xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Which Version Of GTA IV Should You Buy?  (Read 953 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Which Version Of GTA IV Should You Buy?
« on: April 27, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | April 27 23:33 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From kotaku.com.au:

The good news for Grand Theft Auto fans is that whatever platform you have chosen as your own, GTA IV excels on both. They are almost evenly matched, feature for feature. Gamers will have to decide which is more important to them, a slightly more technically sound experience on the PlayStation 3 or downloadable content and Xbox Live integration on the Xbox 360.

If this were a personal decision, I'd have chosen the PlayStation 3 edition, mostly based on my preference for the DualShock controller and the performance edge. However, one thing that we have yet to experience is how well the PlayStation Network will handle the online portions of GTA IV, an extremely important consideration. I place less of an emphasis on features like Achievements and Gamerscore, but appreciate how well crafted and important these features are to others.

In the end, each version stands on its own, with the only downside to the differences being that those invested in their particularly backed console will expend so much effort focusing on something far less important than the game itself.

Full Story: kotaku.com.au

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »

I will be getting the PS3 version. I have heard too many complaints about the slow loading of textures on the 360 version. I want to see what I am hitting before I hit it instead of waiting for the texture to load after I have already hit the object.

Molten Universe

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »

^^^ Do you honestly think it will be like 3 or vice city how you drive into stuff that wasn't there half a second ago, come on, give Rockstar some credit on the XBOX360, its a different advanced gaming generation now, and I'm (pretty) sure that the game will be flawless on both consoles.

After all, this is the question i've seen going around on many forums, and it just fuels the fire for fanboys who want to rant.

This post has been edited by Molten Universe: Apr 28 2008, 06:05 AM

PerfectGun

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »

How about you just buy it for the system you own??

Wow, was that a stroke of genious or what?

360 for me, the technical problems are being blown out of proportion by the stupid masses of fanboys on the internet because I've seen the game in motion and it looks just fine.  The DLC, controller, Achievements and the fact everyone I know who is getting the game on the 360 are the reason's.  Then there is the little thing that I OWN A 360! lol

I'm getting sick of people saying the 360 version is full of problems when they are BOTH getting PERFECT scores just about everywhere.  I don't think if one version stood out so far technically above the other that they would both be receiving 10/10 scores.

This post has been edited by PerfectGun: Apr 28 2008, 06:10 AM

Base8

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »

Wow.. that article was pretty biased.. I'm getting gta4 on he 360.. because i don't own a ps3.  I think it is kinda cheesy that MS payed for exclusive content, but i guess if they hadn't it would seem like a ps3 game that is also on the 360.  Good game though... I hope.

vgplayer

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »

I was going to get the PS3 version anyways.  My Live has just about run up and I don't feel like paying $50 for it since I rarely play on Live.  I really wish this launched on PC too.  Without a doubt I would have got the PC version.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »

i guess since i have a 360, and not a ps3, the choice was easy.

everyone who owns it will have fun playing it regardless, so its almost a moot point.

kiwicha

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »

I spend the afternoon playing the game on my friend's house, he got a 360 copy early and I don't know if it is 'cause I've never seen the ps3 version but I think it looked awesome, didn't see any slowdown or pop in and the loading times were quick some took like 5 seconds but most of them were really quick. I'll get it on the 360. Well,I only have a 360

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »

360 for me!  I have a PS3 as well, but what's the point? None of my buddies do and mine pretty much just collects dust when it isn't playing a blu-ray movie - thinkin about pickin up GT4 Prologue for it, but it will most likely get itself a decent workout when God of War III comes out.

spivey8

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »

i got my gta iv already and its awesome, i have no idea what these people are saying about LONG LOAD TIME....the game runs very smooth and fast .....the online gameplay will blow the ps3 away, like it always has.... THANK YOU ROCKSTAR

steveju

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »

"The PS3 version is uncompressed and runs at a native 1080p Full HD resolution."  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Elemino

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »

The PS3 isn't exactly a super fast loading machine itself, so I don't see how load times for either machine is an argument. I will say there are way more reasons for me to get in on 360. Acheivements, points, live, content (when it becomes free lol), and i know no one else personally that owns a ps3. I'm not exactly sure why he likes the DS3 better than the 360's controller, but to each his own.

liam82517

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »

ps3 game sound comes in DTS which i prefer to dolby digital. but it has to be 360 version for me i hate the playstation controller always have the thumb sticks feel as tacked on today as they did in 96 or 97 when nintendo first had an analog stick with its n64 and sony wanted to copy it. not unlike when it did the same with the motion sensing crap.

oh and the people talking about the slow load times are the people that have hacked firmware running slower than 12x thats why it takes longer. it loads the textures and buildings and crap on the fly so it needs to accesss the dvd at 12x to keep up.

CeroSan

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(Elemino @ Apr 27 2008, 11:36 PM) *

The PS3 isn't exactly a super fast loading machine itself, so I don't see how load times for either machine is an argument. I will say there are way more reasons for me to get in on 360. Acheivements, points, live, content (when it becomes free lol), and i know no one else personally that owns a ps3. I'm not exactly sure why he likes the DS3 better than the 360's controller, but to each his own.

I will be getting the 360 version myself only because I have a lot of friends on LIVE that will be picking it up.  Achievements are also a plus.

The PS3 version gives you  the option to "Install" GTA on the hard drive.  So the load times are shorter on the PS3 due to catching, etc.  Also the draw distance is farther on the PS3 as reported by some of the more popular gaming sites.

Anyways, Enjoy your GTA everyone!

Shonk

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »

Slow load times are down to hacked firmware running at 5x/8x
also dvd-r dl doesnt read as fast as a pressed disk

i also think you will find the 360 version will look better
as the ps3 version has motion blurring to hide the lower texture quality and fps issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5