xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: D.v.i.  (Read 167 times)

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« on: October 06, 2005, 05:11:00 PM »

is dvi possible for xbox or xbox 360? and is it better than componant?

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 07:12:00 PM »

It's been said by one of the xbox execs that 360 is capable of outputting DVI, but no word on whether it will feature it or not.  And no xb1 can not support it.  DVI is supoosed to give you the best picture of all inputs (composite, component, VGA, etc.)  And in case ur wondering HDMI is the same as DVI except DVI does not carry an audio signal.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 08:07:00 AM »

yeah at the Intel Conference (I think) MS showed off the 360 and said it was capable of HDMI, though there are no plans to release and HDMI or DVI cable at this time.

A general rule of thumb for the pecking order of Video types, some of these carry audio and video, some carry just video:

Modulated RF < Composite < S-Video (S-VHS SCART) < Component < RGB (RGB SCART) < VGA (DVI-A) < HDMI (DVI-D)

Anything below Component is only capable of producing SD (480i) images. Component is capable of ED (480p) and HD (720p, and 1080i) and the items above Component are capable of varying computer resolutions in addition to SD, ED and HD.

Of course the display and the source device can limit these items but the above describes the limits of the transfer medium.

Modulated RF has the video signal as a single analog wave, then that data is modulated along a coax cable with hundreds of other signals and split out by the TV before entering a comb filter and being displayed.

Composite is the same as Modulated RF expect it doesn't share it's cable with anything.

S-Video separates out the color information from the Black and white.

Component separate out the color information across 2 matrixed cable then the 3rd carries the black and white (Component is capable of ED and HD signals while S-video is not)

RGB separates out each of the 3 base colors into their own channels, which is somewhat superior to Component in most cases.

VGA separates out each of the 3 base colors as well as the vertical and horizontal syncing signals making it superior to RGB.

HDMI (or DVI-D) is a pure digital signal with no compression and sets the values in the picture pixel by pixel.

DVI is really "DVI-I" which can carry both VGA and HDMI type video signals, DVI-A is a form of DVI that ONLY carries VGA type analog signals. DVI-D is a form of DVI that ONLY carries HDMI type digital signals.

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 11:14:00 AM »

[/QUOTE]Of course the display and the source device can limit these items but the above describes the limits of the transfer medium.

speaking of the source device, is thier techniclly anything on the market right now thats doing true high def?  since the source has to be high definition and thier isnt any hd-dvd's or blurays discs out yet?   is the only true hd being displayed on pc games right now?  do you guys know what i mean?  itslike the xbox1 can do hd, combined with thier hd av pack, but the dvdroms arent "hd-dvd"

and do games that are backed up and run off the xbox1's hard drive suffer any video quality loss? i think some games definetly loose audio quality.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »

tongue.gif

What does HD-DVD stand for?
Most people think "High Definition Digital Video Disc" when actually it's "High Density Digital Versatile Disc" again it can store ANYTHING, just MORE of it  beerchug.gif

As far as HD content available today
-OTA or Over The Air: Broadcast HDTV available in most densely populated area, offers lots of free HD content if you have an appropriate Receiver (be it built in or stand alone)
-Cable/Satellite Feeds: Pay your provider about an extra $60 and you too can get a whole 5 or 6 extra channels in HD
-HTPCs Most PCs can output in HDTV resolutions, Most will have VGA or DVI outputs but a few mobos built for HTPC use will have Component outputs as well. You can do your typical computing, play games, and play WMV-HD videos, which can be either downloaded (or purchased on DVD discs)  http://www.wmvhd.com If you're wondering YES the 360 will be able to play these discs, Yes they're typically split up over multiple discs (because DVDs are too small for the amount of content) and NO there really arn't any good movies available in this format (Terminator 2 is the only Hollywood movie, everything else available is a science documentary).
-WMV HD players, hitting the market this holiday, stand alone players for WMV HD discs (hopefully we'll get some good movies along with it)
-Up-Scaling DVD players, They take your ED movies and upscale the picture into HD. They're a bit more expensive than normal DVD players but definitely worth it.
-Your Xbox There are about 20 something games that can produce true HD graphics, Most have kind of crappy graphics to begin with but there are a few gems (Soul Caliber 2, Amped 2, THPS4+, True Crimes, Xmen Legends, etc). As for DVD playback on your Xbox, using XBMC or Avalaunch as your DVD player they can upscale your DVD to HD 720p, though I've heard that they have trouble sometimes with HD 1080i.

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 03:45:00 PM »

beerchug.gif  (example) yes i thought hd-dvd meant high def digital versatile disc laugh.gif

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 08:42:00 AM »

i was out last night and stopped by circuit city, best buy, and comp usa.
none of them carried a vga(m) to dvi(m). am i correct in assuming that this cable would allow me to plug my p.c. into my dvi input on my tv to use it as a monitor? after learning dvi did not carry audio, i looked on the back of my tv and noticed 2 dvi audio inputs....so i was wondering how i would get audio from the computer to the tv.....

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 10:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(NeuroChemist @ Oct 9 2005, 06:53 AM)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(NeuroChemist @ Oct 9 2005, 10:53 AM)

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 09:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Oct 9 2005, 10:41 AM)
you mean a Stereo 1/8" Male plug to Stereo RCA Y adapter  wink.gif

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 12:14:00 PM »

thanx guys,   ill be ordering that cable now,   i cant stand these idot store employes anymore,   when i asked 4 a vga(m) to dvi(m) at best buy the guy brought me to ide cables and a gender changer kit that had nothing to do with vga or dvi.........

edit:  im at cables to go and have found this male2male http://www.cablestog...=2801&sku=26954

im my spec. sheet for tv it doesnt say if its dvi-i or dvi-a        how would i go about finding that out?  this seems to be the easiest way to use my tv as a monitor.

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(NeuroChemist @ Oct 10 2005, 10:25 AM)
thanx guys,   ill be ordering that cable now,   i cant stand these idot store employes anymore,   when i asked 4 a vga(m) to dvi(m) at best buy the guy brought me to ide cables and a gender changer kit that had nothing to do with vga or dvi.........

soloredd

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 12:43:00 PM »

huh.gif

Unless you are speaking in terms of over 12 months. With Comcast it's $5/mo.

Yeah, they do skimp on channels though, I get about 12 with my local service. But OTA (antenna) is difficult unless you want to get an antenna for your roof or you live in very open spaces, which I don't.

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 03:01:00 PM »

I guess my signature is just useless.... why didn't you listen?! haha Maybe I should change it to "Don't ask a BestBuy employee anything..." lol

hahaha, sorry i usually dont pay attention to anyones sig....also he walked up to me with like a manager and asked if i was looking for something ,  i think they thought  i was gonna try to steal something, but otherwise i never ask these ppl for anything. ill go almost everywhere before bestbuy smile.gif

so does any one know about my question?

found this male2male http://www.cablestog...=2801&sku=26954

im my spec. sheet for tv it doesnt say if its dvi-i or dvi-a how would i go about finding that out? this seems to be the easiest way to use my tv as a monitor.

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
D.v.i.
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

at this same visit to bestbuy i overheard perhaps the dumbest peice of conversation ever. Anyone ever see louis black's stand up when he talked about hearing something so dumb you wanna go over and ask what the hell they are talking about?

when i was walking out of the store i walked by 2 woman to appeard to have not seen each other in awhile, so im walking by and i see one of thier faces look puzzeld....as she says..."Oh where are you coming back from?" the other says "Asia" then the other one says "Asia?........ohhh ya ok, asia i think iknow where that is."