xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Gta Iv Freezing On Xbox 360 And Ps3  (Read 205 times)

[-FREEZER-]

• Archived User
Gta Iv Freezing On Xbox 360 And Ps3
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »

I bought GTA IV and  it freezes on my modded Xbox. During the intro or after 5 minutes of playing. That's an original game. I've just inserted a copy and got the same freezing problem. I have a BenQ drive.

While I was surfing I come accross this site: http://kotaku.com/385073/wait-gta-iv-is-locking-up

Seems that the PS3 also has freezing problems with GTA IV.

Its an issue affecting both PS3 and 360. Logic would dictate a bad batch of game discs for both systems.

Well, my copy of GTA causes my PS3 to "crash" and sort of half ass turn itself off during the intro cutscene.

Game freezes during the first cutscene. Or if cutscene is skipped, game freezes few seconds in the game.

My game lasts about 7min before each freeze. It is a problem. I own a 60GB PS3 that i bought back in jan 07'so its pretty much a launch PS3.

this crash is happening to me. I have a launch 60GB PS3.

I know a bunch of people that have the problem. All of them with fairly old, 60GB PS3's. I don't know anyone with a 40GB that has this problem.

What could be the problem? Drive? Bad batch?

This post has been edited by [-FREEZER-]: Apr 29 2008, 09:44 PM

Tiuk

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »

Seems unlikely that it could just be a bad batch, since the PS3 version is on Bluray and the Xbox 360 version is on DVD.

[-FREEZER-]

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »

Rockstar Support: No GTA Freeze Fix in Sight

Earlier today we broke the news that some Grand Theft Auto IV gamers were having problems with the game on both the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

For them, the game was freezing up during the introductory cut-scene, something that neither I nor Mike experienced during our time with the game on both systems. To be clear, we have no idea how widespread the problem is, but it's certainly on Rockstar's radar and making the rounds both in our tips line and on forums.

Rockstar declined to comment on the issue officially, so I went to the phone and called up Rockstar Support to see what they had to say about the problem.

A very friendly, and obviously unhappy, fellow answered the phone who, after thanking me for not yelling at him and apologizing profusely for the problem, spilled quite a bit of beans on the issue:

The man told me that the problem is apparently only effecting the 60 GB version of the Playstation 3, but that it didn't matter than my particular console was a launch console (Yes, I told a little white lie and said my copy was locking up.) He said the problem is not across the board for the 60GB PS3s but rather only impacts some, so their tech folks are working around the clock to try and figure out what is causing the issue.

He did ask me to make sure that my harddrive wasn't full and that I had the latest firmware update, but confessed that that really isn't what's causing most of the problem. He also said that the Xbox 360 is having the "exact same problem," which has further stumped their tech folks.

I asked him if wiping the harddrive and reinstalling the PS3 version would help, as seen on the PS forums, he said I could try but that he hadn't heard of it helping a single person.

He ended the call by saying that they really have no idea when a fix will be coming because they can't figure out what is exactly causing the problem and then once more apologized.

"I feel terrible about this."

If only more support folks were as empathetic and genuinely concerned about the problems their customers are going through.

Source: http://kotaku.com/38...ze-fix-in-sight

I hope they'll fix this problem. Still can't play  sad.gif

Tiuk

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »

Wow, that really sucks. Hope they get it sorted out soon.

KaRiL

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »

I'm having this problem, game freezes(picture freezes but music/dialogue keeps going) then it starts back up again every 5-7 minutes.  just put the game in and already has frozen like this 4 times.  taking it back to the store to get a replacement. anyone else with this problem? I'll post if the new disc fixes it
edit: playing on 360 btw

This post has been edited by KaRiL: Apr 30 2008, 03:37 AM

KaRiL

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »

just got the new copy and no problems so far, looks like it might have been my copy, glad I didn't buy online this time ph34r.gif

[-FREEZER-]

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 05:58:00 AM »

Update on this problem:

-------------------------------

GTA IV: The shortest game ever. Maximum 5 min of gameplay before it locks-up my PS3.

As everybody knows now, thousands unlucky customers having XBOX360 and PS3 (every models confirmed) are suffering of crashes of their console in the first 5 min of GTA IV: their video will freeze, the sound will partially goes on and whole console will hang.

The main discussion currently stands on the US board:

http://boardsus.play...message?board.i
d=gta&thread.id=370613

And there are several threads on this UK forums:

http://community.eu....board/message?b
oard.id=73&thread.id=24975

http://community.eu....board/message?b
oard.id=73&thread.id=22999

There are several videos on youtube that show exactly what is happening. Example:

So far, after 30+ hours, here what the consumers, now converted into testers, have noticed.

The regular locks-up (crashes) will happen on all PS3 models (and not only laucnh PS3 60GB):

- straight away during the first 2 cutscenes and in the next 5 min if you pass the cutescenes (my case);

- happens after several hours of game. First crash and after reset of the PS3, every 5 min (some report on this UK forum and a lot on the US);

- all kind of tests have been performed : new BD, network settings, video settings, sound settings, harddrive replacement (see US forum);

I called yesterday Take 2 Support as described on the 'Liberty City Guidebook' on page 27.

The gentleman confirmed all calls regarding GTA IV is about the locks-up in less than 5 min of game. He also confirmed it's been escalated but doesn't know when and how to fix the issue. He recommended to send by my copy for refund.

The only possible idea highlighted so far is an 'overloading of the RAM' on both console.

http://xboxfamily.ne...-Consoles-Cache
--Causing-Freezez.html

"Rockstar, in their very finite wisdom designed the game to have no loading times. ThatÂ’s great, except for the fact that GTA IV now overloads the cache and causes a lock-up (freeze). So now, instead of saving load times and providing a seamless experience, Rockstar has forced some machines to crash while attempting to load from the cache.

The solution: Rockstar needs to release a patch that limits the strain on the RAM right out of the gate. Can they even do this? Who knows?"

Recommendation if you are in this situation:

- Don't try too much to crash your PS3 (ie. play GTA IV) or you may completely deflect it. There are already people reporting (in the US thread and on this UK forum) their PS3 needs to be sent back to Sony for Repair after trying to play GTA IV. Critical damage: All games on Blu-ray Disc will not play anymore.

- Call the Take 2 Techincal Support and explain your issue;

- Register on Take 2 Support and raise a ticket to them http://support.take2games.com.

- Wait until Rockstar provide a patch.

Bossx20

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »

my 360 copy freezes (video lock and sound lock) 5-10 minutes into every game. exchanged the disk, and still have the same issues.

This post has been edited by Bossx20: Apr 30 2008, 06:49 PM

KaRiL

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(Bossx20 @ Apr 30 2008, 10:47 AM) View Post

my 360 copy freezes (video lock and sound lock) 5-10 minutes into every game. exchanged the disk, and still have the same issues.

have you tried loading a save after the opening intro?
Clearing the cache seemed to work for some too
Hold "A" during boot up
or
go to system blade, select memory.  Then highlight hard drive
press: Y,X,X,lb,rb,X,X then perform system maintenance
hope that helps

scuba156

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »

holding A during bootup will not clear the cache unless your playing Oblivion. it was included in the games code and is not an xbox wide feature. the second method may help people though

[-FREEZER-]

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 05:19:00 AM »

Yesterday I bought a new Xbox 360 premium. My copy of GTA IV now works perfect, no more freezing.

MeanMangoMan

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »

' date='May 2 2008, 05:19 AM' post='4267746']
Yesterday I bought a new Xbox 360 premium. My copy of GTA IV now works perfect, no more freezing.

Obviously this is a hardware issue as I have not had a single problem. Somewhere along the road there was a change to the console, possibly the drive type. My machine runs perfect and as you can see buying a new unit fixes the problem as well. Sounds like a disc drive problem if you ask me.

rocky5

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »

OK I have not had any problems with my version of GTA IV though my friend bought his yesterday (Friday) and his would crash just after the intro mission when he would leave the flat door now i got him to take the hdd out and see if it would crash guess what it dint crash it worked fine tested with it with a couple of missions no more crashing so I told him to put his hdd back and clear the cache and guess what it worked a treat no more crashing he is still playing it and its not crashed yet.

So it must have something to do with the hdd cache like i have a device to backup my hdd if i use it my cache for skate gets corrupted so i have to clear the cache to play it again. So some how along the way the cache for GTA IV is getting corrupted and the game is trying to load it and crashing just like skate.

so if your game is crashing then take the hdd out and see if it still crashes if it does then your xbox or game is foocked if not then its your hdd cache clear it and you will be fine.

sniffinpoprocks

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 04:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(KaRiL @ May 1 2008, 06:19 PM) *

have you tried loading a save after the opening intro?
Clearing the cache seemed to work for some too
Hold "A" during boot up
or
go to system blade, select memory.  Then highlight hard drive
press: Y,X,X,lb,rb,X,X then perform system maintenance
hope that helps

I did this ( and deleted some stuff to make free space) and this fixed my lockup at first mission!! playing fine now!

This post has been edited by sniffinpoprocks: May 4 2008, 11:52 AM

welly_59

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »

my friend had the same problem with bioshock when it came out. it kept freezing, running very slow etc. we tried clearing the cache but it didnt solve the problem. we narrowed it down to the hdd as it run fine when the drive wasnt attached.

in the end he had to buy a memory unit and use that to save his bioshock games