xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Tuner Ecessary?  (Read 212 times)

Tacoma_Kyle

• Archived User
Tuner Ecessary?
« on: June 28, 2005, 08:06:00 PM »

One question I havent found an answer to...

Ok, you can save a couple hundred bucks or more if you buy a HD ready TV instead of a built in HD tuner (just a SD). But do you need a HDTV with a built in HD tuner (or a seperate HD tuner with a HD ready-tv) in order to get the 1080i and/or 720p quality out of a 360 or will the 360 deal with the signals and no HD tuner is necessary?

Thanks.

AE6689

• Archived User
Tuner Ecessary?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 09:10:00 PM »

HD ready means that the TV has the ability to show an HD signal from an outside source.  HD built-in means that you can hook up an antenna and watch High-def signals over the air.  I have an HD built in TV and am able to get FOX, ABC, NBC and several other stations in high definition.  If you don't care about that/or you are going to get HD TV from your cable/satelite provider then I wouldn't spend the extra money.  (All providers I know of make you use their cable box regardless of if your tv has, "HD built in.")  Just make sure the TV you are going to buy supports either 720p or 1080i and has component inputs and you should be ready for all the 360 HD goodness you can handle.   laugh.gif  (So no you don't have to have a tuner)

Tacoma_Kyle

• Archived User
Tuner Ecessary?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 12:16:00 AM »

Excellent, thanks for clearing that up.