xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Pgr3 Never Played It  (Read 161 times)

Striker911

• Archived User
Pgr3 Never Played It
« on: January 17, 2006, 07:22:00 PM »

ok so i just got PGR3 and i must say i think the graphics are out of this world, but i have never played any of the PGR games, i have played fronzo i have played need for speed i played gran turismo.

what im asking is what is the main object of the game? is it to just race and win? or buy all the cars you can as you win them? also can you Do up grades to the car? such as turbo, new engines exhaust, headers?

thanks guys

fastTOE

• Archived User
Pgr3 Never Played It
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 08:08:00 PM »

race, win, buy more cars..... that's it.....

no upgrading.

race, win, buy more cars.....

and goddamn if it isn't fun eh?

Striker911

• Archived User
Pgr3 Never Played It
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 08:44:00 PM »

thank you

JMan8108

• Archived User
Pgr3 Never Played It
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 11:23:00 PM »

Its a good racing game no doubt. Honestly i am an xbox fan but i havent played a better racing game than gt4. Simply amazing, the only reason im even considering a ps3 is gt5 which should be increbible

KAGE360

• Archived User
Pgr3 Never Played It
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(JMan8108 @ Jan 18 2006, 01:30 AM) View Post

Its a good racing game no doubt. Honestly i am an xbox fan but i havent played a better racing game than gt4. Simply amazing, the only reason im even considering a ps3 is gt5 which should be increbible

thought GT4 was more of the same as GT3, nothing really new since they cancelled the online portion.  ever play Forza?  some will argue which has better graphics, but its the gameplay and modes that matter to me and forza wins hands down.  the AI is some of the best AI i have seen in a racing game, this gen or the next.  

back to the topic, PGR3 is a great arcade racer with some sim elements thrown into the mix.  glad your enjoying it  smile.gif

m_hael

• Archived User
Pgr3 Never Played It
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 08:52:00 AM »

WOW some people here obviously haven't got very far on PGR.

it has racing in it yes, and its good racing... sadly to finish the game you have to race BADLY... it bases its entire game progress mechanic (the only way to get to 1st place overall) on a commodity called KUDOS which is provides the player with based on the following.

How well you powerslide
how well you slide without power
how well you correct a badly done powerslide
how well you wheelspin
getting the car on two wheels
getting the car in the air
getting the car into a 360 spin

the only racing elements that are actually a benefit to KUDOS that I can see are

drafting - sticking behind a car in order to benifit from its draft (low pressure air immediately behind it)
overtaking - doh!!
perfect section - don't hit the walls.

some people will disagree with me but I can categorically say that the above 7 elements that gain KUDOS (I probably missed some) are not the best way to race a car, they are simply the best way to look cool and LOSE (unless you're playing on Novice/Steel/Silver)

... I'll be putting a review up once I finish gold and do as much of platinum as I can stomach... probably this weekend

Joergen

• Archived User
Pgr3 Never Played It
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 09:03:00 AM »

Well thats absolutely true for track racing, which makes PGR3 feel more like Rally (which most americans are completely unfamiliar with). But, PGR3 still has a rather sophisticated physics model for the car unlike so many other games (even ones claiming to be simulation like the Toca or McRae series) making it an intuitive, fun and semi-realistic driving experience that I can respect enough to play.

Most people have no feel for racing physics so you cant argue with them about these things, but give me PGR3, Forza, GTR (pc), Richard Burns Rally (pc, may the fellow rest in peace) over any other PC or Xbox racing game out there. Thank you very much.

I havent played GT4 enough (at all) to pass judgement but AI cars that run on rails is not my cup of tea. And you only need a couple of seconds and the first turn to see if a game actually has real-world-esque physics or not.

esc1

• Archived User
Pgr3 Never Played It
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »

Kudos mixes in a little arcade style gameplay if you ask me.  Has turned a lot of people off, but I enjoyed pgr on original Xbox.  What interests me about pgr on 360 is in the seat view.  I think that should be the only mode of view.  Would make racking games much more realistic, especially if you could use the right stick to look to the left or right.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Pgr3 Never Played It
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 09:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(esc1 @ Jan 18 2006, 05:14 PM) View Post

Kudos mixes in a little arcade style gameplay if you ask me.  Has turned a lot of people off, but I enjoyed pgr on original Xbox.  What interests me about pgr on 360 is in the seat view.  I think that should be the only mode of view.  Would make racking games much more realistic, especially if you could use the right stick to look to the left or right.

you can look alomst all ove rthe car, except behind you with the right analog stick. pretty clean looking

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Pgr3 Never Played It
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 10:00:00 AM »

I never understand why people complain about the Kudo's system in PGR...

It's like playing doa and saying "Damnit there is just too much fighting"

The whole POINT of PGR is not to race but to do power slides and keep the car as disconnected from the ground as possible... it's Drift Racing, you know where they race around the track and are judged on style as much as position.

It's like playing a figure-skating game and complaining that it doesn't have enough Hockey element in it.

The same goes for when people complain about not being able to upgrade, part of the point is being able to control the car in the above manor with nothing but the factory spec car.

These are the qualities that make the PGR series unique... instead of just another generic racer...

I like the whole kudos' system and the way you have to control the car to win a race by points, infact I think the series has gotten too far away from that (PGR3 has less kudos based goals then previous PGRs).

it's the only series that offers that kind of unique and distinct gameplay, complaining about it will only make the developers remove those unique elements and then you have just another racer....  dry.gif

KAGE360

• Archived User
Pgr3 Never Played It
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 10:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 18 2006, 12:07 PM) View Post

I never understand why people complain about the Kudo's system in PGR...

It's like playing doa and saying "Damnit there is just too much fighting"

The whole POINT of PGR is not to race but to do power slides and keep the car as disconnected from the ground as possible... it's Drift Racing, you know where they race around the track and are judged on style as much as position.

It's like playing a figure-skating game and complaining that it doesn't have enough Hockey element in it.

The same goes for when people complain about not being able to upgrade, part of the point is being able to control the car in the above manor with nothing but the factory spec car.

These are the qualities that make the PGR series unique... instead of just another generic racer...

I like the whole kudos' system and the way you have to control the car to win a race by points, infact I think the series has gotten too far away from that (PGR3 has less kudos based goals then previous PGRs).

it's the only series that offers that kind of unique and distinct gameplay, complaining about it will only make the developers remove those unique elements and then you have just another racer....  dry.gif

i dont think people are complaining about the kudos themselves but the fact that powersliding and 360's are not the best way to get ahead in a race.  yes it brings excitement and style to a race but on the harder difficulties, racing a good racing line will matter more then driving with style to add up points because it seems that what place you finish in matters more then how many points you can accumelate.   i agree that this game is a nice unique spin (no pun intended) on the whole arcade racer genre.  

however i also agree with M_hael that some of the features that are meant to add to the gameplay are ignored if you wish to race good.  it would seem that the developers wish for players to find that fine line where they are racing good but also with style when they hardly go hand-in-hand.  unlike others who complain about it, i just ignore whatever does not help me to improve my racing skills, i pay no attention to kudos and instead work towards improving my times and racing lines.  i think the main point of this game is to race and play how you want to race and play, given that kind of freedom for the better or worse is the best feature of this game IMO.  biggrin.gif

m_hael

• Archived User
Pgr3 Never Played It
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »

kage has hit my point exactly...  I cannot get anywhere near beating anyone on platinum without racing like a true race driver,

no skidding,
no powerslides,
slow for corners,
power out of them,
feather the throttle
use the power to push the car around hairpins.

does anyone have the ability to beat platinum consistently AND gain lots of Kudos points? If so I'd like to see your replays.

adfinder23

• Archived User
Pgr3 Never Played It
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 01:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Jan 18 2006, 10:59 AM) View Post

it has racing in it yes, and its good racing... sadly to finish the game you have to race BADLY... it bases its entire game progress mechanic (the only way to get to 1st place overall) on a commodity called KUDOS which is provides the player with based on the following.

some people will disagree with me but I can categorically say that the above 7 elements that gain KUDOS (I probably missed some) are not the best way to race a car, they are simply the best way to look cool and LOSE (unless you're playing on Novice/Steel/Silver)

I agree. I hate doing the challenges where you have to gain Kudos to stop the clock. I can finish the track faster by racing like a real racer would. However, on those challenges it's not fast enough. So I end up having to do fish tailing down straight aways to stop the clock, that if I did it in a race I'd be passed up by the Hoveround ladies.

QUOTE(esc1 @ Jan 18 2006, 11:14 AM) View Post

The seat view is awesome, but since it is a video game I don't have the controls or spacial awareness that I have in real life so I still find it easier to use a view that encompasses the whole car. Especially when mixed up with other cars.

Though I don't get why you think it should be the only view. Should the game only be made for you? biggrin.gif

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 18 2006, 12:07 PM) View Post

Although I just race and never pay attention to my Kudos I agree that it makes for a different game. If I decide to master it in a different way other than just winning races, maybe I'll start to learn how to control the car. And I do like variety so I wouldn't want to ruin what makes PGR different from GT, Forza, or NFS.

However, I don't see it as a Drift Racing game. I usually play only up to Medium difficulty(Easy and Novice for more credits to buy cars too) because I'm more of an arcade racer type of guy, and the realism makes it a little to frustrating for me to go for Hard. So I don't know how the other cars race on the other difficulties, but I have never seen a computer car drift on this game. They all ride the outside edge and slow down as they come to a turn and grab the inside corner. That's no where near drifting.

lostboyz

• Archived User
Pgr3 Never Played It
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 03:16:00 PM »

go play online then, its true the AI dosent nearly drift as much as they encourage you to, but thats why they have seperate modes, your not always supposed to be first and get most kudos its generally one or the other. And as a great example look at nurnburging (sp?) i got maybe 150 kudos on the full track and it was all from clean sections true racing course needs true racing skills. but when your racing in downtown new york, las vegas..... whipping around a tight ass hairpin at 60+ in my F50GT i just about got off on it.

granted some of the things they give you kudos for (air and 360) which i think you generally never do because it will fuck you up, may be a little odd, but generally I love the experience of the game as a whole