xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Rgb And Vga Pinouts  (Read 482 times)

Arakon

• Archived User
Rgb And Vga Pinouts
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2005, 07:12:00 PM »

That's interesting.. does the resolution option remain even after you unplug the HD and boot the box up? that would confirm that the dash/bios is indeed updatable through live.

btw, it could also be that your monitor dislikes the 360 signal some, have you had a chance to try the cable on another monitor?

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Rgb And Vga Pinouts
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2005, 10:22:00 PM »

That's interesting.. does the resolution option remain even after you unplug the HD and boot the box up? that would confirm that the dash/bios is indeed updatable through live.

Yes, the updated 1280x1024 res remains (and shows up in the dash as a res option) when booted up, with no hdd present.

btw, it could also be that your monitor dislikes the 360 signal some, have you had a chance to try the cable on another monitor?

I have not, but will some time.  I'm thinking opening my monitor, and tweaking the brightness and contrast defaults to compensate for the 360.  Hopefully that will help.

This post has been edited by Foe-hammer: Nov 24 2005, 06:25 AM

BallinBoy

• Archived User
Rgb And Vga Pinouts
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »

I tried this out, and I think it's great! smile.gif  But my brightness is really low, if I max the brightness on my monitor it looks almost normal.  The strange thing is when it first boots up the brightness is perfect for about 1 second and then turns dark.  I was wondering if anyone knows what's happening?  Thanks!

frobnitzz

• Archived User
Rgb And Vga Pinouts
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2005, 09:32:00 AM »

I'm making my own at the moment from the standard composite cable.

I ripped the 360 end apart so I was just left with the black plug, then commenced wiring. I've not soldered the connections, but wrapped each wire round its corresponding pin - should do the job right?

I checked the connections with a multimeter to ensure that the pins inside the 360 and match up with the vga end and they do. Checked I had no shorts (except for ground and pins 20-21 of course) then glooped hot glue gun over it all to keep it all in place.

Plugged it in last night but it didn't work, just got a red flashing light on the xbox - which presumable means to cable is connected. Wasn't in very tight and I'm wondering if it's even in enough...

I've one theory as to why it didn't work - that being the outer casing on the 360 end isn't there anymore, I didn't put it back on... I'm guessing it needs to be put back on and connected to ground in order for the 360 to pick the cable up? I get this because looking at the 360 itself there are metal tabs round the inside of the port.

I'll post a pic of my ghetto creation later.

I'd just buy a cable if I could find one! (not paying ebay prices!)

Funny - not - thing is I've got no other cable so can't play on my 360 at the mo!

chopps

• Archived User
Rgb And Vga Pinouts
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2005, 06:51:00 AM »

Frobnitzz,

I don't believe the xbox needs to have the outer ground in order to boot.

I made a similar modification to my composite lead, and wired it to an existing RGB Scart cable I had spare.

Before I fully reaseembled it, I tried it with just the 360 plastic connector without fitting the metal shields, and it booted and played fine.

I would highly recommend that you solder the connector on, though the pins are very close together so take your time and get some desolder braid before you start.

Arakon

• Archived User
Rgb And Vga Pinouts
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2005, 07:34:00 AM »

the black part actually goes in very deep into the 360 connector, it takes some force to get it in all the way if the rest of the casing is missing.. and even more to get it back out, you'd likely rip the wires off again.
you're best off putting the casing back around it, at the very least the metal one.

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
Rgb And Vga Pinouts
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »

REALLY old bump

but I thought this was a useful topic, came across it in the search a few dyas ago

motivated me to do the mod myself cause i didnt wanna spend the 40 bucks on a vga cable when i knew i could  do it myself.

well, here goes: (yes, the pics are really crappy, my webcam has to hold me over till my new camera arrives)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/g0t_m4xx_21/Dev/Picture18.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/g0t_m4xx_21/Dev/Picture17.jpg)

Each signal on the VGA port is twisted around its respective ground, to reduce interferance, and I used some actual audio coax cable to hook up the audio to the jack i installed. As you can probably see, I didn't rip apart the metal shield on the AVIP, i just ran the wires under the motherboard and soldered them to the pins down there (they're convienently numbered the same as in Speedy22's Xbox 360 headers and connectors document: dwl.xbox-scene.com/tutorial/Xbox_360-HandC-V1_4.pdf )

As for the wire that must be grounded to enable VGA mode, I found an unused pin on the VGA plug that is tied to ground inside my monitor or something, so when there's nothing connected to the VGA port the 360 functions normally based on what's connected into the AVIP, but as soon as a VGA cable is plugged in it goes into VGA mode.

the overall result was very good, looks amazing at 1280x1024

This post has been edited by G0t M4xx 21: Jun 1 2006, 08:14 PM
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]