xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Take-2: GTA IV Sales Estimates Too Low - Play.com: 80sales/min  (Read 356 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

Take-2: GTA IV Sales Estimates Too Low - Play.com: 80sales/min
Posted by XanTium | April 30 00:21 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From gamesindustry.biz:

Take-Two CEO Ben Feder has said that he believes analysts estimates for sales of Grand Theft Auto IV are too low.

A number of analysts and research firms have taken a shot at predicting the success of the game, with Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter estimating the game will sell over 9 million units this fiscal year, with Take-Two shipping 6 million units in the first week to meet demand.

"Our expectations are very high, higher than analysts give the game credit for," said Feder, speaking to Reuters.

From gamesindustry.biz:

Online retailer Play.com has revealed it has been taking over 80 orders per minute for Grand Theft Auto IV, released today.

Stuart Rowe, chief operating officer for Play.com, has said that the game is likely to smash previous sales records in the videogame sector.
"We're experiencing trading levels similar to what we would see in the run up to Christmas, taking over 80 orders per minute at peak times.

Full Story: gamesindustry.biz(1) | gamesindustry.biz(2)
Buy from Amazon: GTA IV(IMG:http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=finalfantasyx-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000FRU1UM) $60 | GTA IV Special Edition(IMG:http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=finalfantasyx-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000TG72OW) $90 | Xbox360 + GTAIV = 30usd off(IMG:http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=finalfantasyx-20&l=ur2&o=1)

dokworm

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »

I never realised this game was *that* big. I never bought any of the previous titles until they ended up in the bargain section. I always enjoyed the games, but had no idea they were this insanely popular.

Take 2 should do a WoW style thing with it, and get all of these suckers to pay a monthly subscription.

m82a1

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »

no they shouldnt, they should stick to gta style
do i sense a gta 4 shortage coming?

Tiuk

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(dokworm @ Apr 30 2008, 01:46 AM) *

I never realised this game was *that* big. I never bought any of the previous titles until they ended up in the bargain section. I always enjoyed the games, but had no idea they were this insanely popular.

Yeah, I didn't realize they were this popular either. This is the first one that I actually play on console, I've always just waited until it hit PC.

I don't know, it's fun, and you certainly get a lot of game for your money, but there are other games I enjoy more. *shrug*

Base8

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 12:48:00 AM »

I actually heard a really good review, if you could call it that, of GTA IV on NPR today.  They described the controversy behind the game, and talked about the social commentary that the game has.  It was good to see a positive media reaction to GTA IV though especially from NPR, I'm used to hearing horrible things about the game from the media, not a positive review from a non-gamer who played the game for the first time.

vanxman

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 04:05:00 AM »

Agreed... GTA is fun for about an hour, then it reminds me too much of the daily grind. Go here. Do that. Buy this. It's nearly too much like its doing chores as opposed to gaming.

:-D

This post has been edited by vanxman: Apr 30 2008, 11:06 AM

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 04:10:00 AM »

you all make fun of our accents and we still give you GTA.

Scotland owns.

bitches

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 04:22:00 AM »

yeah but didnt the main gta guy just become a us citizen?  wink.gif

kowrip

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(Tiuk @ Apr 30 2008, 07:20 AM) *

Yeah, I didn't realize they were this popular either. This is the first one that I actually play on console, I've always just waited until it hit PC.

I don't know, it's fun, and you certainly get a lot of game for your money, but there are other games I enjoy more. *shrug*

The high quality of GTA:SA was overshadowed by the whole "Hot Coffee" controversy.  That's too bad because it really is an outstanding game and that fact become lost.  It just raised the bar dramatically for the GTA games.  I think a lot of people don't get into them because it's not completely obvious just how much content is in the game until you play it for a while.  It still amazes me to this day how much they squeezed into GTA:SA.  GTA4 definitely seems to be another jump up in quality.

reigningdesign

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »

A number of analysts and research firms have taken a shot at predicting the success of the game, with Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter estimating the game will sell over 9 million units this fiscal year, with Take-Two shipping 6 million units in the first week to meet demand.

I think they shipped to many copies, every retail store that sells video games did NOT sell out on the release date.  They are all currently overstocked, same with most all online stores.

6 Million copies was over kill.

The game simply isn't *THAT* big.

pop.gif

fuzzyfuk

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(reigningdesign @ Apr 30 2008, 10:26 AM) View Post

I think they shipped to many copies, every retail store that sells video games did NOT sell out on the release date.  They are all currently overstocked, same with most all online stores.

6 Million copies was over kill.

The game simply isn't *THAT* big.

pop.gif

Actually in Arizona where I live, its sold out everywhere.

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »

@ Bestbuy.com both Special Editions are sold out online and the 360 version (normal) is backordered. The standard PS3 version is the only one available there.

http://www.bestbuy.c...s...ries&ks=960

BTW BB is running a promotion, if you buy a 360 and GTA4 they will give you a free $50 gift card.

http://www.bestbuy.c...p;type=category
Great deal for those that don't already have a console, or those that want to pick up a 2nd console.  smile.gif

Aphonia

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(Base8 @ Apr 30 2008, 01:48 AM) *

I actually heard a really good review, if you could call it that, of GTA IV on NPR today.  They described the controversy behind the game, and talked about the social commentary that the game has.  It was good to see a positive media reaction to GTA IV though especially from NPR, I'm used to hearing horrible things about the game from the media, not a positive review from a non-gamer who played the game for the first time.

I actually heard an NPR report yesterday on GTAIV and it was pretty funny.  It might of been the same one you heard.  Like you said it was actually a positive piece, and they even laughed at one of the radio stations being a spoof of NPR.

Anywhot, like others have said I never realized it was that popular.  I'll just wait for it to drop in price.  I'm one of those gals who refuses to pay the $10 increase since the new pricing scheme started with the next generation machines.  I'll wait for it to become a Greatest Hits and pick it up for 19.99 or 29.99.

lcprove

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(Aphonia @ Apr 30 2008, 03:47 PM) View Post

I actually heard an NPR report yesterday on GTAIV and it was pretty funny.  It might of been the same one you heard.  Like you said it was actually a positive piece, and they even laughed at one of the radio stations being a spoof of NPR.

Anywhot, like others have said I never realized it was that popular.  I'll just wait for it to drop in price.  I'm one of those gals who refuses to pay the $10 increase since the new pricing scheme started with the next generation machines.  I'll wait for it to become a Greatest Hits and pick it up for 19.99 or 29.99.

buy it at circuit city and get a $10 gift card.

phineous

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »

I've been playing for two hours and I want to know how to pimp out my taxi.

Oh yeah, how do I get my passengers to pay the fare?  They jump out and I have to chase them down and beat it out of them.  At least in Crazy Taxi they would tip.
Pages: [1] 2