xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone Pickup Farcry: Predator Today?  (Read 1063 times)

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
Anyone Pickup Farcry: Predator Today?
« on: March 28, 2006, 10:25:00 AM »

The game shipped yesterday, so I'd expect people to begin picking it up today.  I was hoping someone could give me a quick mini-review.   What I'm interested in most however, is the vertical sync.  Every other Ubisoft title on the 360 has displayed some nasty screen tearing, as did FarCry on the PC with v-sync turned off.   I have this game on pre-order, but I'm not sure I'm going to pick it up.   The v-sync (or lack thereof) will be my decided factor.

Anyone?

BigPerm

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »

I never tried Far Cry for XBOX, is it similar to Halo 2? Not that they compare in quality, but as far as fast paced FPS and online excitement.  COD2 online is more sniping and sneaking and I haven't tried GRAW online yet because I really want to get good at the controls first.  Are the weapon sets similar to Halo and how about the matchmaking?

I'm not familar with the screen tearing you guys are reffering to, but graphics aside, how's the overall gameplay?

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 05:30:00 AM »

Why do people reply when they don't even know what the game is about?

I'm in Australia, picking it up tomorrow (tomorrow starts in 40 mins), the 30th.

Pre-ordered it and am looking foward to it. Loved the first one, the multiplayer was great fun and the map editor, wow, talk about replayability. The graphics were good for the box, but with the 360, i cant wait!  love.gif

Including the original with predator is a great idea, really get 2 games in 1, which is awesome. My friends never got into the first one much, but i loved it. This is gonna be my GOTY (i've had the 360 for 6 days tongue.gif), unless i get COD2, the demo rocked my socks!

I'll report back this time tomorrow with a bit of a review if anyones interested. And no, sorry, i have no idea about this vsync, dunno what it is tongue.gif

Far cry looks so good to me bcos pd0 didn't live up to my expectations, too try hard futurey and tacky.

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »

I can't seem to get an answer on the screen tearing issue.  I think I'm going to pick this one up anyways. I never played the original FarCry, so it will be a good experience for me either way.

Just incase anyone interested didn't know, the predator content is LOCKED on this disc until you beat the original insticts campaign.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 11:57:00 AM »

i was thinking of getting it but after hearing the content was locked it kinda turned me away. ive totaly played out the pc version on max settings on everything.  dont wanna run thru it all again.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Mar 29 2006, 08:04 PM) View Post

i was thinking of getting it but after hearing the content was locked it kinda turned me away. ive totaly played out the pc version on max settings on everything.  dont wanna run thru it all again.

then why dont u get it for the original campaign then?

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 01:02:00 PM »

huh? i have already played thru the origonal campaign like 3 times on the pc, dont know if i can do it again

Master X

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »

That is the stupidest idea ever. You need to beat the POS version to get to the next gen version?

leo5111

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »

all i have played so far is like 5 levels of the xbox version so far but the graphics do look considerably cleaner&sharper"graphics im baseing this off the xbox  levels as thats all ive played so far" then the xbox version the enemys to me at least seemed to be smarter then the xbox version all and all im happy with it pop.gif

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »

so both chapters are completly new to us PC-ers??! SHWEET!!!  better look good =)  may rent it first

corkinator

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 03:32:00 AM »

It does look 'good', but not great.

I don't like Yahoo's quote though, because it's a bit of a disappointment to be in hi-def when the textures are the current gen, blurry crap.

Probably one of the more disappointing games/ports on the 360.

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 07:10:00 AM »

Well, I took the plunge and purchased it yesterday.  Here's a quick minireview of only the instincts section.  I've yet to unlock the predator content. This is the first time I've played FarCry on any system.

Graphics:  Well, it's a port. As long as you realize this before you purchase the game, then you will be happy with the graphics.   It has the best water we've ever seen in a game, and the lighting and shadows are real nice as they dance across your gun.  The draw distance is far, and occasionally a few parts have the same breathtaking effect that oblivion does in the vast expanses.  The models are really blocky though... I don't think they redid any of the characters.  Also the textures are fairly low quality.  Resolution is ok, but specular and bump maps are absent.

Sound:  This game has damn good sound effects.  The ambient jungle sounds really bring it to life.  Sounds amazing in surround.

Gameplay:  It's very hard to aim.  Even though there is a sensitivity adjustment, I just can't seem to get it right.  It's going to take some getting used to.  Besides that, the character movement is good and I'm definatly enjoying the experience.  If you haven't ever played FarCry, I'd recommend snagging this one.

Multiplayer:  Haven't tried it yet.

Oh, so far there has been NO screen tearing.  The framerate is outstanding as well.  Ubi finally got one right.

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 07:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(lowendfrequency @ Mar 30 2006, 09:17 AM) View Post

It's very hard to aim.  Even though there is a sensitivity adjustment, I just can't seem to get it right.  It's going to take some getting used to.

You are not the only one. The free look in this gamer is very bad compared to 99% of first person perspective games. It goes from slow to very fast and there to be no in between.

I played some Halo 2, PDZ, Condemned and some other first person perspective games to compare and they all control 100% better than this game.

Master X

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 09:25:00 AM »

LOL Check out one of the achievements.

Gamer Nerd

Finish the Instincts Story and the Evolution Story at all difficulty levels

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 04:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(flashfreak @ Mar 30 2006, 05:17 PM) View Post

Hmm, dunno whether i want it anymore tongue.gif But from the multiplayer, it looked good.

If you said even a tiny bit more, i would've changed my pre-order to graw, but will still get far cry. If it sucks, i'll take it back for EB's 7 day gaurentee.

EB does not let you return games once they have been opened except for the same game.

If I could I would go get my $$$ back.

EDIT: I just saw you are in the land down under. In the US you can't return the games you buy :-(
Pages: [1] 2