xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tony Hawk Project 8  (Read 1055 times)

m_hael

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 05:44:00 PM »

I figured you thought the game should take the direction the gamers wanted...

no matter

gcskate27

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 05:54:00 PM »

ideally that should be a huge consideration for the devs...

alsybub

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 06:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Jul 27 2006, 10:51 PM) View Post

I figured you thought the game should take the direction the gamers wanted...

no matter

Of course that is a consideration but I was talking about whan you see games that have clearly lost direction in an effort to keep up with currents 'fads' as some previous Hawks games did and I was pointing out to others that I'm hoping the seeming change in name and style will usher in a change in the game as a whole, which will be refreshing and that is why I am interested in it. biggrin.gif The statement you made about the devs taking it in the direction they want is reassuring.

So if anything I was telling you just how much I'm looking forward to it.

No matter. rolleyes.gif

fastTOE

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »

i agree, that's what got me way excited is the full circle element here, bringing it back to the ROOT of it all, pure skating.... i can't wait

don't get me wrong, unlike others here (no offense), i've played every hawk game through on sick,... i just can't get enough.... but, still i'm REALLY getting excited about this one

speaking of previous hawk games, i'd like to tell a little story, so,... if you are just breezing through this topic skip over this part, because it is somewhat off topic............
*LONG probably BORING RANT START*
MEMORY OF MY FIRST EVER HAWK EXPERIENCE:
i've always played video games, but i wasn't always terribly into them, or even just enough into them to frequent internet forums and the like (granted, i was too young to own my own computer etc etc), so when i first saw a demo kiosk for tony hawk's pro skater i was a little excited, never heard of the game, had no idea what to expect,..... but pretty much expected all downhilll, one run through the park sorta gig like many a previous skater games,.... anyways, me and my good ol' buddy wander over to this kiosk and grap that ps1 controller and get to the playing,.... and MAN we were blown away! the freedom you had! the control over your skater! the tricks! the moves! the grinds! the manuals! oh wait,... no there wasn't manulas yet,... but still!  i remember it like it was yesterday standing in a toy store playing the chicago skatepark level for probably damn near four hours (honestly) just standing there, taking turns...  not only did we stand for hours playing one level over and over again in a toy store, but we stood for hours playing one level over and over again in a toy store in VEGAS! that's right we were vacationing in vegas! the city of everything so good and so evil and we spent HOURS in a toy store! i couldn't stop thinking about that game,.... then it came out and my friend got it (i was a playstation hater even then,.... sorry.....i'm no fan boy though, just don't like sony) and many a many a many a more hours were wasted then.......
*LONG definately BORING RANT END*

ummmm so yea, thp8 looks awesome..... !

gcskate27

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »

^ heh me and my friend did the same thing at a local walmart... hadnt heard of the game at all and was totally blown away with how much better it was compared to top/street sk8r... so realistic and all...

the best thps was part 2... 4th coming in a very close second though definitely behind as the series was getting a little tired by then... school II is the best level and kona is right behind it...

thug's were crap** and i only really played through thaw for the achievements... not everyone who skates is a warped tour going, hot topic shopping, good charlotte listening, myspace obsessing little moron; and hopefully the story in th8 reflects that...

levels in hawk games need to be more open, as in obstacles being farther apart so you can actually go at them as you would in real life... more realism, more realism, more realism... i, as a person who actually skates,
would very much appreciate a true sim... a game where youd be doing really well to flip in and out of a tailslide on a 8" high curb is perfectly fine for me... 10 billion point combos and stupid ass specials are completly pointless: i would just use those to unlock the sim mode and skate around for hours with no stats trying to find spots that were somewhat realistic... i know i cant be the only one who thinks like this...

**and were what i do believe alsybub was referring to when mentioning about direction... a shit driving mode that was completely superfluous (and almost certainly a last minute addition, lest youd like to admit to the devs incompetence at doing a halfway decent driving section) and an almost equally bad and pointless walking mode... thankfully the driving was scraped and the off board stuff has improved since... though there was an addition of a pretty pointless bike mode...

Heet

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 04:24:00 AM »

Wow I may actually buy this one.  Looks damn good graphics/gameplay

fastTOE

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »

levels in hawk games need to be more open, as in obstacles being farther apart so you can actually go at them as you would in real life... more realism, more realism, more realism... i, as a person who actually skates,
would very much appreciate a true sim... a game where youd be doing really well to flip in and out of a tailslide on a 8" high curb is perfectly fine for me... 10 billion point combos and stupid ass specials are completly pointless: i would just use those to unlock the sim mode and skate around for hours with no stats trying to find spots that were somewhat realistic... i know i cant be the only one who thinks like this...

agree 100%

make it an unlockable mode or something, if you beat the game then you can turn sim on or off at your will,.... and definately make some levels that require more thought to your lines,....
don't get me wrong, i love being able to ride from one side of the level to the other in a seamless combo, but make it a little harder than jump grind, jump grind, jump grind, manual......grind

either way, i'm way excited about this one,.... hey,... maybe there is a sim mode unlockable that they're keeping as a secret??????? we can hope

Ozy

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Jul 26 2006, 04:42 AM) View Post

good to know you like what you see... we spent a LOT of time over the past 8months designing the engine for those graphics - even we're impressed with the way it looks.

Looks great mate!  beerchug.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 02:14:00 PM »

I can't wait to get my hands on this game.. I've played through every TH game since the first. Beaten them all on the hardest difficulty and cleared every gap list.  It's an addiction for sure.

IMO THPS4 was the best in the series so far,  THPS2 coming in a close second. I think the level design in THPS2 was the best but the controls in THPS4 is where the series hit it's gameplay peek. THPS3 was pretty good but the level design just wasn't as good. I couldn't stand either of the THUG games. THUG2 was definitly a low point with all the cheap non-skating challanges, cartoony looking characters, and adolesent un-funny MTV lame story line.

THAW was pretty good though, the story I thought was better then either of the THUG games but it still kind of annoyed me (I'd rather have no story then a bad story). The level design was pretty good and the gameplay was fantastic (though walking still could have been a little better). The thing I like most about THPS4 was all of the Pro Skater stunts you had to do at the end. It gave an enormous touch of realism to the game that none of the others had. Not to mention it added quite a bit of replay value.

I hope you explore the BMX mode a bit more. I'm not talking integraded into the story and FORCED to use it but maybe play though the game in either Skate mode OR ride mode... kind of like getting two completely different game experiences out of the same game.

I definlty like that THP8 looks to be going back more towards realism and the roots of the series. I just hope the storyline is as realistic and level headed as the art direction and gameplay seem to be going. Ideally the story would be branching and depending on how you skate the story progresses differently. Even if it's linear at least have the other character react accordingly to how well you did I wanted to throw my Xbox out the window playing THUG1 because no matter how well I skated the characters in the story always told me I sucked.

One last thing... big levels are great and all but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring back some of the smaller levels. The Hanger and the Wearhouse were some of the best levels in the series. I know it's cool that you can make these huge levels with the new technology but variety is just as important.

StigmataDiaboli

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »

I could not agree any more with gcskate27.  Coming from someone else who actuals skate, i'd kill for a good sim.  Hopefully some downloadable maps for this on Live aswell.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 07:36:00 PM »

alright im knitpickin on the new pics, wheres the speed tree?!?!  tongue.gif

m_hael

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2006, 08:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Sep 27 2006, 06:43 PM) View Post

alright im knitpickin on the new pics, wheres the speed tree?!?!  tongue.gif

lol - sadly speedtree aint so speedy.