xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Monitors And Audio  (Read 166 times)

Carlo210

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« on: October 09, 2005, 11:29:00 PM »

PM TwistedSymphony or wait until he replies here. You need a r/l rca audio jack to headphone jack convertor.
You can also hook simple 2-speaker pc speakers up to it with a similar convertor.

Also, with your monitor, you will need a VGA female to female convertor. This is because the vga jack for your monitor is a male type (pins going outwards) and the vga jack for the xbox 360 would be a male type as well (pins going outwards). A vga female to female convertor simply has two female type jacks (pins going, in a sense, inwards - allows male outward pins to plug inside) connected together to let your two male jacks connect.

This is an example: http://www.tigerdire...51011&CatId=467

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 11:38:00 PM »

That depends on the monitor.  My Sun is the other way around.

You should be able to do audio with a cheap converter from Radio Shack.  Make sure you get a stereo one.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 07:13:00 AM »

Yeah Carlo is correct about the VGA female/female adapter... Typically you'll only need this if your monitor has the VGA cable hardwired. If your monitor simply has a VGA socket (like most LCDs, HDTVs or Projectors) then the Xbox VGA adapter should plug right in.

As for audio, All of the Xbox cables terminate into male Stereo RCA. And most PC speakers are looking to plug into a Female 1/8" stereo jack.

So you'll need one of these:

user posted image

Plug it directly into your Speakers. If your speakers happen to have the male 1/8" jack hard wired then you'll need a Female/Female 1/8" stereo coupler in addition to the cable above:

user posted image

Make sure it's a "STEREO" coupler and NOT a "PHONO" coupler, a phono coupler will transform the Xbox audio into a mono signal... which is probably something you don't want to do  wink.gif

Ballz2TheWallz

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 04:03:00 PM »

user posted image

Carlo210

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Oct 10 2005, 03:24 PM)
Yeah Carlo is correct about the VGA female/female adapter... Typically you'll only need this if your monitor has the VGA cable hardwired. If your monitor simply has a VGA socket (like most LCDs, HDTVs or Projectors) then the Xbox VGA adapter should plug right in.

biosehnsucht

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 09:32:00 PM »

pc speakers generally have an amp built in

not a big one, but neither are the speakers big

or if they are, they have a big one biggrin.gif

xbox should output line level voltage - which is what your computer would

VariableElite

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 09:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(lNimoy @ Oct 15 2005, 08:28 PM)
I was talking to the guy at my local Radio Shack today. He says I need an amplifier to do this... You guys say nothing about that. Doesn't really make a lot of sense to me, seems like you guys have been doing this for awhile without one. Chances are he probably just didn't understand me, but I don't know. If one is easy to get, can someone get me a link to a RCA/headphone jack like the one shown above?

View Post

biosehnsucht

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 04:46:00 PM »

Yes and no. That'll work as good as getting a few audio cables and connecting all the grounds and all the non grounds together - it works, but its shit.

one thing you can do is look for computer speakers that have built in headphone output, or run the xbox to the line in on your pc and hookup your headphones to the PC as you normally would. headphone amps for line input sources are almost nonexistant except for crazy high end stuff, but you can always get a cheap old receiver at a pawn shop or something that has tape/cd inputs (not phono) and use that with a 1/4 to 1/8" headphone adapter.. plus you can listen to the radio!  tongue.gif

lNimoy

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »

Meh, as of now, I'm forgetting the headphone idea. I'll just use my computer speakers with that adapter. I'm basically assuming you are saying that adapter in that link I gave would work for PC speakers, but crappy with headphones. I'm going to want to lug this thing to LAN parties and such, so I don't really want to have to haul a receiver around too tongue.gif

Jackalpupz

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 06:59:00 AM »

Hi,  I have a question with audio also when using moniters and dont wanta make a new thread for it so ill post here.  I have those audio cables that are in the picture but they split to two male outlets instead.  I have it plugged from my computer to my reciever that runs two big speakers for my computer.  Now the question is,  when I hook up my moniter to the xbox360 with the VGA HD cable will there be sound coming from my speakers from the Xbox360?  Or no?  If not,  what would I have to do to make that happen?

Jackalpupz

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 03:09:00 PM »

Oh okay,  So I just plug the RCA's that come with my Xbox(Core version) directly into my Reciever just red/white to have sound?  

P.S reason I bought Core is becuz every 360 was sold out.  Bought the 20gig harddrive Separate.

mtommy79

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(Jackalpupz @ Nov 2 2005, 05:20 PM)
P.S reason I bought Core is becuz every 360 was sold out.  Bought the 20gig harddrive Separate.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 03:49:00 PM »

how exactly are they sold out if they haven't gone on sale yet?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 08:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(Jackalpupz @ Nov 2 2005, 08:38 PM)
Eh,  what I ment was they are all reserved out/sold.  Im not gunna camp outside just to guarantee me a Xbox360.  So yes,  like I said.....  there all gone and my only choice was a core version.  I dont mind spending the extra cash to guarantee me a system.  Plus,  dont care for wireless controllers,  dont care for remote,  and dont need no HD cable for my TV.  Only thing that interests me in the 360 version is the harddrive and headset.

Jackalpupz

• Archived User
Monitors And Audio
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 03:04:00 PM »

Nope,  everywhere is pre ordered out.  Ill pass on paying 600-700 bucks for a 360 version on Ebay.  Ill just spend the extra cash for the accesseries if I want them.  Its just money,  you make it then spend it and then make more... not a problem.