xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oxm Reviews Full Auto According 2 Gamerankings.com  (Read 1047 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Oxm Reviews Full Auto According 2 Gamerankings.com
« on: February 06, 2006, 10:25:00 AM »

yeah I saw that in the OXM I got in Saturday's mail  sad.gif

I can see where they're coming from because I saw a lot of their negative comments right in the demo.

I don't have the mag with me but from what I remember their reasons were:

-not even an attempt at a background story, no time or location setting, at least they could have gone with the typical "post apocalyptic" thing.

-very dull and repetitive, no configurations of the cars what so ever, most of the cars drive the same and most of the guns shoot the same

-no points for anything like causing damage, the only motivation to cause damage is... there isn't any.

-no interesting game modes, the winner is he who comes in first place be it by driving or shooting, that's it, that's the whole game.

They did say that the graphics were good and that the reverse time feature was interesting but useless once you were halfway good at the game.

revs

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 10:42:00 AM »

Its a pity they put all that work into the game, and then release it, and it sucks. They should have made it more like Carmageddon

dabigdilla

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:21:00 AM »

Ouch...
Did they say anything about multiplayer?

deakphreak

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »

yea that is pretty harsh but those points made sure make it sound like a failure.  I loved the demo but it only lasts for so long.  This one is going to be a rental for me.

miggidy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 12:26:00 PM »

I thought the demo was fun, but from what Twisted posted you can see that there wasn't much difference between the demo and the finished product.

In short, the game might be fun (depends on who you ask to begin with) for the first few minutes,
but that's about it....

Too bad if you ask me, this is one of those games that a lot of people were looking forward to pop.gif

Hey Twisted, any playable X360 demos in the latest disk?

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »

well thats a damn shame.  i was really impressed by the demo and saw a lot of potential.  i dont know why they would knock it for not having a backstory, what racing game does?  also i thought the point to the destruction was to refill your boost and rewind time functions.  ill probably still rent it just to get a feel for it.

crobar

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 12:30:00 PM »

i think very soon your going to see game devs realese game concept demos...
that way they dont waste  $$$$$$$$$$ bring  the public games they dont care for...

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(miggidy @ Feb 6 2006, 02:33 PM) View Post

Hey Twisted, any playable X360 demos in the latest disk?

yeah Quake 4 and Condemned

So far it's been
Jan - Kameo & Full Auto
Feb - COD2 & FFXI
Mar - Quake 4 & Condemned

here's hoping next month's is something new and not yet available.

Tonight I'll grab the mag and get some more accurate info on what they said if you people are interested. pop.gif

As for Full Auto being like Carmageddon... I'd much rather have a modern version of Interstate '76 That was one of the coolest car combat games, totally customizable too, like an automotive FPS  biggrin.gif

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »

wow interstate 76 havent played that in forever, best game ever

dr. radar missles were so excellent

prankfurter

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »

interstate 76 was awesome... interstate 82 not so much....

but i had high hopes for this game.... hopefully other reviews are better but i doubt it... will be a rental

BanjoK

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 05:34:00 PM »

Full Auto looked like it had huge potential. It is a pity that it did badly. Also lostboyz has a signature that is too large. I am warning him before any moderator sees it.

Altima NEO

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »

sucks... so are there any games to look forward to?

crobar

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »

nope...this is it, geo wars  is all we get...
give it some time good games are on the way oblivion soon and the "new" burnout title

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »

Full Auto
Full of something...

Once you scrape a little of the shiny next-gen paint off Sega's new car-combat game Full Auto, you get a clear glimpse of the no-frills, standard factory model vehicle that lies underneath. For all of Full Auto's slick chrome exterior, which looked so promising earlier in the game's development, it's clear that the time invested under its hood wasn't spent on really fleshing out the game beyond its initial concept. The thrill of blowing up enemies while tearing around a track only lasts as long as it takes to learn Full Auto's core mechanics: Unwreck, turbo, shoot, and steer. In other words, the thrill is gone pretty quickly.

Describing the game as "Burnout with guns" is misleading. Burnout is innovative and addictive, and it evolves the arcade driving experience with features like Crash Mode and Revenge during races. Full Auto, unfortunately, never moves past its basic drive-fast-shoot-everything concept. It's more like Need For Speed II with guns, really. The 17 various game types found within Career Mode don't break up the one-note gameplay much,  either. They just define what kind of track you race on - point-to-point or circuit with minor variations - or who you're racing against.

Maybe if the weapons were more creative, or if you could choose any of them to mount on any hard point on your car, the gameplay would be more varied and satisfying. Instead, you choose from a limited number of weapon loadouts, resulting in every race in every mode feeling incredibly similar, combat-wise. Go as fas as you can or blow up as many opponents as possible - it really doesn't matter because there are no power-ups and no particularly clever game types, and Full Auto doesn't force you to employ much strategy other that keeping the gas and trigger fully depressed. At least if you play it online you can talk a little trash, but even the cookie-cutter multiplayer mode doesn't go out of its way to redeem the gameplay.

The addition of the Unwreck feature (one button press lets you rewind time a la Prince of Persia, giving you a do-over on badly navigated turns or another chance to avoid clumsily rolling over a mine) make a good attempt at differentiating the game from the racking pack. But in the face of the crushing dullness of everything else in the game, it has little chance to shine. Neither does the way the game lets you blast everything in the environment to smithereens - and what's not beautiful about that? - but sadly, there's little consequence or payoff for doing so other than spectacular eye candy and the boost to your nitro and Unwreck meters. Despite creating easy-to-avoid obstacles, it doesn't add much. Where's the depth?

Another incredibly strange thing about Full Auto is that there doesn't appear to be any story. We're not stupid. We know this is an arcade racer with guns, not War and Peace, but we'd like an explanation as to why our little street racing club has resorted to such extreme violence. The lack of backstory isn't a huge ding against Full Auto, but in a game that works entirely on a visceral, cosmetic level, it's just another void left gaping.

If you can find a video store that'll let you rent this game for exactly one hour, do it. That's about how long it'll take you to realize that Full Auto is pretty disappointing for an Xbox 360 game and for car combat games in general. Cars with guns should equal good times, but Full Auto's skin-deep thrills last only as long as it takes for a quick test drive.

THE VERDICT
+ They nailed the cool Unwreck feature.
- Limited weapon options.
- No story or plot, not even a thin one.
? What happened to good old-fashioned post-apocalyptic wastelands as a background story?

tonloc79

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »

Im extremely sadenned by this, gonna go cry now. I wish i knew this yesterday, i met (At a Super Bowl party)and was hanging out with a guy who worked for Sega and worked on both Condemned and Full Auto(His name was in the Condemned manual), i would of called him out on it!
Pages: [1] 2