xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ghost Recon Q&a  (Read 95 times)

KAGE360

• Archived User
Ghost Recon Q&a
« on: February 17, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »

i love how much attention this game is getting, its rightly deserved.  hope this one provides some new info as its supposed to reveal the differences between the PC and 360 versions.  if there is anything of interest i would appreciate it if anyone can post it in this thread for those of us stuck at work. thanks!

A new Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter Q&A is posted over at CVG. Adrian J Fernandez-Lacey talks about the story behind the game, using Mexico City as a setting, PC and Xbox 360 differences, and the playing experience. This title certainly is one of the best Xbox360 games scheduled this year.

http://www.gamersrep....com/news/1399/

Deftech

• Archived User
Ghost Recon Q&a
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »

Which new feature you've added to Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter would you say is the most groundbreaking?

Adrian J Fernandez-Lacey:
I'd say the biggest new feature we've developed is the heads-up display. Basically what we've done is we've integrated the cross-com which is a real-time window on the left-hand side which allows you to see your players as well as your support units such as support drones, tanks, strikers, Apache helicopters, Blackhawks - and you see what they're seeing in real-time without actually losing what your seeing when you're playing the game. So if you're playing the game your window will come up and you're see what they're seeing in real-time and you'll be able to give them orders in that cross-com window. What we've tried to do is keep the player fully immersed at all times within the action.

Could you tell us a bit about the story behind the game??

Adrian J Fernandez-Lacey: We put a lot of time in to the story and I'll give you the brief version; basically the Ghosts are in Mexico because rebels are selling a communication device to a Mexican paramilitary group, and what happens is they realise that Mexicans are trying to hide this equipment. We've based it around that basic scenario because we want to make communication the forefront of the story in order to link in the cross-com.

At the same time in Mexico you have the Mexican president, the Canadian prime minister and the US president trying to sign a deal called the North American Joint Security Agreement. The agreement is to stop the illegal trade of communication, drugs, people - so basically trying to secure the three North American countries which Mexico is actually part of. While they're on the spot there's then a revolution while the US president is in Mexico City, while they're signing the agreement to Mexican paramilitary group attack.

So it's the Ghosts to the rescue?

You're the only team on the ground, you're the Ghosts - they're a highly trained special forces unit so it's logical that they're on the battlefield, it's not the whole American army it's a special forces unit that's on the ground. You're given orders to go and secure the president, and throughout the story you're given various objectives to secure the VIPs. You're then lead throughout Mexico City and you have to get from point A to point B, and you'll have certain objectives like 'destroy convoys' or 'take out roadblocks'. There's a real plot twist at the end but I'm not going to reveal it just like that.

So you've kept the action quite focussed in terms of time and place?

The idea is to keep everything inside Mexico City. What we've done is the way we've created the story is that the player is lead to certain objectives but you also have lots of responsibilities that are different, it's not just blowing up stuff; there's also defending stuff, protecting stuff - every mission is different. Basically you have three days to carry out these objectives.

What kind of environments does the game feature? Why did you choose Mexico City as the game's setting?

We have the co-op campaign which is an extension to what happens after Mexico City after you finish your mission. I can't tell you too much about the story at the moment, but basically that's an extension of what happens in Mexico City. The reason we chose Mexico City is because it has diverse landscapes - and when I say diverse landscapes I mean that basically it's huge, there's basically 120 million people in Mexico City. We have everything from diverse parks, huge zones of trees and stuff like that, we've got very built-up industrial areas with trains and stuff, then obviously we've got like a business area like Canary Warf in London. Then in middle to mix everything up we have shanty town, run-down buildings and beautiful Spanish architecture.

***skimmed thru it, dont see anything pertaining to differences between pc and 360 versions.

KAGE360

• Archived User
Ghost Recon Q&a
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 10:17:00 AM »

thanks!!  just thought there was a description of differences because of the summary i posted.  can not wait for this game!

JMan8108

• Archived User
Ghost Recon Q&a
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »

uhhh Deftech I dunno if you didnt read the second page but.....

How different are the PC and Xbox 360 versions of the game?

Adrian J Fernandez-Lacey: A couple of the differences I could tell you about would be that the PC game is in first-person, you have what's called body awareness. They share the basic story framework but with the PC version we tried to make it a lot more tactical, it's a lot more detailed in how you command your troops and how you command your support forces. Also in terms of the first-person view, it's obviously a lot more user-friendly for a PC player. Basically you've got what's called body awareness, so if you're in a cover position behind a wall you can actually see your feet, because in a real military situation if you put your foot out from behind a cover position a sniper will shoot your foot. So the idea is with body awareness when you're sliding you can actually see it even when you're playing in a first-person view.

Have you used different development teams for each version?

Adrian J Fernandez-Lacey: It's a completely different team working on the PC version, there is some linkage in terms of story, content, models - we always exchange information. Basically they're a PC game for PC players, they're not just making a port by any means, and that's the same with the Xbox 360; the Xbox 360 version is specific to maximising the power of the Xbox 360. We decided to make this decision because we wanted to give each platform it's own personal flavour and maximise it's potential on each platform and give each player something different. With the power of next-gen as well, you can't compare an Xbox 360 to a current-gen machine, you necessarily do the same things, so we really wanted to make specific gameplay decisions for each platform.

KAGE360

• Archived User
Ghost Recon Q&a
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »

while the differences are minor, i wish that console developers would also include body awareness for those of us who prefer to play in FP mode only.  great news though.