xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tony Hawk Project 8  (Read 1058 times)

fastTOE

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« on: July 25, 2006, 05:37:00 PM »

http://xbox360.ign.c...0/720739p1.html

there hasn't been much talk here on it, but dang, that sounds pretty awesome....

i like the approach they're goin with this time around, get rid of those dang superfluous(yea, i said it, superfluous) stories and get back into the root of skating....

and the 2 analog sticks to control your feet sounds like a lot of fun..... so yea, i'm gettin real excited, and i'm hopin' you guys are too......
(not to mention the graphics, they look pretty slick to me)

gcskate27

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 06:20:00 PM »

http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=3273995

nice to see they used at least one of my documented ideas... beerchug.gif

m_hael

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(fastTOE @ Jul 25 2006, 04:44 PM) View Post

http://xbox360.ign.c...0/720739p1.html

there hasn't been much talk here on it, but dang, that sounds pretty awesome....

i like the approach they're goin with this time around, get rid of those dang superfluous(yea, i said it, superfluous) stories and get back into the root of skating....

and the 2 analog sticks to control your feet sounds like a lot of fun..... so yea, i'm gettin real excited, and i'm hopin' you guys are too......
(not to mention the graphics, they look pretty slick to me)

good to know you like what you see... we spent a LOT of time over the past 8months designing the engine for those graphics - even we're impressed with the way it looks.

gcskate27

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 10:05:00 PM »

if you really work anywhere near neversoft, i deseve at least a shout out in the credits... tongue.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 04:35:00 AM »

Graphically it looks great I can't wait to play it. The story as described in the video seems a bit campy. Both my GF and i rolled our eyes when we heard the plot summery. Even still it has potential, and here's hoping that the outcome of the story changes depending on what you do.

It was really good to hear that you're adding in the ability to play as a female skater this time. My GF liked some of the older Tony Hawks but was dis-interested in THAW since she couldn't play as a female character.

KAGE360

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 07:31:00 AM »

this is the first TH that has caught my eye since TH2 on the dreamcast.  the graphics look FAR beyond how i thought they would turn out, nothing is overdone and all of the effects are put to good use.  what i wonder now is how the gameplay has evolved, even though i suck at tony hawk games, they are damn fun to play

Shinamano

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 08:54:00 AM »

^--I agree with Kage here...I played TH2X and have not touched the series since...but this one has promise.

alsybub

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Jul 26 2006, 12:38 PM) View Post

this is the first TH that has caught my eye since TH2 on the dreamcast.  the graphics look FAR beyond how i thought they would turn out, nothing is overdone and all of the effects are put to good use.  what i wonder now is how the gameplay has evolved, even though i suck at tony hawk games, they are damn fun to play

Totally agree. The E3 video with Club Foot and Rodney Mullen blew me away and I've been interested ever since.

I had actually gotten completely sick of the Tony Hawks series since the DC version. So I am quite looking forward to this.

I just hope the story mode isn't too tacky and that it doesn't have lots of stupid mini games.It is a skateboarding game after all. Sometimes creating a game which tries to bridge over into other genres, just because other games have, does not necassarily equal a good game. In fact it tends to show in the overall game, that the developer hasn't totally focused on what the game is truelly supposed to be.

So let's all hope we aren't all disappointed.

I'm really hoping that with the change of name there will be a change of overall style.

m_hael

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(gcskate27 @ Jul 25 2006, 09:12 PM) View Post

if you really work anywhere near neversoft, i deseve at least a shout out in the credits... tongue.gif

which suggestion do you think you need a shout out for?

QUOTE(alsybub @ Jul 26 2006, 11:57 AM) View Post

In fact it tends to show in the overall game, that the developer hasn't totally focused on what the game is truelly supposed to be.

The game is supposed to be exactly what we want it to be.

gcskate27

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(ign's page 3 of the preview)
While the game's control scheme has largely stayed the same (minus a few new tricks here or there that we'll learn about later), THP8 sees the introduction of something Neversoft is calling Nail the Trick. By clicking down on both analog sticks, the camera will pan out to a close-up side view as the game slows to a crawl. The analog sticks then each control one of your feet and your board moves from being part of your animation to an actual physics object. By moving the sticks, you're able to independently control your feet to kick and tap your board into spins, rotations and more. There aren't any set moves here, so whatever sorts of tricks you can come up with you can perform. It looks to be a pretty awesome way of giving the player complete control over what they're doing and we can't wait to mess around with this ourselves.

QUOTE(me in linked thread from earlier)
i think a side mode when you could learn moves say from an over head position with both sticks controling your feet would be good... ie, to ollie youd have to quickly push right on the right stick(or maybe just click the stick in to simulate a tap) with a little slower push left on the left stick to simulate the lead foot pushing the board up and forward... something allong those lines for at least the flip tricks would be awesome... learn the tricks in that mode and then youre able to use them as say bike or motorcycle riding in gta san andreas: the more you use them, the better you get, the more consistent youll be at pulling them...

beerchug.gif

im not actually being serious... but a shoutout would be damn sweet... cool.gif

m_hael

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 11:10:00 PM »

ahh... you see I didn't want to trawl the old threads... all your comments were passed to the team however this feature was planned several years ago but simply shelved until the tech matured.

great minds think alike tho.

Tripme

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 08:05:00 AM »

I havnt played one of these since THPS 3 or 4 but I think Im might have to pick this one up.

alsybub

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Jul 26 2006, 11:57 PM) View Post

The game is supposed to be exactly what we want it to be.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Look forward to seeing the finished code!

m_hael

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 02:40:00 PM »

when I said we... I meant we the developers.

alsybub

• Archived User
Tony Hawk Project 8
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »

Yes. That's how I understood it.

I assumed it meant you are saying you have a direction in which you are purposefully going with it or were you thinking I was having a poke at you? Cos' I wasn't.

Now you have me all confused. blink.gif
Pages: [1] 2