xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Hd Formats - Update  (Read 672 times)

aepuppetmaster

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Hd Formats - Update
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2005, 01:14:00 AM »

i think in the end m$ plan can best be summed up by the saying "penny wise, ppound foulish"   they are gunna end up running themselves into a wall when i comes to marketing in the long term.   Not for the fact that the up scale, which is good and bad.  Rather for the fact that they don't include digital outs.  I have an hd tv and i can personly testify that moving from component out to dvi was worth it.  i can only imagine sony's marketing campaign about how they are the only true digital experience and how they fully suport the hd experience..this will especially become evident in later year when digital will be incresinly important.

also on the subject of the up scalling and down scalling, its pretty smart.  Think of how much easier it will be for developers.  The only downside is for ppl with 4:3 tv's.  I wish it have a menu fuction to change from 1080i to 720p  because at some point i'd if ur tv has both u'd rather have the progresive and not the up scaled interleaced shit

Mynameisbt

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2005, 11:28:00 AM »

on my HDTV there is only a slight difference in picture quality between DVI and Component when I connect my comcast HDTV box.  Mine is a CRT HDTV, that could be why.  I really dont care if they use component or dvi/hdmi, both look great to me.

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2005, 02:29:00 PM »

If you guys want, you can check out the Faqs to answer your questions.

I've had my mind set on a 27" Sanyo Hdtv for a while now simply because I do not mind letterboxing bars.
Then lately I've decided a progressive choice would be best. So I started looking at some flat panelt lcds around 15-30", but the response times are just fu^king horrible. The only high quality flat panels that suits my style (i hate lagging and ghosting) are the DLPS which are  around 50" and above my price range incredibly, so I'm stuck in a rut.

I don't want to spend a fortune on a flat panel, leaving me with a smaller size, and I don't want a cheesy classic lcd fuzzy ghosting display, so that leaves me with what, crts? But I want a progressive resolution. ARGH

People still go on that flat panels are the god of tv's, but the quality and technology in them stiill havent, personally, caught up to my likes. I wan't a sharp crisp picture when in action and motion filled scenes an sequences, but I haven't found a display like that yet in my price range. God, are these things expensive.
1500$ for a 30" hd Lcd display with clear artifacting or a 30" hd Crt display with a crisp, quick, and sharp picture.

For gaming, since that is what my new bedroom television will be for, I need something that can stay crisp and clear, not full of lcd artifacts.

It's really been pissing me off. I would be fine with a crt hd display, but all this bashing of the 1080i resolution forces me to go towards the expensive artifacting world of 30" lcd's just for 720p.

Any suggestions?

By the way, my price range is 0$-800$ Canadian, roughly.

To get the xbox360 near release, or even a month after, I will be forced to hold on my tv purchase and use my xbox360 on my 20 year old den tv. After I make enough money, i can get a hd tv for my bedroom within my own time, but I still dont want to blow over 1k canadian on a tv. I'm a teenager who wants an hd tv in my room that can display 720p and is more than 25" (widescreen size).

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2005, 06:04:00 AM »

pop.gif

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2005, 07:47:00 AM »

beerchug.gif

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2005, 06:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(crustyteacup @ Jul 6 2005, 03:08 AM)
well thats 4 years time, and by that time everyone will be talking about the next xbox anyways, nobody will really care about the 360 anymore. plus thats only the US, there are other markets where this will not be the case.

photoposite

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2005, 05:58:00 PM »

Yeah man, I personally would go for the crt.  I got a crt and a lcd both hd about two months back.  The lcd is great for movies, but the crt is better for games, no artifacting at all on the crt.  The lcd does artifact and does have progressive, but for my money, the native res of 1080i and interlaced is good enough for me.  The differences between the two are minute at best.  I hear people all the time complaining about progressive and interlaced, which is better.   Having both, I can assure you that the 1080i is great and hey, it's cheaper.  Only thing is, the tv is a 4:3 but my tv does have vertical compression so it doesn't use the black area to draw lines of resolution and squeazes the res in a smaller space.  Awesome.

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2005, 06:37:00 PM »

laugh.gif
 beerchug.gif

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2005, 04:53:00 PM »

If you want a reasonably priced 30" or 34" CRT check out www.outlet.philips.com

I got one and its fantastic.

photoposite

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2005, 06:43:00 PM »

yeah carlo, thats cool.  you cant beat 179.99.  I am going all out for plasma next, but the two i just bought will keep me until then.  I got two monitors, one 17" 720p and the other 19" 720p both crt's.  The lcd's look nice, but the ghosting is a pet peve of mine.  Good solution considering the cash though.  Oh yeah, happy b-day also.  My b-day was on the 11th of July, though I'm 10 years older than you, lol.  Peace.

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2005, 10:25:00 AM »

laugh.gif  gift.gif

photoposite

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2005, 01:58:00 PM »

Thats the truth man.  I am an avid pc gamer also.  I have the vdigi vga box and it rocks for xbox.  In addition to my two pc monitors, I got two hd's recently one crt, one lcd.  I can say that the image quality is the same on the hd's and the pc monitors.  The field of vision for me is better on a pc monitor anyway.  My only problem is that I got a kick ass sound system downstairs and I guess I'll have to take the 19" downstairs to see if the pc monitor is better when the 360 launches.

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »

Nice, a 19" monitor. LCD? If it's a 19" LCD then I'm guessing it doesn't have a great refesh rate (maybe near 16ms).
If it's a crt, then what kind?
Dell? I've heard many problems about Dell monitors, alot of customer disatisfaction.
What kind of monitor?

photoposite

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2005, 10:59:00 PM »

Both my pc monitors are sony and both are crt.  I tend to rag on sony alot, but these crt's are great.  We got alot of lcd's in the server room where I work, we play games on them also, the refresh on those are 8ms.  They are 17" and all but two are sony's.  The other two is a regular samsung 17" and the other is the 26" monster of a samsung that costs like $1500 I think that M$ is using for the xbox360 kiosks.  They are pretty good, and my boss said I can have one if I want one.  Thats the 17" lcd of course, wish he was talking about the sammy, but hey free is free.  One of the Sony's I got is from work, the 19" I'm using right now to write this reply and I got this one brand new because the IT guy ordered too many about a year back.

aetius

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »

Just wanted to correct a few things people have said in this thread:

1. Despite what everyone keeps saying about the "digital switchover," for most people this will mean nothing at all. The switchover that is being required is only of broadcasting and receiving. Therefore, everyone who gets their TV through cable and satellite will not see anything different and can continue to use the TVs they've always used. Only those who get their channels over the air will need new tuners and most new HDTV's include these. In fact, there are a few non-HD sets that are starting to include them. But since this switchoff is currently in the 2008-9 timeframe, most manufacturers don't bother. However, seeing this now, I believe that by the time the switchover happens all new TVs will have started coming with a digital tuner for a year or so.

2. Also, many 1080i TV's in actuality do a a pseudo-upscaling from 720p. Since these are mainly CRT's, they will convert 720p down to two slightly offset 1980x540p frames and then alternate these to get 1080i. The worst part about this is that some don't even bother with changing the horizontal resolution to 1980 and just leave it at 1280x540. Thankfully, many CRT's are good at compensating for odd resolutions and weird conditions so most people don't notice but lets hope that the 360 scaler does a real upscale and doesn't cheap out using the above method.

3. Also, for those looking for a good, cheap HDTV Samsung makes several units in the 27"-34" range that start as low as $449 retail and can be found as low as $350 if you can find somewhere to sell it to you near cost. The Samsung 2765 gives good image quality for the price and can handle 480p and 1080i but NOT 720p. For that you're looking around $600 for the 26" widescreen model. There are other good sets that have these features but they tend to cost more. Several people around the AVS forums have mentioned an extremely cheap TV based on the same tube at Wal-Mart under a different brand name.

Anyway, just wanted to clear up those things.

Peace
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4