xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Supported Audio Formats  (Read 78 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Supported Audio Formats
« on: November 03, 2005, 07:53:00 PM »

I thought I'd shed some light on the audio formats supported by the Xbox 360...

I had to go back to Best Buy today for other business and thought I'd checkout the Kiosk to learn anything I could about the AV formats

I couldn't see what VGA resolutions are supported because the Kiosks run on Component Video cable (which the Dashboard knew) so my only options were 480p 720p and 1080i... Somehow it also knew that the display was widescreen and would not let me choose otherwise.

As for Audio I had a plethora of choices

First I was offered an option of either Analog or Digital

under Analog I was able to choose
-Mono
-Pro Logic IIx

under Digital I was able to choose
-PCM digital Stereo
-Dolby Digital 5.1
-WMA Pro

This is VERY interesting...
The first thing I noticed was no option for DTS. The current gen Xbox supports DTS it seems silly to me that the next gen Xbox would not.
The next thing I noticed was that it DOES support Pro Logic IIx, which (you'd know this if you've read the sticky) is a true 7.1 surround format.
And of course MS's own WMA Pro digital audio format is supported along with the Requisite Mono.

So I give kudos for the PL IIx but wonder where the DTS went... I'd ask why it doesn't support things like DTS: Neo 6 but I would imagine if it doesn't support one DTS format it probably doesn't support any of them.

This was just the Kiosk I have no idea how closely this will match the final options available in the retail units. We know for a fact that the Kiosks are watered down software wise so who knows DTS might be available in the final unit...

Also I found out why the Kiosk at my best buy isn't working... because some ASSHAT put a parental lock on it preventing it from playing any and all media and games. Which pretty much means I could zoom across the dashboard but that was about it.

If anyone knows what the code is to disable the parental lock on these things I would greatly appreciate it. I would have tried the code for the current gen Xbox but I couldn't remember it.