xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Janco: GTA IV Could Reach 6-9 Million In First Week Sales  (Read 157 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Janco: GTA IV Could Reach 6-9 Million In First Week Sales
« on: October 09, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | October 9 16:29 EST | News Category: (default)

From gamasutra.com:

Janco Partners' Mike Hickey estimates 4.4 million Halo 3 units sold in its first week, noting that the figure corresponds to a 67% attach rate to U.S. Xbox 360s and 46% for Europe and the U.S. combined. That's far higher than the 3.3 million units Halo 2 sold in its first three weeks -- a mere 30% attach rate to the U.S. Xbox installed base at the time.

Saying that even anticipating a 20% attach rate for GTA IV was exceedingly conservative, Hickey noted that while it may not reach the 46% rate Halo 3 achieved, even a 30% attach rate would mean first week sales of 6.2 million units -- far above Halo's own.
"If the upcoming release of GTA IV attached at the same rate as Halo 3," said Hickey, "the title could conceivably ship 9.5 million units of game in the first week, producing an astonishing $466 million in sales," concluding that the title, despite the delay, could have a "profound impact" on Take-Two relative to current financial projections.

Full Story: gamasutra.com

noob2modding

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »

I wonder how much money GTA IV would make in sales by calculating both Xbox 360 & PS3 sale.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »

im not one to reserve games, but I'll get this on release day.

CoLD FiRE

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »

Sorry for my English

Marrvia

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »

I seriously doubt it will sell 6-9 million in the first week.  That's insanity.  I'm kind of upset that Halo 3 sold as much as it did, because although it is a good game, it is not great, and only great games should sell that much.  I think it lowers the standard of games when games don't have to be the best to sell the best.

But I am way more excited about GTA4 than anything I've been excited for in a few years.  I already bought mine.  But I think it is only going to sell 3 million tops in one week though, which is still MONSTEROUS.

Marrvia

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »

Nah, it's not great at all.  It doesn't really provide anything new to the series, it's shorter than the other Halos, the graphics aren't impressive at all, etc.  Like I said, it's a good game, and can be very fun at times.  But not great.

For a game to be "Great", I think it has to be impressive.  Halo 3 isn't impressive, it is just more of the same, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not great, and DEFINITELY not one of the best games of all time.  I'm sure many would agree with me.

Jagosix

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(Marrvia @ Oct 10 2007, 01:45 AM) View Post

Nah, it's not great at all.  It doesn't really provide anything new to the series, it's shorter than the other Halos, the graphics aren't impressive at all, etc.  Like I said, it's a good game, and can be very fun at times.  But not great.

For a game to be "Great", I think it has to be impressive.  Halo 3 isn't impressive, it is just more of the same, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not great, and DEFINITELY not one of the best games of all time.  I'm sure many would agree with me.

HFG. Well GTA4 is more or less the SAME game of the previous GTA. So what of it? If you like the game then buy it, If not then rent it. I don't think it's going to outdo HALO3 record of 1 day sales total.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 04:39:00 AM »

Don't jump the gun to fast, I'm betting they include PS3 figures as well, I still believe they are waiting on more PS3's in the market for this, not because of development..

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »

it makes no sense to use attach rate of a game to estimate sales so these numbers are worse than even pure speculation...