xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Which Version Of GTA IV Should You Buy?  (Read 956 times)

kingatrock

• Archived User
Which Version Of GTA IV Should You Buy?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »

The 360 version is awesome, the references to popup is so insignificant in the actual game you'll forget that complaint just like all the reviews forgot about it. XBL is a sure bet that you know will work and perform the best. The game rocks, plain and simple, the story is very cool and I love that more content will come after I'm done with the main storyline. The load times are about 12-15 sec for me with 8x fw in the story cut scenes which arent bothersome at all, totally acceptable considering the xbl and additional content.

MaulerX

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 12:49:00 AM »

Both versions look great. Like IGN's head to head said, to notice a difference you have to put both versions side by side. So in that respect, any visual edge that the PS3 version might have gets drowned by all the 360 intangibles. XBL, Achievements and exclusive DLC.

gAm3 Fr3aQu3

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 12:57:00 AM »

PS3 version here.

Flagg3

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 01:11:00 AM »

The main reasons I chose the Xbox 360 version was that I personally prefer the Xbox 360 controller over the dual shock - and especially for the DLC.  It also doesn't hurt that most of the people I will play multiplayer with all own Xbox 360's and no PS3's.

QUOTE(MaulerX @ Apr 28 2008, 02:49 AM) *

Both versions look great. Like IGN's head to head said, to notice a difference you have to put both versions side by side. So in that respect, any visual edge that the PS3 version might have gets drowned by all the 360 intangibles. XBL, Achievements and exclusive DLC.

And don't forget that awesome bonus that games that tax the Xbox 360 really hard like GTA IV invoke the super cool Jet Engine sound simulator on the Xbox 360!   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by Flagg3: Apr 28 2008, 08:12 AM

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 01:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(PerfectGun @ Apr 28 2008, 06:08 AM) View Post

How about you just buy it for the system you own??

Wow, was that a stroke of genious or what?

People like me own both...genius.

QUOTE(Base8 @ Apr 28 2008, 06:09 AM) View Post

Wow.. that article was pretty biased.. I'm getting gta4 on he 360.. because i don't own a ps3.  I think it is kinda cheesy that MS payed for exclusive content, but i guess if they hadn't it would seem like a ps3 game that is also on the 360.  Good game though... I hope.

Biased? It doesn't even have a conclusion. It's more like a question with a slight opinion that still leaves you wondering what the result should be!

Personally, I'm waiting until the rumored "episodic" content has more information. They haven't dismissed that the PS3 will have the same or similar content, nor confirmed the 360's exclusive content as "completely unique".

They could very well release similar DLC for both systems, with minor differences, or DLC that's very (if not entirely) different to encourage people with both systems to buy both versions.

colt45joe

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 02:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(Molten Universe @ Apr 28 2008, 06:04 AM) *

^^^ Do you honestly think it will be like 3 or vice city how you drive into stuff that wasn't there half a second ago, c

looking at some gameplay videos.. it does seem to happen kinda somewhat few times....

This post has been edited by colt45joe: Apr 28 2008, 09:16 AM

irnchriz

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 02:27:00 AM »

"The PS3 version is uncompressed and runs at a native 1080p Full HD resolution."

LOL

Both versions are identical apart from AA which is on the 360 and the Angela Landsbury vaseline blur filter which the PS3 version uses.

Remember Kotaku are notorious Sony Fanboys and will not accept that the 360 version looks sharper and also does not hitch as much as the PS3 when things get busy onscreen.  The PS3 also has to pre-load loads of stuff to the HDD (takes 12 minutes) again.

This runs exactly the same as the PS3 version on an Arcade 360, but runs smoother on a premium.

Of course, hardly anyone plays online on the PS3 so comparing the online is a non-starter.

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Apr 28 2008, 09:43 AM) *

People like me own both...genius.
 Biased? It doesn't even have a conclusion. It's more like a question with a slight opinion that still leaves you wondering what the result should be!

Personally, I'm waiting until the rumored "episodic" content has more information. They haven't dismissed that the PS3 will have the same or similar content, nor confirmed the 360's exclusive content as "completely unique".

They could very well release similar DLC for both systems, with minor differences, or DLC that's very (if not entirely) different to encourage people with both systems to buy both versions.

There is no DLC for PS3 and sadly no Home integration coming for GTA either.

ThaCrip

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 02:23:00 AM »

"Replying to Which Version Of GTA IV Should You Buy?"

i would say neither, wait for the (superior) PC version cause of mouse aiming wink.gif

DeMoN_DARREN

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 03:29:00 AM »

*sigh*

If you have the choice I would go with the one with better online and known DC coming to it.  But fuck it people, just get it

trey85stang

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 03:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(PerfectGun @ Apr 28 2008, 06:08 AM) *

Wow, was that a stroke of genious or what?

No,  it wasn't.. spelling mistake or not.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 03:48:00 AM »

PS3 version. But this game is over hyped any how. Yes it will be a good game but it is not the mind blowing title it's made out to be.
Don't see online as an issue on either. It amazes me how people make a sweeping statement that every game is better online on the 360. I tell you for certain. COD 4 is a sgood on PSN as it is on the 360.(Was going to buy COD4 for the 360 but playing online at my mates there was no difference between the 2 ) Why would GTA be any different?? Online I usually like to play against and in conjunction with other people I don't know. If i want to play my mates, we all turn up at one house and play...much more social. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The PS3 also has to pre-load loads of stuff to the HDD (takes 12 minutes) again.

Once. the first time you insert the game. Suddenly we go from people wanting to load everything onto the HDD (Xbox) to it being the worst thing ever.

Of course, hardly anyone plays online on the PS3 so comparing the online is a non-starter.

Quite simply untrue in my experience and I play both online.
360 version looks sharper and also does not hitch as much as the PS3 when things get busy onscreen.

Oh you have played both versions then?
 The one thing that will swing many with duel systems to the 360 is the exclusive content.
But as stated which ever machine you get it for, it's just another sequel at the end of the day.

This post has been edited by Chancer: Apr 28 2008, 10:59 AM

beasty54

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 03:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(steveju @ Apr 28 2008, 07:33 AM) View Post

"The PS3 version is uncompressed and runs at a native 1080p Full HD resolution."  biggrin.gif

I'm afraid it doesn't, neither versions run at a native 1080p.

d-range

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 04:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Apr 28 2008, 10:48 AM) *
Don't see online as an issue on either. It amazes me how people make a sweeping statement that every game is better online on the 360. I tell you for certain. COD 4 is a sgood on PSN as it is on the 360.(Was going to buy COD4 for the 360 but playing online at my mates there was no difference between the 2 ) Why would GTA be any different?? Online I usually like to play against and in conjunction with other people I don't know. If i want to play my mates, we all turn up at one house and play...much more social. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I think that's not really an 'excuse' for crappy online play. I don't really play online much anyway so I don't care that much, but saying matchmaking with friends is redundant because you can 'just all turn up at one house and play' is a bit stupid. It's not really an option for most people, it's not convenient, and there's not really a reason why the PS3 doesn't have friends lists etc. That said, the only game I tried playing online on my PS3 was Guitar Hero III and I can only say the online play sucks balls. It took me 10+ minutes for any game to start, there where virtually no other people and I was unable to connect to over half of the people present. If a simple game like Catan on the 360 works so well online, it's strange to see how terrible GH works, which (I think) is a direct consequence of the 360 having integrated libraries for online play, matchmaking etc, which makes stuff a lot easier for developers. It's definitely a BIG plus for the 360 over the PS3. Not even mentioning the crappy PS3 store and the problems I had downloading updates (slow, huge and fail a lot). I didn't manage to race online on GT5P either, but since I hate that game anyway (got fed up with the boring gameplay after only 4 hours) I've not tried that many times (only twice, in fact)

QUOTE(Chancer @ Apr 28 2008, 10:48 AM) *
Once. the first time you insert the game. Suddenly we go from people wanting to load everything onto the HDD (Xbox) to it being the worst thing ever.

I've seen you make this comment before but I think this is a really bad argument as well. Only people who hacked their xbox 1 and put really big HD's in it wanted their games on the HD,  and I assume most of which where downloaded illegaly which makes copying to the HD a lot more interesting. Since people are not really hacking the PS3 or downloading 'backups' for it, and seeing that some PS3's have only 20GB HDs and most of them have only 40GB, with installation to HD becoming the standard, this is going to suck a lot for average Joe or Jane who just buys a game console and finds out the HD runs out after they have more than 5 games. Call it whatever you like, but as soon as I will have to start cleaning my HD when I want to switch games and wait another 15 minutes to reinstall, I'm going to be very, very annoyed.

This post has been edited by d-range: Apr 28 2008, 11:33 AM

tummybanana

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 05:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(steveju @ Apr 28 2008, 05:33 AM) View Post

"The PS3 version is uncompressed and runs at a native 1080p Full HD resolution."  biggrin.gif

and seeing as most people only have either a standard tv or 720 res tv, big deal

Hidari_Mak

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 05:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Apr 28 2008, 12:51 AM) View Post

I will be getting the PS3 version. I have heard too many complaints about the slow loading of textures on the 360 version. I want to see what I am hitting before I hit it instead of waiting for the texture to load after I have already hit the object.

Even though Kotaku made no reference to a difference in loading times, textures, and draw distances, saying that the only difference was DTS (instead of Dolby Digital) sound on the PS3 versus exclusive content on the 360?  From what I've seen of the more professional websites, your claim doesn't hold up either, although I admit to not following this game that closely.  Where have you seen claims of such drastic differences in graphics?  Keep in mind that some professional websites are extremely biased, such as Gamepro for example.

QUOTE(Base8 @ Apr 28 2008, 01:09 AM) View Post

Wow.. that article was pretty biased.. I'm getting gta4 on he 360.. because i don't own a ps3.  I think it is kinda cheesy that MS payed for exclusive content, but i guess if they hadn't it would seem like a ps3 game that is also on the 360.  Good game though... I hope.

Actually, Sony frequently had developers sign contracts to keep games off of competing platforms altogether with the PS1 and PS2.  The only reason GTA3 and GTA:VC came to the Xbox at all was that the Sony contract forbid Rockstar from releasing those games individually for the Xbox, according to what was published on it.  Paying for exclusives and exclusive content is common practice for this business.  Potential profits from versions competing against Sony were just a lot easier to write off.

And as others have said, it's unknown how good the 360s exclusive content will be, and how well Sony's free online service will perform.  If you love the series and have to choose, it might be a good idea to wait a few more weeks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5