xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hdtv - Is This Any Good?  (Read 145 times)

KingOne

• Archived User
Hdtv - Is This Any Good?
« on: December 25, 2005, 10:57:00 PM »

I got a samsung slimfit 27 inch hdtv from my parents for xmas and this is in addition for the XBOX360 and the PS3, so i was wondering if these are any good.

Samsung 27" HDTV (TX-R2779H)

27" flat screen: The flat screen doesn't just look good—it minimizes distortion and glare. It's the perfect way to make your favorite programs look even better.

SlimFit™ design: Samsung's SlimFit design is 1/3 thinner than standard CRTs, without sacrificing picture quality or features.

Built-in HD tuner: Enjoy the brilliant clarity and detail of high-definition programming without having to purchase an additional receiver.

Improved picture: Velocity scan modulation and the finer pixel dot pitch deliver crisp images, while Digital Signal Processing converts analog signals to digital format. Samsung's INVAR Shadow Mask provides consistency of focus and brightness without affecting color purity.

BBE® HD sound processing: Crisp, realistic high-definition digital audio puts you in the middle of the action.

A/V versatility: Use the full array of A/V inputs—including HDMI, wideband component video and S-video—to get the most out of your DVD player, satellite receiver and other video components.

Audio presets: Five different sound modes help to deliver the perfect audio for whatever you're watching.

Video presets: Choose the mode (Standard/Dynamic/Movie/Custom) that best suits the program you're watching.

Convenience features: Universal remote, sleep timer, closed caption, v-chip, channel labeling, easy navigation and more.

http://www.circuitci..._UseBVCookie=No

now its setup.  The downside is, the tv is defective, Im getting red marks in the corner of the bottom of the tv, so gonna exchange it for another,  however, The other thing is im confused on why the tv display off colored mixed colors which it should be ultra sharp n clearer,  it could be my cable.. but holy sh*t the xbox360 looks amazing on it.

Setup - sry for the low dark quality pictures,  when i do it in flash it makes the tv look terrible (the display)

IPB Image

I have set up everything properly, and for some reason im having poor quality pictures while playing DVD's,  Do i need a HDTV Cable for the dvd player too, or I NEED A HD DVD Player for that to work?

Can Anyone Help me out?

EDIT - I realized, I posted in the wrong section which it should be in hardware instead.  Sorry bout that.

KingOne

• Archived User
Hdtv - Is This Any Good?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 01:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(frogsmasha @ Dec 26 2005, 02:36 AM) View Post

I would recommend taking that SlimFit back to the store to get the Widescreen version. I cannot stress this enough
GO GET THE 16:9!!
If it doesn't fit (looks like it) make it fit. Go buy another cart.

xbox 360 games and HIGH DEF content is primarily widescreen

Also forgot to mention, this tv has 16:9 as well.

So this is the right choice though? and it has 1080i support and 720p (support as well)

IllusiveX

• Archived User
Hdtv - Is This Any Good?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 01:36:00 AM »

ya i got a 30in widescreen hdtv for christmas myself and ill never go back to 4:3  tongue.gif  but the tv u did get is very nice just trust me widescreen is where its at! o and it does support 1080i and 720p  smile.gif

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
Hdtv - Is This Any Good?
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 03:05:00 AM »

yeah, that looks more like 4x3 than 16x9...

16x9 is a must, as far as im concerned and as far as gaming is concerned.

id save a little more dough and get something your really going to be able to enjoy...
only 4 more payments and my TVs paid off...

StangMan04

• Archived User
Hdtv - Is This Any Good?
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 10:29:00 AM »

I bought myself a LG 32'' LCD HDTV Widescreen... she is gonna look so nice once I get a 360, im gonna wait still until they become more plentiful in stores, not worth waking up at 6am for one, atleast for me. Cuz they arent going anywhere.

Johnny Johnson

• Archived User
Hdtv - Is This Any Good?
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 11:10:00 AM »

Here is the TV I would recommend, based on various high ratings and the great price:   biggrin.gif

http://www.tacp.tosh...sp?model=26HF85

thebroken

• Archived User
Hdtv - Is This Any Good?
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 11:35:00 AM »

i used vga cables and set the resolution on mine to 1280x1024

ChldsPlay

• Archived User
Hdtv - Is This Any Good?
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »

Are you using HD cables?

ShadowElitePro

• Archived User
Hdtv - Is This Any Good?
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 12:33:00 PM »

Looks good to me! I trust Samsung.  smile.gif

mathias

• Archived User
Hdtv - Is This Any Good?
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(msshakir @ Dec 26 2005, 07:22 PM) View Post

I have a question for you guys I would like to get help on?
I have a 42 inch plasma HD TV and when I hooked my XBox 360 on there i was hoping to get a 1080i picture. I went to the setting on the Xbox and put on 1080i but everytime I turn it on and try to play a game, it only plays in 480i. I am confused. I dont know how to change it.
can you please help. sad.gif

you sure your plasma supports it? most plasmas are not true HDTV... most are edtv and won't support 1080i or 720p and make sure you have the hdtv switch on the cable switched...

Ballz2TheWallz

• Archived User
Hdtv - Is This Any Good?
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 08:25:00 PM »

plasma=fixed pixel display
fpd=progressive resolution>interlaced

ImDaWiseGuy

• Archived User
Hdtv - Is This Any Good?
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 08:38:00 PM »

well i think any high def tv is needed for the 360 but yeah 16:9 is the way to go...and well sad but true from many sources and reviews dvd playback on the 360 stinks

jaygould30

• Archived User
Hdtv - Is This Any Good?
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 09:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(grogger13 @ Dec 26 2005, 07:41 PM) View Post

i heard the xbox 360 set on 1080i looks worse than it does on 720p regardless of the native resolution of the tv.  Anyne hear this too?

Yea everyone says this because simple put 720 is progressive and 1080 is interlaced. Progressive is better for moving images and is why most consider it better for gaming. Also basic image quality isn't that much of an improvement from 720 to 1080 anyway. I personally have always thought 720p looked better for just about everything compared to 1080i. But everyones eyes work differently so to each his own.