xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What's The Deal With Enchated Arms?  (Read 1022 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
What's The Deal With Enchated Arms?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Jun 16 2006, 10:02 AM) View Post

there is a trailer on XBLM??!

yeah it was one of the E3 videos... There's been a Japanese one available in that marketplace for quite some time now but the game makes a lot more sense in english.

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 09:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Jun 17 2006, 01:32 AM) View Post

so you'd like to say final fantasy 10 isn't an rpg? its not "turn based" so to speak as turns don't alternate. your characters stats effect the turns and its possible to get 7 or 8 turns before your oppenent moves if the stats work out that way. same holds true for the Suikoden series. like others mentioned, KOTOR is an RPG without doubt, if you can't see that then you need to recondsider your definition of an RPG.

Never played the Suikoden series, but FFX and all the other recent FF's still use a turn based system.  Your stipulation seems to be that the turn has to be "I go, game goes, I go, game goes".  In FF, you have a speed stat which determines how fast your turn bar fills up, and when it's filled... it's your turn.  Still 100% turn based.  The important part is that the stategy concept of the old turn based games is still there, and the battle still plays out as chess.  

KOTOR is NOT turn based, it is probability based, like a game of dice and for me that just doesn't cut it.  I never said it wasn't a good game nor did I dismiss the fact that it's a fantasy game in which the role of a character is played... but simply fulfilling those requirements doesn't constitute an RPG in my eyes. Perhaps it does for you, and that's fine... but it does not mean I need to reconsider my definition of an RPG.  I'm not going to change my opinion simply because you don't like it.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 08:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(lowendfrequency @ Jun 18 2006, 11:44 AM) View Post

Never played the Suikoden series

get a copy of suikoden 1 + 2, IMO those two are MUCH better then any of the ps2 suikoden games to come out. they are some of the best rpg's i've ever seen.

and your argument about ffX being turn based doesn't hold true, i have heard a name for it and its an evolved turn based. the turn ratio is NOT 1:1, your speed vs opponent speed can cause the turn ratio to be 5:1 or better, its effects more then turn order. (actually, ff7 was the same way now that i think about it) the older pre ff7 final fantasy games where true turn based where the speed effected the order, but it kept the 1:1 turn ratio your talking about.

Rubix42

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 06:46:00 AM »

Just to add real quick.

Both FF games and the KOTOR series is turn based combat.  The difference is that KOTOR is real time, and FF goes to the battle map and lines up the players vs. the enemies.  

KOTOR's damage is dice rolled, however FF has a hit percentage system to determine damage, and they work out similarly (sp?)

So argue and debate all you want, but both series of games have some basic commonalities that make them both RPG's.  Anyone who says otherwise is just being obtuse.

m00

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 07:29:00 AM »

Go get the Korean version of it... it has Japanese voice overs but English text/menus smile.gif
Pages: 1 [2]