Huxley
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2005, 07:12:00 AM »

yes they do use servers............ dry.gif

for the service that you get, i dont mind paying

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Huxley
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2005, 10:56:00 AM »

I'm fairly certain SegaNet was NOT free... I remember paying about $22 a month when it first came out (I think the price dropped as low as $10 a month).

WAY more expensive than XBL and not nearly as many features.

XBL is worth $50 a year for the downloads and voice messaging alone... you'll be getting both of those FREE with the 360's Silver account.

If you really don't want to pay then go play on one of the free Network based services. and if you have complaints about those... well that's why XBL is worth the $50  rolleyes.gif

Go keep track of how much you play online with XBL and then tell me how much it would cost for other forms of entertainment for the same amount of time, like renting a DVD, going to an arcade, or taking your lady friend out to dinner...

XBL costs less than $1 a week... please I probably spend 10 times that on Soda alone and that's not nearly as entertaining.

incognegro

• Archived User
Huxley
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2005, 12:25:00 PM »

ur right twisted, seganet WAS not free. it was 20 bucks..........i use to subscribe to it.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Huxley
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2005, 07:46:00 AM »

As far as value goes... things are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them. I find XBL to be of great value, to me $50 is pocket change, I have more than that in my pocket as I type this, I spend more than that taking my girl out to dinner and a movie on the weekend and that only provides a few hours of entertainment. I've paid much more for much less with other services and the lack of hassle and (relatively) reliable servers XBL provides is worth it to me.

I wasn't one of those people who went on a waiting list or Beta tested XBL Infact I didn't even have it until last year. I didn't play it at all until there was a few games that I really wanted to try, and THEN I signed up for a 2 month trial. At the end of the 2 months I decided it was well worth the $50 for a full years subscription that I bought it. I've played XBConnect/Xlink Kai/PC games online and they all work well for JUST playing games but things like messaging, invites, downloadable content, ease of use, reliable servers, and (comparatively) less cheating is what brought my wallet out.

If you have a problem with games not supporting network play bring it up with the developer not MS, MS created a service and developers can choose to use it or not. They're not stupid, they know that things like Kai exist and if they choose not to support them by not including network play, well that's their own fault.

spearfree

• Archived User
Huxley
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2005, 07:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jul 19 2005, 03:57 PM)
As far as value goes... things are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them. I find XBL to be of great value, to me $50 is pocket change, I have more than that in my pocket as I type this, I spend more than that taking my girl out to dinner and a movie on the weekend and that only provides a few hours of entertainment. I've paid much more for much less with other services and the lack of hassle and (relatively) reliable servers XBL provides is worth it to me.

lostboyz

• Archived User
Huxley
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2005, 07:58:00 AM »

i still cant believe people complain about online costs for xbl. $50 a year for the 200+ live ready games.  thats pennies per game, granted most only play 3-4 online. $50 is nothing, well worth it

Deftech

• Archived User
Huxley
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »

Huxley Online related...

http://www.xbox365.c...GiLPGuL07191012

beerchug.gif

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Huxley
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2005, 12:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jul 19 2005, 09:57 AM)
to me $50 is pocket change, I have more than that in my pocket as I type this, I spend more than that taking my girl out to dinner and a movie on the weekend and that only provides a few hours of entertainment.

That was real arrogant. Good for you twisted.........You have more than $50 in your pocket as you typed that. rolleyes.gif
I've paid much more for much less with other services and the lack of hassle and (relatively) reliable servers XBL provides is worth it to me.

Yeah, I forgot that I never pay to play Half-Life, Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike Source, Day of defeat, etc. I also forget how reliable the servers are. I seem to keep forgetting all the updates, new maps, weapons, and whatever other downloads valve gives to me almost every week. I also seem to forget how Steam collects all of these together in one program, like XBL. Valve has not asked for a dime since my purchase...............

As far as server hosting
Battlefiled 2.........................
So let me get this straight. M$ wants me to pay because I am using their servers. If EA can run the servers free(all ranked B2 servers are controlled by EA), someone please explain why M$ needs to charge me?
I can explain why. They are monopolistic. If the people are willing to pay............

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Huxley
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2005, 12:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(zero129 @ Jul 19 2005, 01:48 PM)

Shawn_

• Archived User
Huxley
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2005, 12:10:00 PM »

Also, would you not still need to log onto live, which is a ms server to play BF2?

I dunno, I play games on my pc and my Xbox.

I have a better experience on Xbox live then with steam. Counter-strike is cool and all though.

Deftech

• Archived User
Huxley
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

Shawn_

• Archived User
Huxley
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Deftech @ Jul 19 2005, 02:27 PM)
I dont give a shit what servers are played on, just signing into Live is worth the $$. It doesnt get any simpler than that. You sign in hence youre using their service. If people think thats ludicrous, by all means stick with pc and ps2 gaming. Live is by far the easiest, most convenient system out there.. worth every penny and then some.

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Huxley
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2005, 12:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(Deftech @ Jul 19 2005, 02:27 PM)
Live is by far the easiest, most convenient system out there.. worth every penny and then some.

Do you mean in your opinion? The PC version of Battlefield 2 requires you to sign in. It save your name and password, everytime you load the game you just connect to EA's server and it free.

Have you even used Steam? Someone please explain how that is not conveinient. I can even run mods through it.

The whole point is, M$ the worlds richest company, has to charge for online play when other smaller companies don't.

Nice to see you too Deftech, I am in a craby mood today if you couldn't tell. beerchug.gif

Shawn_

• Archived User
Huxley
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2005, 12:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(deftonesmx17 @ Jul 19 2005, 02:34 PM)
Do you mean in your opinion? The PC version of Battlefield 2 requires you to sign in. It save your name and password, everytime you load the game you just connect to EA's server and it free.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5