xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Lost Planet Demo Now Available  (Read 665 times)

chuxterofdoom

• Archived User
Lost Planet Demo Now Available
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 07:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(loserkid182 @ May 10 2006, 06:19 PM) View Post

I agree, I was looking forward to this but it was pretty crap.

Aiming isn't great, 2nd big bug thing in the building killed me even after emptying all my Machine Gun & Rocket ammo into it.

You have to aim at the glowing orange tail part.  Anything else won't affect it.  The second big bug is easy to kill with the mech suit! smile.gif  Have fun!

amb7247

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(loserkid182 @ May 10 2006, 07:19 PM) View Post

Aiming isn't great, 2nd big bug thing in the building killed me even after emptying all my Machine Gun & Rocket ammo into it.

Footprints disappear sad.gif

Deleted the Demo and the Trailers I thought were good.

I wouldn't class it as next-gen, GOW is Next Gen, this isn't.

I like amount of content they are putting on the Marketplace now.

Although it kept disconning yesterday when dloading Halo 3 trailer

I have to disagree with everything you said.

Kernal69er

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006, 07:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(loserkid182 @ May 10 2006, 07:19 PM) View Post

Footprints disappear sad.gif

Deleted the Demo and the Trailers I thought were good.

I wouldn't class it as next-gen, GOW is Next Gen, this isn't.

I like amount of content they are putting on the Marketplace now.

Although it kept disconning yesterday when dloading Halo 3 trailer
Your not agreeing with me, because I NEVER said the game was "crap"

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2006, 08:17:00 PM »

I finally got around to playing the demo...

The Graphics are simply jaw droping, easily better then anything I've seen on the console yet. The animation and the flash light effects when you go into darker areas... simply stunning.

The first mission scared the hell out of me. I was consentrating on all the little bug things when you pass under the land bridge. I was sort of walking backwards just admiring the scenery and I stopped moving so I turned around only to see the enormous bug monser getting ready to stab me  blink.gif  I almost shat myself seeing that larger then life on my HD projector.

Obviously the demo doesn't give us any taste of the storyline, and it's clear there are some tweaks to be worked out with the game play. Moving the character is a bit too tight and slow, while moving the crosshairs is a bit too loose.

If they worked out the UI issues (which really arn't THAT bad) and added a decent story (which if you watched the trailer it looks like there IS a really good story) this could turn out to be an awesome game. If anything it looks like a playable Starship Troopers.

As of right now it plays like a tech demo, and honestly I felt like I was playing a pre-rendered cut scene... I have no doubt GoW, CO3, or even Killzone 2 graphics are possible on this console. It's just a matter of seeing the developer make good use of it.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006, 11:29:00 PM »

finally some one who can speak the words i am to lazy to type!  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

had some friends over tonite and handed them the controller before showing them the game, and they were in awe.  the giant creatures movement is so fuid. the explosions are room shaking.    very fun!

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2006, 11:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 10 2006, 10:24 PM) View Post

The Graphics are simply jaw droping, easily better then anything I've seen on the console yet. The animation and the flash light effects when you go into darker areas... simply stunning.

The first mission scared the hell out of me. I was consentrating on all the little bug things when you pass under the land bridge. I was sort of walking backwards just admiring the scenery and I stopped moving so I turned around only to see the enormous bug monser getting ready to stab me  blink.gif I almost shat myself seeing that larger then life on my HD projector.

Obviously the demo doesn't give us any taste of the storyline, and it's clear there are some tweaks to be worked out with the game play. Moving the character is a bit too tight and slow, while moving the crosshairs is a bit too loose.

If they worked out the UI issues (which really arn't THAT bad) and added a decent story (which if you watched the trailer it looks like there IS a really good story) this could turn out to be an awesome game. If anything it looks like a playable Starship Troopers.

As of right now it plays like a tech demo, and honestly I felt like I was playing a pre-rendered cut scene... I have no doubt GoW, CO3, or even Killzone 2 graphics are possible on this console. It's just a matter of seeing the developer make good use of it.

Hahahaha, same here

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2006, 12:46:00 AM »

Wow now this is more like it!!!  The abysmal sony showing and now the sweetest lookin game nobody has ever seen.

Somebody's neighbors are getting 360's this weekend.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006, 07:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 10 2006, 10:24 PM) View Post

The first mission scared the hell out of me. I was consentrating on all the little bug things when you pass under the land bridge. I was sort of walking backwards just admiring the scenery and I stopped moving so I turned around only to see the enormous bug monser getting ready to stab me  blink.gif  I almost shat myself seeing that larger then life on my HD projector.

too true.  i finally played the demo briefly last night after having the E3 party at deftech's place.  truely i did not expect the game to look and play this good.  i saw the demo a couple days ago on my bro's regular TV and was mildly impressed but playing on my HDTV was like another world.  a lot goes on with particle effects (snow, sparks, debri, etc.) and no matter what it stays silky smooth.  i also got a Starship Troopers vibe when gunning down hords of bugs in the parking lot section of the demo with the green blood exploding everywhere thanks to my shotgun  biggrin.gif   yes, i was wrong and now i do believe that killzone level graphics are nearly reachable on our beloved system.

XBANDGUY

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »

Twisted,

I could be wrong but I thought I saw in the options look sensitivity.

I was impressed with this demo and look forward to the final product.

dabigdilla

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »

that is great we get 2 levels to play, totally different gameplay.  I played for a few minutes the first level, also got a big "Starship Troopers" feeling from the arachnids  tongue.gif

but, at first it was kinda boring.  empty clip after clip into bugs that barely even tried to kill me.  I did make it to that big fugger in the hangar, but died quick.  the controls take some getting used to.

then i played the next level.  big difference fighting humans, good AI to go against.  

i'll hafta play thru again and see if i notice anything major in the graphics.  the first level i found it hard to even see the enemy spiders because the snowfall was so cloudy....probably on purpose but i couldnt tell what the hell they looked like up close.  plus the fact that the footprints disappear......those little things.  explosions are ok, every games has a different type of course, this one is ok.   i wasn't really like:  wow, look at that explosion!  like i was in graw.

aiming takes getting used too as well, but not hindering the gameplay.  I think it wouldn've been better in first person, imo.  

have questions:

Do those orange glow boxes left from dead enemies restore health?  is that your health meter at the top left?  and it keeps going down as time ticks unless you pick up those orange packs?  weird.

Also, do you get to try the mech in the demo, second level?  i fought with it some, died, but didn't see another mech that was empty.  

Joergen

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »

No lockups here. I played it through a couple times now both levels and on the second time it was even more impressive when I realised I could blow away some of the walls and especially the guard towers.

Its little touches like those destructable elements (that blow up with decent physics too not just animations) that give a nice deal more oomph.

Its funny though, I bet the PS5 and Xbox 4 will still have plenty of games where most of the stuff isnt any more destrucable than most games today. Some devs just dont see the light of physics. Gladly Bungie already did with Halo2 (within the limits of the xbox) as did Valve, and the non-visionary folks might just follow suit.

CrystalXBOX

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »

I played the demo through as well.  I'm also careful when buying a third person, but I've seen enough to know that I need Lost Planet when it comes out... I nearly crapped my pants when this big monster popped up out the snow.. good times, good times..  did any of you grab that huge as shotgun where the mech suit is in that hanger ? Looks like one heavy gun!!

amb7247

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2006, 11:59:00 PM »

what i like is withi the robot mech you can add on additional guns to it. THe ones that have the blue around them  I think. Makes killing easier.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2006, 06:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(amb7247 @ May 19 2006, 02:06 AM) View Post

what i like is withi the robot mech you can add on additional guns to it. THe ones that have the blue around them  I think. Makes killing easier.

you can pick them up and carry them by hand too... it's pretty badd-ass  smile.gif

I think if they tweaked the controls a little bit, made it play a little faster and more fluid this will be a must buy for me beerchug.gif

MaxEgg

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2006, 07:02:00 AM »

Do those orange glow boxes left from dead enemies restore health?  is that your health meter at the top left?  and it keeps going down as time ticks unless you pick up those orange packs?  weird.

Those incease the number in the upper left of the HUD.  I believe you can't stay in the cold too long (acts much like a timer, ie. complete the level before that number hits zero)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4