xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Serious Lag :(  (Read 613 times)

Adam6

• Archived User
Serious Lag :(
« on: July 23, 2006, 11:16:00 AM »

Ok today I downloaded the Prey demo and I played a little while in Single Player and it looks like a REALLY cool game, then I went into Multiplayer Player......really disapointed! It lags so damn much! Are they going to patch it? Because there is no way I am paying £40 for a game that states it has MP, but really it dont as its completely unplayable!

sleep.gif

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 07:13:00 AM »

its because its player hosted. join games that have 4 people and the lag is minimal if present at all.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »

Games CAN be laggy if you're connected to a crappy host but they're not bad at all if you've got a good host.

NEVER NEVER NEVER choose "Quick Match". That will almost always guarantee you a crappy host.

Basically choose "Custom Match" and it will display a list of possible hosts. Look for a little dot near the host's name. GREEN means they have a good connection speed YELLOW means it's OK but only for smaller games. ORANGE and RED mean it's crappy and unplayable respectively.

If you can't find any green dot hosts or if you're still having problems simply host the game yourself ("Create Match") As the host everyone will connect to you, so YOU are guaranteed not to have laggy play, if you're connection is crap then everyone else will be laggy but hey that's their own fault for connecting to a Red dot.

Also general tips, just make sure the other things on your network connection aren't sucking up bandwidth, Downloads, Uploads (Torrents, FTP Servers, IRC transfers, etc. etc. etc.) Also other stuff like Voice Over IP or Skype can trash your connection speed and make it laggy for you, or for other players if you're hosting.

I was playing a game of Prey once and got a call on my VOIP phone... the game went uber-laggy for the 2 minutes I was on the phone, as soon as I ended the call it went back to normal.

slaves290

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 05:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(Adam6 @ Jul 23 2006, 06:16 PM) *

Ok today I downloaded the Prey demo and I played a little while in Single Player and it looks like a REALLY cool game, then I went into Multiplayer Player......really disapointed! It lags so damn much! Are they going to patch it? Because there is no way I am paying £40 for a game that states it has MP, but really it dont as its completely unplayable!
 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

i think i might know what your problem is. you have to host a game for it not to lag. it did that to me too, until i started hosting games. if this dosnt work, e-mail me at [email protected]