xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Why No Dvd-audio Playback?  (Read 327 times)

devguy

• Archived User
Why No Dvd-audio Playback?
« on: June 07, 2005, 05:40:00 PM »

Since the Xbox 360 does not have a high definition optical drive and is still using only a DVD rom drive, why did they decide to not include DVD-Audio playback on it?

PS3 is getting a blu-ray drive with SACD support, so this is definitely a plus for PS3 IMHO.

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »

well first off, most people dont even know what DVD audio is...

secondly, it would be a waste of time and money to do so, dvd audio and sacd are having troubles due to the battle they are having.

ps3 is ONLY getting SACD because thats sonys baby and they "need" to get it into more peoples hands, where as MS has no ties with dvd audio.

thirdly, any real audio freak wouldnt be caught dead using a console for the purpose of high end audio use, I know I surely wouldnt. Just like I wouldnt use the 360 for hd dvd movie playback, Id get a seperate dedicated player for that.

its not logical to put dvd a into the 360 at this juncture(oh I used a cool word!)

devguy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(Deftech @ Jun 8 2005, 01:58 AM)
thirdly, any real audio freak wouldnt be caught dead using a console for the purpose of high end audio use, I know I surely wouldnt. Just like I wouldnt use the 360 for hd dvd movie playback, Id get a seperate dedicated player for that.

Well, I am not a "real audio freak" as you say, but I think it would be great to see it there.  I did not buy an Xbox because it played dvds.  I bought it for the games, but have a built in DVD player was a big plus.  It may not be the best in the world, but it saved me from buying a separate one.

The same thing would happen with DVD-Audio playback.

whet1134

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 06:48:00 AM »

Actually, it will support DVD-Audio as ANY DVD player does.  Follow: If the games support 5.1 channel audio (Dolby I'm assuming), then there has to be a way to get the audio to your 5.1 speakers.  Thus, if games support 5.1, then movies will support 5.1.  As a result, the 360 plays DVD's.  Thusly, DVD-audio will be supported on Xbox360.

And if my little proof doesn't convince you, this will:  I can play all my DVD-Audio discs on my Xbox1, why take it out in the next console?

richie579

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 09:12:00 AM »

to get true dvd audio quality(96khz or something like that), you need 5.1 analog outputs, 6 rca cables(toslink doesn't have the bandwidth for it)...don't know if ms cares for it...I do fine with with my audigy 2 and windvd...would be a nice feature though.

devguy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 12:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(richie579 @ Jun 10 2005, 05:23 PM)
to get true dvd audio quality(96khz or something like that), you need 5.1 analog outputs, 6 rca cables(toslink doesn't have the bandwidth for it)...don't know if ms cares for it...I do fine with with my audigy 2 and windvd...would be a nice feature though.

Yeah, I was wondering about that.  I've seen on some Panasonic DVD-Audio/SACD players, it has the 5.1 analog outputs.  Does this mean that PS3 will have these?

Actually, it will support DVD-Audio as ANY DVD player does. Follow: If the games support 5.1 channel audio (Dolby I'm assuming), then there has to be a way to get the audio to your 5.1 speakers. Thus, if games support 5.1, then movies will support 5.1. As a result, the 360 plays DVD's. Thusly, DVD-audio will be supported on Xbox360.

And if my little proof doesn't convince you, this will: I can play all my DVD-Audio discs on my Xbox1, why take it out in the next console?

You are right about that, but if it isn't an actual DVD-Audio player, it will give you playback, but at only two channels, which almost defeats the purpose of DVD-Audio.  At least that is what I've been told...

This post has been edited by devguy: Jun 10 2005, 07:13 PM

nectar12

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 12:23:00 PM »

you can play dvd audio discs through a regular dvd player using an optical cable, but you'll only hear the dolby digital 5.1 mix which isnt close to the dvd-a standard...
it would be a great idea for the 360, but fuck.. there havent been very many good dvd audio discs yet.. i mean how many fucking foreigner albums do i need to hear just cause theyre in the dvd audio format?

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 12:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(nectar12 @ Jun 10 2005, 04:34 PM)
you can play dvd audio discs through a regular dvd player using an optical cable, but you'll only hear the dolby digital 5.1 mix which isnt close to the dvd-a standard...
it would be a great idea for the 360, but fuck.. there havent been very many good dvd audio discs yet.. i mean how many fucking foreigner albums do i need to hear just cause theyre in the dvd audio format?

hahaha I know how ya feel man.

and no you dont get true dvd audio unless your running the required analog cables from source to receiver/pre/pro.

The difference, assuming one has good speakers and other audio goodies, from true dvd audio to what nectar described as far as using a toslink, is startling.

This post has been edited by Deftech: Jun 10 2005, 07:49 PM

devguy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »

Yeah, I heard SACD in a sony booth once and it was amazing.

My reciever has the 5.1 analog inputs, but I don't want to shell out the extra money...  I guess eventually I will if the Xbox 360 doesn't do true DVD-Audio playback.   <_<

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 01:17:00 PM »

yeah Whet is right in that any dvd player will play dvd audio...

I'd own more of those things if they actually had some good music on it.. as it is I only have 2 discs and both are Nine Inch Nails albums  :lol:

I think the biggest problem is the fact getting any good quality out of it REQUIRES the use of separate channel pre-amp analog output. You'd think that we'd have a single cable digital solution at this point. No one wants to deal with a rats nest of analog wires these days.

Then again music is REALLY moving towards quantity over quality. In that people would rather have 10000 MP3s on an iPod playing through computer speakers and ear plugs than 15 hi-definition audio tracks playing though speakers that cost more than you computer.

It's just the nature of the beast I guess... I'm quite content with the DTS discs though. At very least there's a better catalog.

DVD-A was fucked up by the RIAA anyway.. they threw a HUGE "digital-watermark" on there that creates a low level buzz and turns the resolution to shit... all in the name of preventing piracy (which makes me wonder why bother with hi-def audio if you're going to shitify the "definition" with a water mark).

SACD is (sort of) messed up with the non-standard compression/encryption Sony decided to go with. It's not supported by most (AFAIK ALL) computer sound cards yet so any SACD player needs to have the proper silicone in there to decode the discs. Meaning it's an expensive proposition for any company who wants to add SACD playback to their DVD player.

IMO DVD-A would be best if they did 4 things
-A MUCH better catalog
-Used a high bandwidth single cable digital output
-Got rid of that God awful watermark (people will always pirate, why punish those who've actually paid for it)
-Allowed for playback without the use of a TV to see what you're doing. (or maybe they do this already and I just haven't looked hard enough)

Without the above it will never get off the ground.

If I had to guess I'd say SACDs will end up being the hi-def standard simply because it lacks the watermark and can be played without a screen. Meaning it will be more readily accepted by the Audiophiles. DVD-A has the advantage of working in any DVD player so the "common man" can use it however that same "common man" really doesn't seem to care much about high quality music...

... it's a shame really.

This post has been edited by twistedsymphony: Jun 10 2005, 08:20 PM

microsizeboy

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 05:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jun 10 2005, 09:28 PM)
yeah Whet is right in that any dvd player will play dvd audio...

I'd own more of those things if they actually had some good music on it.. as it is I only have 2 discs and both are Nine Inch Nails albums  :lol:

As do I  :beer:
My mom bought a rob thomas album that supports dvd audio...yeah i'm stopping right there.