xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Tomb Raider Us Shipment Delayed?  (Read 665 times)

Topey327

• Archived User
Tomb Raider Us Shipment Delayed?
« on: April 06, 2006, 10:22:00 PM »

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 07:32:00 AM »

Nipplegate  laugh.gif

Honestly though, I think it's a fake.  If you know anything about texture maps, you'd know that isn't how they look.  Yes, they do cram muktiple textures onto a single image... but the textures don't have depth in them like that image does.  The depth is provided by the mapping onto a 3-dimensional object.  Typically, the texture would be nearly unrecognizable because it is a 2d, unwrapped version of the 3d object.   Take the leg for example... it wouldn't look like a cutout of a leg... it would look like the skin was peeled off from the back.  

Here's a good example of what I mean with a face texture.
IPB Image

davemire

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 09:02:00 AM »

I think it's fake. I am not sure how long it takes to press the discs but you think they would be well underway by now with the release date so close!

sn4k13s

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 10:06:00 AM »

seems real to me. ive seen plenty of texture maps during my game programming days, and this is one form of the way textures are applied.  lowendfrequency, the method you describe is not the only way to do textures.

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(sn4k13s @ Apr 7 2006, 11:37 AM) View Post

seems real to me. ive seen plenty of texture maps during my game programming days, and this is one form of the way textures are applied.  lowendfrequency, the method you describe is not the only way to do textures.

You are absolutely right, it isn't the only way to do textures.  Way back in the day, when polygon counts were ridiculously small and characters were notoriously blocky, the illusion of depth and shading was achieved through the textures.  However, todays version of Tomb Raider is very different.  Now Lara's titty casts it's own shadow.  I still vote for fake.

Ces2k3

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »

im sorry i think this is fake due to the fact that only on that website is where this news is comming from. i have yet to see this on  the main sites like ign, gamespot ect..  till then i will consider this fake

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 11:22:00 AM »

Dont be so gullible people  rolleyes.gif

if it was even a popular rumor, all other sites would have it posted, they do not.

the game is finished and on its way to retailers.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 12:43:00 PM »

not to mention the "texture" they showed didn't even look like a typical texture (incomplete...) Not to mention it DEFINITELY didn't look like a texture that would fit the Tomb Raider graphical style.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »

Well the game is already out here in the UK and i doubt this would be something just in the US version so its bullshit

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »

updated: http://www.xboxic.com/news/653

and they also say: "EU-only 1.1 patch removes the nipples." and show before/after shots...
funny stuff to say the least.

sn4k13s

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 09:23:00 AM »

im convinced now that this is real.  the guy seems to have backup up his claim with some nice screenshots of all the textures.  They look like legit textures to me.

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 11:06:00 AM »

I'm even more convinced it's fake.  Have you seen the new textures?  They are horribly botched by the prankster... overlayed on top of each other and all.  

Honestly, I don't think Lara's skin even uses textures.  Play the demo and move the camera real close.  Looks like a textureless vertex shader to me.  Look at Lara's hands as well, the fingernails don't match.