xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is Media Center Required For 360  (Read 252 times)

Twasi

• Archived User
Is Media Center Required For 360
« on: June 27, 2005, 01:28:00 AM »

I'm not sure to what extent you can do thing's with windows XP but I'm possitive you can have connectivity with a windows XP (non-media center) and the 360, I think you can still stream with it. Ontop of that M$ will release a free media center update that allows your PC to stream to the 360 for people who already have windows XP media center. Here's an article discussing it all.
http://www.xpmce.com...experience.html

Twasi

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 01:44:00 AM »

Sorry to double post, but I couldn't edit my message in time! please ignore my above post, I looked it all up and here is more accurate imformation.

You will need windows XP mce to stream your content through from your PC to your 360 and here is a short description for the update for people who already have XP mce.

The Xbox 360 Media Center Extender will be driven by the remote control that comes with the device. Users must have an XP MCE 2005-based PC to drive the console, and MS will ship a free software update, code-named Emerald, that will update XP MCE 2005 to support the new Xbox 360 features. These features include full HDTV support for both live TV and recorded TV. That means that the Media Center Extenders in Xbox 360 will be able to stream HDTV broadcasts over a home network, a capability today's Extenders lack.

And for those who don't have Windows XP mce. here is an explanation on how that works.

If you don't have an XP-based Media Center PC, Xbox 360 will use Windows Media Connect technology to interact with the digital media content on your XP-based PCs over your home network. This experience won't be as rich as the Extender experience, but will instead use regular Xbox 360 menus via its "Access Music or Photos" interface. Additionally, you can use this interface to interact with audio CDs or photo disks, music you've ripped directly to the Xbox 360 hard disk, music stored on attached MP3 players, or photos stored on attached digital cameras.

And here is the article.
http://www.windowsit...46436.html?Ad=1

nectar12

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 08:42:00 AM »

That sucks.

That's exactly my thought.. Looks like I'll be sticking with XBMC on Xbox1 for a while.. that shit kicks more ass than any media center the 360 could ever begin to kick anyway.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 09:26:00 AM »

I knew something like this would happen, exactly what i was talking about in my post in the general forum. dry.gif

Like i said the media center in 360 is gonna suck. So for all those ppl that are saying they wont mod the 360 cause they dont see the reason to; well here is reason No.1

KeYlime

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 11:56:00 PM »

I was afraid MS would use this opportunity to force everyone to buy a new pc with media center, It's a lot of money just for a fancy windows media player interface. At least there is some hope that I will still be able have a some basic features without mce.
I'd rather not have two consoles in the living room

Twasi

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 01:35:00 AM »

There is good news though for people looking to buy a new PC sometime, http://www.betanews....r_PC/1119536435
It is extremely cheap and comes with a good processor, video card, XP mce 2005, and a 200 gig HDD. smile.gif  For those of you who won't be getting a new pc I'm sure when it's hacked someone will write a 3rd party app that will let you stream media to it. beerchug.gif

The.Deceitful

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 12:54:00 PM »

Holy S**t!!! That XP MCE 2005 is better than my PC now. Even at $599 that is friggen cheap!! ANd at that I know I can get it cheaper knowing that it exists and the serial id. Thanks Twasi, now I have to hunt one down. Only because I'll do what I have to untill the 360 is modded with a homebrew app for this, and it's an upgraded PC to mine.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 06:17:00 AM »

Actually I'm not sure that is entirely correct...

MS has stated that you will be able to connect with a regular old Win XP machine (it's even listed in the fact sheet separate from the MCE)... the 360 INCLUDES a media center extender but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the only way we'll be able to stream data  wink.gif

Twasi

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 06:35:00 AM »

Yeah all the articles that have been posted so far say that you can connect with a non-MCE XP but they all say there will be limitations with what you can do with it. So if you want to have the full experience you need MCE =\  I don't think there will be a standard FTP service to it and I don't imagine how you would be able to stream to it unless M$ lets you do it without a MCE machine. Right now it judging by what they have said it looks like you need a MCE machine to stream but the articles are old and hopefuly their plans have changed.

MrBones

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 09:52:00 AM »

Is there something specific about MCE that would make it able to stream something XP wouldn't???

Not as far as I know.  MCE is just a version of XP with extended functions assuming you have the hardware for it.  That said, I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to do it from XP.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »

well its kinda like how they make you think you have to go through all the shit to make a work group. when all you need is a router. type in that computers name and boom, your networked. F! workgroups

im not sure why they would limit it to MCE but its easily gotten around

Moleman

• Recovered User
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 11:22:00 PM »

XP connect software (you probably already have it) lets you stream pictures and music, but MCE lets you stream video with all sorts of codecs.

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 03:15:00 PM »

Why would anyone think Media Centre is required for Xbox360? How stupid are people these days?

ntmattman

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 08:58:00 PM »

TO WATCH LIVE TV ON THE 360 YOU WILL NEED A PC WITH MCE 2005 WITH TUNER CARD---IF YOU DONT CARE ABOUT TV RECORDINGS, THAN XP WILL BE FINE. IT WILL SHARE ALL MUSIC ECT