xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Microsoft on GTA IV Leak: 'Need to Look into this Further'  (Read 1388 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft on GTA IV Leak: 'Need to Look into this Further'
« on: April 24, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | April 24 14:03 EST | News Category: Xbox360

With the leak of the PAL version of GTA IV yesterday and the NTSC/U earlier today, here's what Major Nelson told kotaku.com:

A peek at Gamercard aggregator MyGamerCard.com reveals a long list of Xbox 360 users already racking up achievements on Grand Theft Auto IV since an illegal torrent of the game was leaked yesterday and early copies started showing up in people's homes.

Neither Rockstar nor Microsoft itself have yet responded to Kotaku's requests for comment.
Xbox Live's Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb, did say, however, that he was unable to comment yet due to the "need to look into this further," so we can assume that Microsoft, at least, is investigating.

echto

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »

"need to look into this further,"...  Shouldn't that be "need to look for our ban hammer."

lol

yaazz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »

MS wont do anything about this....  

Even with the leak, just about every person on earth is going to buy GTA4.
Look at Halo 2 and 3 as an example: Both games were leaked to the internet before their release dates. Both games also shattered sales records!

Hell, the easy solution would be to allow vendors to sell the game now. All the stores would have their copies now.

lecsiy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »

A peek at Gamercard aggregator MyGamerCard.com reveals a long list of Xbox 360 users already racking up achievements on Grand Theft Auto IV  

Im glad if they're gonna be banned. Those stupid enough to commit piracy, and then rack up achievements while on xbox live, they cant be much loss to the scene or live.

ka-b00m

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »

Simply donĀ“t play it if you get it illegally. Buy it when it gets available on stores... Ban Hammer please...

This post has been edited by ka-b00m: Apr 24 2008, 08:34 PM

Sillyboy18

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »

That be wrong for them to banned people becuase I know for a fact my local blockbuster recieved the game today.  There policy is to rent the game or movies to their employee before the released date becuase after the release date employee can't rent the game or movie for a month.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »

I can see MS getting the ban hammer ready.

Don't think for a second they'll offset this against sales figures. Of course they care - this is lost revenue to them. They'll ban the consoles and people who want to continue with Xbox Live will be in the position where they'll need to buy another console. Win/win situation for MS, methinks.

hecz

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »

Am I the only human being who doesnt give a damn about this game?

I think even my neighbor's dog is interested in Gta4

And I dont think the ban its a good idea cuz I worked at Blockbuster and yes they rent the game before its

released.

Leaked games wont sell less just look at what happened to halo 3.

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »

I guess I'll be the one to buck the trend here.  I really don't give a crap if they pirate it or not.  Personally, I'm not effected at all if somebody ganks the game and gets some achievements before the ligit copies are in stores.  Big whoop.  Odds are that most of them will buy a ligit copy when it releases anyways, most people just wanna play it early.  I don't see a problem with that myself.  Flame me if you will, but personally I don't give a flaming pile of dog crap if people steal the game.  It's not hurting me any, and I seriously doubt that the sales of GTAIV are gonna suffer the tiniest little bit because of the leak.

fluc02

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Apr 24 2008, 03:37 PM) *

I can see MS getting the ban hammer ready.

Don't think for a second they'll offset this against sales figures. Of course they care - this is lost revenue to them. They'll ban the consoles and people who want to continue with Xbox Live will be in the position where they'll need to buy another console. Win/win situation for MS, methinks.

Edit:  I had it totally backwards, wrong, wrong, wrong.  I'm an idiot, it's exams leave me alone.

This post has been edited by fluc02: Apr 24 2008, 09:43 PM

gsharpshooter

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »

eveyrone needs to chill wit this issue already bo boo beeeee booo nerrrrr ur gonna get the hammer ur gonna get pwned by ms and ill be the ultimate gta4 master gamer on 360 just be quiet already and do ur homework u pesky little children  dry.gif

Storm28

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(fluc02 @ Apr 24 2008, 04:34 PM) *

As far as I'm aware, they have never banned a console, even when they had clear evidence that a person had a modded console, only the gamertag.  

You have it backwords. They ban consoles, not gamertags. The console can't connect to live anymore.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »

= ban

Ergh just buy it for christ sake.

Denders

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(fluc02 @ Apr 24 2008, 09:34 PM) *

Are you dense?  As far as I'm aware, they have never banned a console, even when they had clear evidence that a person had a modded console, only the gamertag.  You're telling me that now, when they have evidence that someone might have pirated the game (or just bought it early), they're going to start banning consoles?  Microsoft are not idiots, and they probably don't feel like dealing with a class-action lawsuit from people who bought the game early and now have a useless console.

Uhm under wich stone did u sleep the last 10 years? MS NEVER bans gamertags, they always ban consoles from xbox live.

So u can stil use ur gamertag on a ligit xbox console. Cause the console has to be modded or flashed, not the gamertag.

parat8t9

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(fluc02 @ Apr 24 2008, 03:34 PM) View Post

Are you dense?  As far as I'm aware, they have never banned a console, even when they had clear evidence that a person had a modded console, only the gamertag.  You're telling me that now, when they have evidence that someone might have pirated the game (or just bought it early), they're going to start banning consoles?  Microsoft are not idiots, and they probably don't feel like dealing with a class-action lawsuit from people who bought the game early and now have a useless console.

Uhh don't they ban the console NOT the gamertag? Thats why you can't just sign up for a new account because the console's serial number is banned not the gamertag.

Please tell me if i'm wrong cause i've been banned for over a year now and I was almost positive you would need to buy a new console.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8