xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Horrible, Buggy Pos  (Read 247 times)

TUUK

• Archived User
Horrible, Buggy Pos
« on: September 02, 2006, 06:17:00 PM »

I'm going to go off on a rant here, so skip it if it's going to cause you to go into flame mode...

I've looked forward to Saints Row since it's announcement. I've spent 15 hours with it over two days, and it's gone from a game that kept me hooked, to the most disappointing, frustrating game I've ever had the misfortune to come across.

Volition claim that they studied the genre, GTA in particular and improved apon the formula to remove the pieces of it they disliked. I can't help but choke on my rage when I think about how much crap that is.
  Not only is 95%+ of the concepts in the game lifted straight off of GTA, but the same shitty flaws are still there. They say they took the frustration out of open-world games, but I say they've added more in.
  The code itself is buggy as hell. I've had roads disappear, I've fallen through the floor in buildings to my death, I've had my car disappear and have my player still sit like he's in it and it's locked up almost 10 times in these 15 hours. The AI is disgustingly poor at times. In the mission where you taunt Vice Kings and lead them to the police ambush, twice the AI cars that were supposed to follow me got trapped and wouldn't go anywhere, forcing me to reload my game. In missions where the AI drives and you shoot, I've had them drive into trees and continue to try to drive forward while we got shot to death, forcing a restart of the mission. The list goes on and on. I've tried to get over it, but the final nail in the coffin for the game came for me tonight...
  I've got to the 'what goes up' mission where you drive to the airport to stop a plane. You drive for a good 2 minutes to get to the airport only to be met with shitloads of guys, most with RPG's. The car the AI is driving, is about as sturdy as a shoebox. One direct RPG hit and it's mission over. There's so many guys all over the place that getting taken out is inevitable. You're informed that 'you're smoked' and asked if you want to retry. You select yes and for some F**cking, blood-pressure-raising reason, you've forced back to the VERY beginning and made to go through the 2 minute drive to airport a-f**cking-gain. This makes retrying the mission so frustrating that I've simply given up.
  Volition claimed they took what frustrated them out and improved on the game. They had 9 extra bloody months to improve the code and experience. There are game's out there that have had l 9 months for their whole development cycle. 9 months extra in todays industry is an almost unheard of luxury and I don't know what they did for those 9 months, but it wasn't improving this game. And if it was, I come out in a cold sweat thinking how shit this game might have been if it had been released in whatever state it was at launch time.
  Volition have provided almost nothing new and have just added another title to the buggy-as-hell and the clean rip-off software lists.

I hope Rockstar wipe the floor with them next November and show them what the game should have been. I also hope MS don't let Volition inflict another experience like this on us poor 360 users. This game is being traded first thing in the morning and that's the shortest time I've ever owned a game in my life.

For everyone who disagrees completly with everything I've said here, either you need to give it more time, you have the patience of a saint or you've never played the game.

For people who truly have enjoyed they're time with Saints Row so far, I envy you. I so wanted that to be me.

TUUK

Mana

• Archived User
Horrible, Buggy Pos
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(TUUK @ Sep 3 2006, 01:24 AM) View Post

I'm going to go off on a rant here, so skip it if it's going to cause you to go into flame mode...

I've looked forward to Saints Row since it's announcement. I've spent 15 hours with it over two days, and it's gone from a game that kept me hooked, to the most disappointing, frustrating game I've ever had the misfortune to come across.

Volition claim that they studied the genre, GTA in particular and improved apon the formula to remove the pieces of it they disliked. I can't help but choke on my rage when I think about how much crap that is.
  Not only is 95%+ of the concepts in the game lifted straight off of GTA, but the same shitty flaws are still there. They say they took the frustration out of open-world games, but I say they've added more in.
  The code itself is buggy as hell. I've had roads disappear, I've fallen through the floor in buildings to my death, I've had my car disappear and have my player still sit like he's in it and it's locked up almost 10 times in these 15 hours. The AI is disgustingly poor at times. In the mission where you taunt Vice Kings and lead them to the police ambush, twice the AI cars that were supposed to follow me got trapped and wouldn't go anywhere, forcing me to reload my game. In missions where the AI drives and you shoot, I've had them drive into trees and continue to try to drive forward while we got shot to death, forcing a restart of the mission. The list goes on and on. I've tried to get over it, but the final nail in the coffin for the game came for me tonight...
  I've got to the 'what goes up' mission where you drive to the airport to stop a plane. You drive for a good 2 minutes to get to the airport only to be met with shitloads of guys, most with RPG's. The car the AI is driving, is about as sturdy as a shoebox. One direct RPG hit and it's mission over. There's so many guys all over the place that getting taken out is inevitable. You're informed that 'you're smoked' and asked if you want to retry. You select yes and for some F**cking, blood-pressure-raising reason, you've forced back to the VERY beginning and made to go through the 2 minute drive to airport a-f**cking-gain. This makes retrying the mission so frustrating that I've simply given up.
  Volition claimed they took what frustrated them out and improved on the game. They had 9 extra bloody months to improve the code and experience. There are game's out there that have had l 9 months for their whole development cycle. 9 months extra in todays industry is an almost unheard of luxury and I don't know what they did for those 9 months, but it wasn't improving this game. And if it was, I come out in a cold sweat thinking how shit this game might have been if it had been released in whatever state it was at launch time.
  Volition have provided almost nothing new and have just added another title to the buggy-as-hell and the clean rip-off software lists.

I hope Rockstar wipe the floor with them next November and show them what the game should have been. I also hope MS don't let Volition inflict another experience like this on us poor 360 users. This game is being traded first thing in the morning and that's the shortest time I've ever owned a game in my life.

For everyone who disagrees completly with everything I've said here, either you need to give it more time, you have the patience of a saint or you've never played the game.

For people who truly have enjoyed they're time with Saints Row so far, I envy you. I so wanted that to be me.

TUUK

jesus, there are bugs in the game sure but nothing to spoil the enjoyment.  o and btw i just did that mission that was your final straw and i did it on my second go tongue.gif....

dont use the ak, use the rpg (u have unlimited amouts).  dex even says "use teh rpg to take out the guys" but i guess u didnt hear that cos of all the anger haha.

dex's car got hit direct by one rpg causing the car to smoke, then dex drove by the plane, i shot i twice and just needed one more hit.  he then did anothe rlap of the airport (the same lap he did first mind) and i got my final shot off.

easy.  i think a combination of a few bugs and u not knowing how to do the mission has made u go cuckoo! smile.gif