xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Seems Wwf Smackdown Has Been Canceld For Ps3  (Read 669 times)

b15ginz

• Archived User
Seems Wwf Smackdown Has Been Canceld For Ps3
« on: July 23, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »

ineresting. but y? how can ps3 b harder tp make than the other consoles

mike_jacko

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »

fake fighting is gay..they should cancel it on tv also free up some space for worthwhile programs

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(b15ginz @ Jul 23 2006, 08:49 PM) View Post

ineresting. but y? how can ps3 b harder tp make than the other consoles

Same reason that programming for the Sega Saturn was much harder than for the Playstation.  Like it was said before, the way the hardware is built makes it more difficult.
Also, the toolkits given to developers can make it harder or easier.  XNA is supposedly VERY easy to work with... that's what the 360 uses.

alsybub

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 04:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Jul 24 2006, 03:38 AM) View Post

Same reason that programming for the Sega Saturn was much harder than for the Playstation.  Like it was said before, the way the hardware is built makes it more difficult.
Also, the toolkits given to developers can make it harder or easier.  XNA is supposedly VERY easy to work with... that's what the 360 uses.

Exactly. The Saturn had an additional 32bit RISC processor added shortly before the unveiling of the system, due to Sega worrying about it being under powered compared to the Playstation. So effectively you could say it was 64bit, but that would be in the same way the Jaguar was 64bit. What that then meant was that it was very hard for developers to balance the processors to get the greatest performance, that along with bad development support from Sega, which is also happening at the moment with Sony. Because it was easier and more cost effective to develop for the Plystation developerd went with that rather than the more powerful Saturn, simply because you could get better results for less money in a shorter development period.

Will we see the same with PS3?   I do hope not. Although I am a solid Xbox fan these days - in fact I didn't like the PS2 cos' I was always a Dreamcast fan which in my opinion was the pre cursor to the Xbox, so you could say the 360 is like Dreamcast 3 as far as attitude to gaming is concerned - I do like to have choice though and healthy competition is the only way to get that.

So. Whether you buy PS3, or not, then you are still likely to be affected by whether it triumphs or fails.

Unfortunately it looks more and more like the PS3 is going to be pretty awful at this stage.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »

ill believe it when i see a confirmation.  the game looks too far along already to come up with budget or development issues and just can one of the versions

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 08:37:00 AM »

Following rumors that the PlayStation 3 version of WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2007 has been cancelled, THQ confirmed that its perennial wrasslin' series will not boost the PS3 launch lineup this holiday. Instead, SmackDown 2007 will ship for PS2 and PSP, and more importantly, will make its 'next-gen' debut exclusively on Xbox 360. THQ did add that the SmackDown franchise would eventually make it onto PS3, but not until holiday 2007.

http://www.joystiq.c...en-debut-on-xb/

i dont know how often these wrestling games get released, but if they are annually then yeah i guess this long delay could be considered a cancellation.  wow, from what i understand this series has only been on the ps2 so far and now only the 360 will get it this year.

alsybub

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 08:42:00 AM »

I read a similar article a few days ago. It seems to be that it's all simply to do with the hold ups from Sony with dev kits and tools so they felt it was better to just continue with the other platforms.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 09:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(alsybub @ Jul 24 2006, 10:49 AM) View Post

I read a similar article a few days ago. It seems to be that it's all simply to do with the hold ups from Sony with dev kits and tools so they felt it was better to just continue with the other platforms.

i dont think it has to do with hold ups.  the game was already in development for the ps3 so that means that they have the dev kits that they need.  from what people in the industry are pointing to is the difficulties of developing for the ps3.  the build was in development but well behind the other versions so instead of holding up budget or resources, they decided just to axe it all together.  another article...

Officials from THQ have confirmed that the company will no longer be publishing a version of WWE SmackDown! vs Raw 2007 for the PlayStation 3 this year, following previous reports indicating that a PS3 SKU of the game was in development.

Although no reason was given for the move, it was defined as a delay rather than a cancellation, although to as far back as “late 2007” – presumably around the time that WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2008 would be released. The game is now scheduled only for the PlayStation 2, Xbox 360 and PSP this November.

The news has been perceived by some online observers as somewhat of an embarrassment for Sony, who has often previously been forced to counter suggestions that the PlayStation 3 is difficult to develop for. However, the assumption being made by many in this case is that THQ's estimate of the installed userbase would not justify the time and money needed to get a PlayStation 3 version of the game ready this year.

The rumors of the game's delay began on the German THQ website, with a posting made by one of the site forum’s official administrators. The unconfirmed suggestion given was that progress on the PlayStation 3 version of the game, which was recently demonstrated to press on the Xbox 360, was well behind the other versions, and that THQ did not want to divert further resources away from the other versions.

source

I'm sure it happens all of the time but i honestly dont remember this many announced games being canned before a system's launch.  so far off of the top of my head i can recall condemned, oblivion (once slated for next gen consoles), killing day, Endless Saga (just rescently cancelled), and now Smackdown.  like i said i know it may happen with us not knowing it all of the time, but all of these titles have been officially announced in one way or another.

chuxterofdoom

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 09:19:00 PM »

It has been confirmed by THQ North America.  No Smackdown on PS3.

Article

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 09:59:00 AM »

I think this might have alot to do with the same difficulties sega is having with sony about how sony keeps withholding info on the final specs of the ps3 and as a result they don't know what to work towards whne developing. This holds up development costs them oney, so they are planning on delaying some games. Some companies cancel games altogether.