xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Epic Threatens over Custom Gears of War Figure  (Read 1985 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Epic Threatens over Custom Gears of War Figure
« on: March 08, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | March 8 15:42 EST | News Category: Xbox360

It shouldn't always be Sony making stupid PR mistakes ... today the award goes to Epic Games for sending a 'cease and desist' letter to Emilio Lopez for creating a nice little Gears of War Munny as Christmas present for his cousin. Note that only one was made, and it has never been offered for sale or made any profit of it. All the logos etc that were used on the box were taken from the fan site pack Epic gave out. Even if they maybe have a valid legal standpoint it's just 'not done' to bug your fans like this if you ask me, certainly not after hyping the game like they did with fan packs and what not.

Read More: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eightcell/emilio.html
News-Source: forums.somethingawful.com (thanks to Shadowman for the link)

coozco

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »

wow...

MickRaider

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »

Well this is the first time I've ever seen something from somethingawful used as a news link...

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »

Pathetic.

Epic, you embarrass yourself. I hope you know that.

ShadowmanX

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »

Well I thought it was interesting since its Epic doing something rather wrong. (Hence why I sent it in)
Sure there is protecting intellectual property but they could have easily sent a message to him to ask if he would do more of these and why. Jumping head first with legal action seems a bit harsh.

Gman22

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »

That guy will get a lot of spam now.

ifucedurmom

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »

wow epic games is a money fiend, he did even sell nor want to sell the doll, he was just giving it away as a present epic games have embarrassed themselves and sunk to a new low in my book

ErichMoraga

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »

What has this world come to?  Nevermind the free pirated copy of GOW included with every Munny doll ... j/k :-P

-Erich

skEwb

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »

Just goes to show selling 4 million copies of their game and making huge profits off it is not enough. This is why people turn to piracy, because of greedy corporate bastards. Fuck you EPIC fuck you in the ass with a metal spiked dildo, you greedy fucks.

antiav

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »

I don't understand why people are saying this is a new low, I've been a fan of Epic since UT99 and this is the worst press they've ever had, and I only heard it here so far.

ifucedurmom

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(antiav @ Mar 8 2007, 10:09 PM) View Post

I don't understand why people are saying this is a new low, I've been a fan of Epic since UT99 and this is the worst press they've ever had, and I only heard it here so far.

why i say its a new low is because its a new low even lower then wut sony does with there extreme uptight behavior toward homebrew...i dont see how just makeing one doll for ur cousin for chirstimas is illegal...i thought that was a nice gesture

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »

This is completely ridiculous!  Seriously Epic, pull the pine cone out of your anus!  Someone who is a fan of your product does you some free advertising by making a gift for his cousin while making no profit for himself or anyone else and you go all lawsuit happy.  Way to go a-holes.  Frickin lawsuits will be the end of the frickin US, soon it will be where you can't walk in a certain way without violating a copyright law because your stride was 3.4 feet and has been copyrighted by some money hungry jackoff.

valkirie

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/muhaha.gif) that is just plain wrong. It seems to me that Epic lost a major opportunity to make money out of this. They should have rewarded the guy's creativity by granting him a portion of the proceeding from the licensing of the doll. Money all around and everyone is happy. Now this guy can make Epic's life miserable if they ever try to market something like that. He can then issue a cease and desist order to them. Poetic Justice.

Navillos

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »

oh my god this is ridiculous, id tell EPIC they can stick their fist up their ass. he only made it for personal use and not for profit. they cant get him from any legal standpoint

TheIrishLad

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »

huh.gif It just doesn't make sense to me why Epic would go after an OBVIOUS fan like that?  They definitely have some chode in their ass.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5