xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Prey Platform Decision 2006: PC or Xbox360  (Read 663 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Prey Platform Decision 2006: PC or Xbox360
« on: July 19, 2006, 07:54:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | July 19 21:54 EST

From gamespot.com:

In the past, the PC versus console debate has boiled down to a few points that almost always end up favoring the PC, especially when it comes to first-person shooters. The mouse-and-keyboard standard simply offers more refined control than a gamepad. And typically, the graphics gap between the console and PC versions used to be awfully substantial. At this point in time, though, the Xbox 360 is doing a pretty good job at keeping up with the pack, and now, more than ever, the line between platforms is quite blurry.

Here, we'll take 2K Games' Prey and break down the differences between the Xbox 360 and PC versions of the game in an effort to help you decide which version is for you. Since the gameplay is pretty much identical in the two versions, the little differences here and there (and the quality of your PC components or your desire to upgrade, if needed) are going to be the deciding factor. Let's start with a quick summary of the good and the bad about each version.

Prey for the Xbox 360
+ Solid performance
+ Utilizes the platform's addictive achievements system
+ Contains Dolby Digital 5.1 sound
- Retails for $10 more than the PC version
- Can't use any user-generated content

Prey for the PC
+ Cheaper retail price
+ Looks better than the Xbox 360 version on higher-end PCs
+ Has more potential for additional content via user mods and maps
- No native support for widescreen resolutions
- Multiplayer designed to only officially support eight players

The PC version is the better bet if you've got a high-end machine, but the Xbox 360 version offers a guaranteed level of performance that's a better choice for people unwilling to upgrade their PC, especially if you already have a home theater system and an HDTV.

Check out the full article, with mouse-over screenshot comparisons on gamespot.com

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 07:13:00 PM »

i think prey for 360 is kinda fuxxed online... only 4vs4 and alot of lag...

there are some legit games tho, i had a game with 5 people no lag...

This post has been edited by ILLusions0fGrander: Jul 20 2006, 02:13 AM

jamsoft

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »

*yawn*

State the obvious. . .

How is this article any different than every other console vs. pc debate?

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »

the lag problem is because on the pc, there is a central server hosting the games, and on the 360, its player hosted, so there really isn't enough bandwidth to support 8 players. if people set their games to 4 people, there is next to no lag in most cases.

This post has been edited by Reaper527: Jul 20 2006, 02:16 AM

89c4l98

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »

either way this game kicks ass... i'm almost 3/4 of the way finished...

skx

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 04:19:00 AM »

Let me tell you of my experince from the PC Version.

It is a very simple and easy Game. I can run through all Level with my ultra fast responding Mouse in Minutes. No hard enemy. This Game even gets Boring after 3 hours. Always the same...ah....."does not metter, have just to finish this boring Game, than i can throw it in to the corner"

This game is on PC like a little snack. Snicker or Mars, somthing like that.

Most will not take longer than 5-6 Hours to complete. Not worth the money.

trugamer79

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 05:28:00 AM »

I like the PC version better. The shader graphics do look better on my pc. I also like the fact I could add a mod on the pc version in the near future while the 360 version is limited. Plus i just had High expections for the 360 version to look graphically better than it does because 360 suppose to be next gen technology. It seems like the games coming out on the 360 havent been getting high ratings. For instance I was excited about the NCAA for 360 only to find out that the x-box 1 version of NCAA is much better. Whats going on with 360 games?

Trex666

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 05:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Jul 20 2006, 02:23 AM) View Post

the lag problem is because on the pc, there is a central server hosting the games, and on the 360, its player hosted, so there really isn't enough bandwidth to support 8 players. if people set their games to 4 people, there is next to no lag in most cases.

Your wrong there mate. Pray on the PC doesnt use a central server to host the games. It talks to a Master Server for CDkey Auth and Serverlists but thats it. The 360 Is the same (With out the CDKey Auth). That how most PC games work with the added option to start a Dedicated server. Its far too costly for a games company to host our games. You might be getting confused with Dungeon hosting

I enjoyed the game, it defintally had some key differences compared to other FPSes, for example you cant die. The tweaked Doom3 engine did its job quite good.

jhoff80

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »

I think he was saying that on the PC, generally there are dedicated servers set up for games, instead of someone playing and hosting at the same time.

Also, the article mentions that the PC version doens't natively support widescreen, but thats supposedly fixable by changing an ini file.  (I haven't tried the game yet, so I'm not sure.)  Check out widescreengamingforum.com for more information on that.

Lastly, I don't think that 5.1 Dolby Digital for the 360 version should be a pro, because there is surround sound support in both games.  On the PC you can either use analog outs, or if you have a card with Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect, you can convert that to digital to be sent to a receiver.  On the 360, you are forced to something similar to Dolby Digital Live.

SharkUW

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »

Of course this information doesn't change that on any platform the game still sucks. The reviews I read for it were correct. It had potential for some cool stuff, but failed miserably.

That is all. smile.gif

StepsAscend

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »

I think as with most of the games out for the 360 and PC, the most important difference is the cost of the platforms.  A 360 costs alot less than a highend gaming pc.  For me that was the whole reason I bought the 360.  Plus, I've never been a fan of the keyboard and mouse control.  I know I'm in the minority here, but I guess it's cause I grew up on consoles.  But thats me.

dsenart

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 11:29:00 PM »

not to mention that there is NO WAY in any FPS 2 equally skilled players, 1 on PC and one on any console would be able to stay even with each other if they could fight against each other.  PC gives you much better control and accuracy on FPS's.  I used to be a strictly console only guy now.. PC is the way to go for FPS.