xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Will My 360 Connect To My 5.1?  (Read 169 times)

spartan_k3b

• Archived User
How Will My 360 Connect To My 5.1?
« on: September 11, 2005, 12:31:00 AM »

I purchased a 5.1 surround sound system in preparation for my new HD entertainment experience with the Xbox 360 at the center, of course.  However, I'm a little confused as to how I'm supposed to connect the 360 to my sound setup and get 5.1....
  I am new to the 5.1 sound issue.  I was confused at how I was supposed to get 5.1 channels of sound out of only two audio cables, (red/white cables) but I have since learned that it isn't possible, and that an advanced AV pack is needed(w/ the current xbox).  I will be getting myself the premium xbox 360 package, with that said, how will I connect my 360 to my speakers and actually get 5.1.   My Speakers have 2 rca (red/white) inputs, and one spdif input...(i think that's what it is).  I've read in these forums that there will be a socket for a digital toslink audio output....    I don't know what that is.. but as far as I can tell, I need to plug that digital toslink thingy to my spdif input on my speakers....  

Well, I hope somebody can make sense of my nonsense, and help me out.
A website link and or pictures would be really helpfull....  

thanks for your time.

aepuppetmaster

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »

u need an optical cable (digital) to get 5.1 on the 360 or for that matter the xbox

spartan_k3b

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 12:55:00 AM »

After looking around on the web, I'm getting the idea that the input on my 5.1 speakers is not a spdif input.  It looks like an S-video type input...   is it spdif or something else?
Anybody even know what I'm talking about...
hufff.... I'm worried I might not have my setup ready for the 360... :uhh:

Later, like tomorrow, I may be able to get a pic of the inputs with a camera and post them up to help.

spartan_k3b

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 01:47:00 AM »

the input on my speakers is a G9....   glad I figured that out... although I think I need to start a new thread or somethin now.. sheesh.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 08:41:00 AM »

what brand and model speakers do you have?

Also you can get surround sound out of analog left/right
Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS Neo 6, etc are all surround sound modes that are connected by way of stereo red/white plugs.

The 360 supports these modes though I don't know how many games will actually give you the option to use them.

There was only 1 Xbox game out of the entire catalog that supported any of those modes, on the other hand almost all GameCube and Dreamcast games had support for Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Pro Logic respectively. A lot of PS2 games support Pro Logic Surround sound as well (though it does so through both the analog cables as well as though an optical toslink connection)

With that Said most analog based Surround sound modes like those mentioned above are inferior to digital surround sound modes such as Dolby Digital and DTS.

Most Xbox titles and ALL Xbox 360 titles support Dolby Digital.

In order to decode dolby digital from an Xbox you NEED an optical toslink connection, it is the only way the Xbox outputs that kind of signal.

If your surround system only accecpt digital coaxial then you essentially have 3 options:

1. Modify the Xbox or Xbox360 to include a digital coaxial output (probably the cheapest and best looking option)

2. Modify the Surround receiver to include a digital toslink input (probably the hardest but still relatively cheap option)

3. Buy a converter to change the optical signal to a coaxial signal http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/...SP-OPTICAL-COAX
at $25+cables it's the most expensive option but it's also the easiest

If you need more info simply read the stickies that are available to you right in this forum (we don't stick them for nothing you know) :rolleyes:

kendrid

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 12:36:00 PM »

What brand is your HT gear?

If the digital input looks like a normal RCA type connector, you will need a toslink to coax digital converter.  They sell for about $30.

Any new HT system should have toslink or coax digital inputs.  Look on the back of the receiver and see.