xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: File Character Limit Set To 37?  (Read 294 times)

qutius

• Archived User
File Character Limit Set To 37?
« on: December 10, 2003, 10:46:00 PM »

Hey all,

First off, I've very new to the modded Xbox scene, but I'm really excited to get everything set up and running correctly. The first thing I did was got Xbox media center uploaded and started moving some .flac files over as to play them over the home theater via the Xbox (so long cds!).

I have found a rather annoying file name character limitation that I'm hoping might get fixed later on down the road. It seems file names are limited to 37 characters (with spaces), and if they are any longer, they will NOT FTP over to the Xbox.

For example, if I have a file called um2003-11-16d1t07 - Tribute to the Spinal Shaft, the file won't FTP over. If I cut it down to this: um2003-11-16d1t07 - Tribute to the Sp it will upload with no problems. I have over 60GB of music with a similar file naming scheme, so it would be very much a hassle having to rename all the extra long namesÂ…

Does anyone know if this will be 'fixed', or is this just the way it is?

Thanks for any help!

NizZ8

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 09:51:00 PM »

Then MP3-FatX is the perfect tool for you!!!

http://www.gueux.net/team/mp3fatx/

qutius

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 11:18:00 PM »

Thanks - I'm checking that little program out now

[edit] So far it seems this program is pretty buggy, but I'll see if it can't help me out...I'd still like to hear if the file name character limiation will be increased or to hear why the limit is there.[/edit]

This post has been edited by qutius: Dec 11 2003, 08:04 AM

jmarshall

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 11:43:00 AM »

It's a limitation of the XBox filesystem.  There is no way around this, unless you want to run a different OS on your XBox, such as Linux.

qutius

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 04:33:00 PM »

QUOTE (jmarshall @ Dec 11 2003, 08:32 PM)
It's a limitation of the XBox filesystem.  There is no way around this, unless you want to run a different OS on your XBox, such as Linux.

Dammit, I was afriad of that...

Thanks for the info!