheaper than current LCD and Plasmas. Your probably right about them being expensive at first just because they are new but I could see them wanting to lower there prices in order to compete with the LCD and Plasma prices. Also I have never heard of the Samsung display, but all I know is when we get the 5 grand from a the guy that we bought are house from (freakin ass didnt disclose homemade Skylights, lets just say it was raining indoors for the first month) we are putting it all towards a theater so Im freaking pumped for that  biggrin.gif