xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Online Fu@king Hard!  (Read 675 times)

crobar

• Archived User
Online Fu@king Hard!
« on: July 18, 2006, 06:24:00 AM »

i dont know what im doing wrong, but i guess i need some tips...
im doing pretty well in single player good, but every time i go online ill build
first) wariors fort
second) resources
and then when my resources are up i start to build an army

thing is who ever i seem to play against attacks me well before i have two groups of wariors.
not only that but they lay into me with like a full army...

how do you make a large army with little to no resources?!

any one have tips or general stragity for multi player?

IMnotGarBagE

• Archived User
Online Fu@king Hard!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 09:23:00 AM »

Yea that happens to me as well. I've noticed the people I play against always caputre those little towns, supposedly they give you more resources. Also some armies, like the goblins, have buildings that increase their resources by 10%-20%. The Humans don't have anything like that i think......

Rubix42

• Archived User
Online Fu@king Hard!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »

I just picked this up today, so I do not have first hand knowledge of this particular game, however in some older PC RTS's I have played, when you start, you always choose how to divide and use your resources.  

Sounds like the main strategy is to focus all of the starting resources at their disposal on troop production, and nothing else.  My guess is if you were to ward off that first attack, you could launch an immediate counter-attack and find their base in exacly the same state it was when the game started, with nothing built up whatso-ever.

Also, with the initial resources depleted by the initial push to create the attacking army, chances are you could take a smaller force and stand a good chance of a successful counter attack.

This is probably a short lived strategy that will not stand the test of time, and more importantly, the test of players who know how to counter it.  

My thought would be to create a full army of archer's in anticipation to this initial attack, and once in range, focus all fire on one enemy until dead, rinse and repeat.  Chances are, the opponent is creating them and sending them as fast as possible, so you will be able to decimate the army with very little losses as he will probably not stop and gather a mass of forces large enough to push through the hail of arrows falling on his head.

But, like I said I haven't played this particular RTS yet (tonight smile.gif YES) so I am sure it might be more complicated than that.

Rubix42

• Archived User
Online Fu@king Hard!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 06:48:00 AM »

Well, I got to play last night, I'm so happy with this game.  Sure there are some stutters and whatnot, but overall, probably the best RTS on a console I've ever played.

I did have a chance to play a couple of versus matches as well.  It does seem that the primary strategy that most people implement is to roll out a quick attack asap.  

I tried a couple of things to get this going, and did win 2 of my 3 matches.  

Your best bet to defend against this strategy is to not build any defensive structures.  This early in the game, you don't have the resources to make this effective.  Your better off working on creating as many resource establishments and creature creation sites as possible.  As each creation site is created, make as many different soldiers as you can while your builders are working.

A good way to spot a rusher enemy will be their enemy race.  If their race can cheaply make massive hordes of enemies, they've been selected for a reason.

Good luck, and enjoy!!!

crobar

• Archived User
Online Fu@king Hard!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »

great tips guys im getting hooked on this game all i think about is stragity now! lol

on a side note when i have the fealing im down but not yet out i send a builder behind enemy lines (as they ar focused on killing me) and build shop tucked away.
this is funny cause im sure the other side wonders why they havent won yet...then bam whole new army  attacking their base lol

Rubix42

• Archived User
Online Fu@king Hard!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 12:11:00 PM »

Yeah the extra builder can be your ace in the hole.

Once you get going and have some extra resources, a second base camp to replace your main camp can really throw an opponent for a loop.  

I earned the Rubix tagline years ago when a friend of mine called me a tricky a$$ Rubix Cube, no end in site.  It was a 3 hour warcraft battle in which I had built and allowed to be destroyed 5 fortresses.  I used to build one up a little, make a small army to defend, and start building my real army in another part of the world altogether.  

I think it will be very important in this game, seeing as the enemy always knows where your base is at the start of the game.  Plus, you're never out while you can field soldiers. . .

Maverick0984

• Archived User
Online Fu@king Hard!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 09:59:00 AM »

i havne't bought the game yet, but i plan on doing it eventually once i finish oblivion enough to my satisfaction, but it seems as thought there is alot to think about with the online aspect and i usually get my butt whooped rather quickly in online RTS's because of things like this.  maybe this time will be different ohmy.gif.

crobar

• Archived User
Online Fu@king Hard!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 06:10:00 AM »

its getting hard for me to sit down and enjoy this game online...
its fun having a battle and going army against army....
but like i siad before  people seem to come on exhaust their resourses building a small "army" and take you out while building resources for a large army....
again...that is the point of the game to take eachother out...but
well it just feels cheap...
ive played games that last 5 minutes....
and it will go one of  2 ways
i get crushed early in by their mini army
or their min army isnt enough for me at the time of attack and  they quit the game cause they will be killed...
i get more victories from people quiting...its sad.

IMnotGarBagE

• Archived User
Online Fu@king Hard!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 06:17:00 AM »

Yea thats why I stopped playing with the men. Now I play with the goblins and just swarm the opposing team in the beginning. The goblins only use like 60 resources, compared to 400 resources with the men. They might be weaker, but the swarm is too much for any team. All I build is goblin caves and resource tunnels and just pump out goblins non-stop. No need for any other buildings.

Rubix42

• Archived User
Online Fu@king Hard!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 06:30:00 AM »

Had another bout with this Sat. night.  The nice thing is I can now easily defend the rush.  A heroic and healing statue right in front of your base to keep the enemy at bay is a great start, station troops right next to them in defensive stance.  This ups their attack power, and doubles the defensive power.  I had one battalion of Elvish Pikemen take out 5 goblin hordes by themselves with this.

Then build up 2 battle towers, with the statues wedged in between, and fill them with 2 groups of archers, this will keep your base defended from any base attack except for seige engines, so build 2 cavalry units to take those out.  

Then set up camp elsewhere on the map out of the opponents line concentration.  This is where I will build the bulk of my army.  Archers, pikemen and cavalry, about 6/3/3.  Then send them in on his base, and he will now be trying to wage war at 2 ends.  Most of the time, you'll have upgraded your archery weapons, and your fortress should be tough enough to withstand the attacks without needing any attention from you.  

Send your army in for the kill.  My stats say 3/6, yet it should be closer to 12/6.  Most everyone quits when losing, which is fine, I know that I won smile.gif

crobar

• Archived User
Online Fu@king Hard!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 06:57:00 AM »

hey if anyone is down for some 4 player on the east coast let me know, we'll get a big war going on!

IMnotGarBagE

• Archived User
Online Fu@king Hard!
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 01:08:00 PM »

Im down for a game anytime. I've encountered plenty of people who don't like people to rush. That is how I play so just letting you know heads up.

xzenor

• Archived User
Online Fu@king Hard!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »

You can play with upto 4 players on live?!?!? Freaking AWESOME!!! I've only played 2 player matches. I too am hooked on the game.....mainly skirmish. Its alot of fun.

Shinamano

• Archived User
Online Fu@king Hard!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 01:26:00 PM »

I have no online strategy...I actually destroyed my own base on accident the first time I got on.

On a side note (and the reason I came into this topic) I thought the Topic tile was funny in imagining what sort of results would come back if you typed it in google...