xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: First Wmv Hd-dvd?  (Read 309 times)

richie579

• Archived User
First Wmv Hd-dvd?
« on: May 31, 2005, 07:27:00 AM »

that would be frickin vicious....hero was beautifully shot as it is, in HD, it's gonna be overload on the eyes.

prankfurter

• Archived User
First Wmv Hd-dvd?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 08:05:00 AM »

i belive the special edition of terminator 2 released a few years ago came with a wmv HD version as well.

I really hope x360 supports wmvHD biggrin.gif i have a feeling it will as they licensed winDVD as there dvd engine.. witch supports winDVD

richie579

• Archived User
First Wmv Hd-dvd?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 08:49:00 AM »

I have that t2 dvd, quality's awesome...it's DRMed though, you need to be online to verify or whatever...hopefully ms doesn't overlook this.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
First Wmv Hd-dvd?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 02:36:00 PM »

well there's some contradicting sources...

there was an interview with the Xbox360's hardware guy, when asked if the DVD player would upscale moves to 1080i and 720p he said something along the lines of: it wont upscale but of the source material is in that resolution it can display it in that resolution.

On the other hand... you would think that if the Xbox360 supported MS's WM9 HD format they would have added it to the list of supported media... I mean those spec sheets are a battle ground and the companies have been grabbing at whatever they can for ammo, if there was even a hit that it would support it, wouldn't it be on there?

Damolee

• Archived User
First Wmv Hd-dvd?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 12:56:00 AM »

Technically why wouldn't it though?

It's a hard drive based console with support for HD-TV , when you compare the graphic specs in the system ..featurewise to that of a desktop graphics card, everything is there inplace for it to work , as if you were just running it from a desktop PC which works very well.

Also take note of the emphasis on multimedia  aswell in the marketing, why on earth not? ....there is no reason unless the GPU isn't upto it as to why it wouldn't work some way or other. You can stream HDTV off a normal DVD on a PC same as you can from a hard drive, if it's not TRUE support then still , it could be buffer to the hard drive and will be plentiful enough, perhaps with a 30 second delay at the start of the movie.

manborn

• Archived User
First Wmv Hd-dvd?
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 04:51:00 AM »

i knew the x3 specs were upto the task, i needed to know if some1 has actually seen this done, live & in person.

Damolee

• Archived User
First Wmv Hd-dvd?
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 04:59:00 AM »

Guarantee that if Team X create a mod chip for this new baby then it will be totally possible, for reasons I mentioned above.

mikeandbandit

• Archived User
First Wmv Hd-dvd?
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 05:57:00 PM »

media type is simple the type of media storage, wmvHD like divxHD ships on a standard DVD

mirx999

• Archived User
First Wmv Hd-dvd?
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 09:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 31 2005, 05:47 PM)
On the other hand... you would think that if the Xbox360 supported MS's WM9 HD format they would have added it to the list of supported media... I mean those spec sheets are a battle ground and the companies have been grabbing at whatever they can for ammo, if there was even a hit that it would support it, wouldn't it be on there?

whet1134

• Archived User
First Wmv Hd-dvd?
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 06:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(mirx999 @ Jun 9 2005, 12:12 AM)
Possibly...but if you think about it, MS has seemed be holding off on at least some of their hype so far (lackluster E3 show, shadiness about backward-compatibility).  Maybe they're saving up all this ammo so they can keep the hype going all the way until november.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
First Wmv Hd-dvd?
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 06:49:00 AM »

I agree they're probably holding back...

a good marketing tactic would be something along the lines of "we support HDWM9 discs and here's a list of titles already available... BTW Sony support BRD but there are no titles available"

hey mike do you know something about this that we dont  tongue.gif

The shitty thing is a lot of my favorite movies were produced by Sony owned companies  sad.gif

irfan

• Archived User
First Wmv Hd-dvd?
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 11:05:00 PM »

from anandtech:

"MS has already stated that in game video will essentially use the WMV HD codec.  The real time decompression of audio/video will be another use for the extra power of the system. "

i dont see why it couldnt do a whole movie then

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
First Wmv Hd-dvd?
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 06:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(mikeandbandit @ Jun 26 2005, 10:12 AM)
it has been publicly confirmed in a recent interview

Moleman

• Recovered User
First Wmv Hd-dvd?
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2005, 03:27:00 AM »