xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Changed My Mind. Crap.  (Read 721 times)

mechazawa

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2006, 11:15:00 PM »

Carlito is a bitch!!haha
and has anyone noticed how powerfull and how long the duration on the manican is. Its one of my favorite weapons.........one hit kill!!!!

o The Drizzle o

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2006, 11:52:00 PM »

my strategy for cletus is to get like 3-4 pistols and some health. run in and trigger the cutscene, then run out side and when you are looking at the doors from outside the store, have the right one open and stand behind the left, but alittle away from the door. when i did it, its like cletus didnt even acknowledge me, he just walked back and forth behind the counter. when he got into site, i would shoot him, he would pause, then just keep walking. quite easy

marsh9man

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2006, 08:12:00 PM »

I agree with most every complaint made about this game and have experienced the very same frustrations......that being said, I still love it and reading this thread has inspired me to go play it right now....I really want to get those a@@holes in the hummer....they have hosed me for the last time!

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2006, 07:30:00 AM »

Wow, you guys bitch too much. This game is a little frustrating and not that hard. I beat the guys in the hummer with no problem. I was running through the park and they hit me, so I got up and headshot the gunner with my pistol, then walked up to the driver and passenger and executed them (and didn't read this thread or anything about doing that).

And for the OP, wtf do you mean ghetto rig shit? What you think you can walk right up to a boss and fight him, bosses are supposed to be stronger than you are, so duh, your going to half to figure out a way to get more hits on them than they get on you  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

EDIT: The only one I can even agree on is the survivors, they are complete idiots ffs. They act as if they want to die. Although I haven't gotten the book spoken of yet, but hopefully that helps.

This post has been edited by cerealkillajme: Aug 25 2006, 02:33 PM

jimjom

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2006, 09:30:00 AM »

yeah, the survivors are retarded sometimes. Gotta arm them. I suggest katana's or swing style weapons. The katana seems to be a great weapon for them though. If they get in a little bit of a crowded situation, they just break away for a sec and cut them in half. Weapons last A LOT longer if not forever with teh fools.

foaley77

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2006, 08:12:00 PM »

When you are talking to people or talking on the phone is there a way u can hear them as its very hard to see the sub text on my TV

Boiker

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2006, 03:10:00 PM »

I know I might get flamed for this, but please don't.

I may have to start the game again, but I'm not sure if I have enough time to do the cases or not. At the moment im stuck in a place where I can kill the machete guy in the hardware store, the gun shop dude, or save the professor, beat carlito (again) and then fight the supermarket man. Which one. Either way theyre all pretty difficult, though carlito is easiset by far. But the speed at which the others aim is more like something from CSS, gimme a mouse and keyboard and I'll be fine, but a pad that moves so goddam slow is just pissing me off  mad.gif

Tonight I was saving the professor, I did the carlito and brad thing no problem. I'm then sent to get medicine with not much time so I didn't save it. BIG MISTAKE  unsure.gif. I mean, I didn't save through fear of not getting there on time, as through the game you really have no idea if you're doing things slowly or not. I thought, what if I'd taken too long to sort out carlito? So i took a chance as you only get one save, which leads me on to my BIG question...

What if you save at the wrong time and you don't get to the mission on time and fail? And it's physically impossible to then get there and do the mission, what then? Do you start again from the beginning?

That's why I didn't save. But then I got thrown into another boss fight in the supermarket and consequently died because of the speed at which he fires that gun. He shoots me down, I get up, he shoots me down, I get up, he shoots me down and I die.  blink.gif Over an hour down the chute.

Maybe I should start again, I just dont know if I can do this now on the time scale i have. Should I save after I have resued the professor? I think I'll give it a go next time I save him, I really have no choice now.

MrOffbeat

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2006, 01:50:00 AM »

About the convicts..

I never have heard anyone to grab a scateboard.. They cannot catch you on your scateboard, this way you are fast enough to reach the benches and stand behind it. Then shoot the @ssh0le's

jabroniekilla

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2006, 02:54:00 PM »

Even if you die or run out of time and have to start over, that is not a waste of time because you are constantly gaining PP for killing zombies.  when you start over, you PP stays and so does you level status.  it sux to do the same stuff over and over but it gets easier and easier.

griffin XXI

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2006, 07:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(Boiker @ Sep 13 2006, 04:17 PM) View Post

I know I might get flamed for this, but please don't.

I may have to start the game again, but I'm not sure if I have enough time to do the cases or not. At the moment im stuck in a place where I can kill the machete guy in the hardware store, the gun shop dude, or save the professor, beat carlito (again) and then fight the supermarket man. Which one. Either way theyre all pretty difficult, though carlito is easiset by far. But the speed at which the others aim is more like something from CSS, gimme a mouse and keyboard and I'll be fine, but a pad that moves so goddam slow is just pissing me off  mad.gif

Tonight I was saving the professor, I did the carlito and brad thing no problem. I'm then sent to get medicine with not much time so I didn't save it. BIG MISTAKE  unsure.gif. I mean, I didn't save through fear of not getting there on time, as through the game you really have no idea if you're doing things slowly or not. I thought, what if I'd taken too long to sort out carlito? So i took a chance as you only get one save, which leads me on to my BIG question...

What if you save at the wrong time and you don't get to the mission on time and fail? And it's physically impossible to then get there and do the mission, what then? Do you start again from the beginning?

That's why I didn't save. But then I got thrown into another boss fight in the supermarket and consequently died because of the speed at which he fires that gun. He shoots me down, I get up, he shoots me down, I get up, he shoots me down and I die.  blink.gif Over an hour down the chute.

Maybe I should start again, I just dont know if I can do this now on the time scale i have. Should I save after I have resued the professor? I think I'll give it a go next time I save him, I really have no choice now.

I got into the exact same predicament as you. My save is right before the 2nd Carilto fight. After beating Carlito and racing to the supermarket and that boss fight(beat him), I don't have enough to get the medicine back and the Truth has Vanished. After trying many times, I've found that my save doesn't allow enough time, even while i got my times down through the many times I've tried. This really sucks, as there is no way I'm starting the game all over. Who cares if you get to keep all the power ups. There's no progression, and I feel the game getting stale. So there it is. For me, I'm trading this in for SR or Lego Star Wars, with the memory of DR, what could have been.

shodanjr_gr

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2006, 09:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(Hopeful @ Aug 14 2006, 07:15 AM) View Post

A ) At the very beginning of the game (and in the demo) you will have a little SPACE to move around in. Just enough space to pick off hordes and BARELY avoid getting attacked IF you're skilled, and it's fun. All that space disappears about 30 minutes in, and you have no room to attack. It would remain playable IF swarms were slow enough so you only get attacked when you're off your game. However the zombies are literally, mathematically, not slow enough for frank to swing at in such close quarters. During the attack, even distant zombies will reach you. You leap right into the middle of them, and you do NOT knock down a wide enough radius to compensate. (Even with the sledge hammer. With the Kitana, you don't even have a sweeping attack so you can only cut through a line of enemies.)

You are joking right? You can literally HACK you way through 50 zombies by using a combat knife and mash on the X button. When a zombie tries to reach for you just turn towards it and hack away. It goes the same way for most melee weapons (heck its far easier with katanas, chain saws and hammers). Heck, even the Psychopaths are RIDICILOUSLY easy to take care of this way, or by taking pot shots of them with guns, or by plain running by them.

And the jump kick is your friend when you wana go through a small group of zombies...

At the moment i can traverse towards any place in the game without almost any killing at all...

B ) But, making matters worse, during rescues you NEED to take down every single zombie in these crowded swarms, because rescuees will NOT dodge their way through even the THINNEST swarm. They will run 15 feet backwards just so they can get attacked. Literally every time, they run up to any remotely nearby zombie that's still standing, get themself grabbed, and yell "Help me Frank!". You will see. I'm not exaggerating.

I agree on this one. The rescuee AI is lackluster...

C ) Can't believe the boss battles. They are unplayable unless you love to wittle your way out of long, stressful sessions of split-second dodging. There's no game to these battles either. There are no cues or level interactions built in. No safety zones, helpful opportunities or fight patterns narrated in. It's mainly comprised of stress. You just constantly dodge sharpshooters with superhuman aim, speed, and abilities.  It takes you at least 1.5 seconds to adjust your aim. You will be shot twice by then. (Which knocks you down) Your crosshairs usually start off target and they move slowly. The bosses weren't designed to compensate for this and they just keep firing at you really fast, taking only half second pauses. Forget healing yourself. By the time you lift a yogurt to your lips, said lips are lieing on the ground next to your scrotum. Forget getting close enough to hit the enemy with a blunt object. If you run out of ammo or don't have a gun, ya screwed. Sometimes they don't even give you one beforehand, and believe me a gun is the only way. (Except the grocery store owner. You can hide around the corner and pummel him with a lead pipe. You will laugh your ass off on that part. It's worth renting just for that.)

Most bosses do not need a ranged weapon to take care of. Katanas and Chainsaws make sort work of them..

Also healing is a mater of cover. It only takes like 2 seconds to gulp down an OJ...its not that hard to do it in almost any boss fight.

All in all bosses are a matter of strategy. They are old school pattern-based enemies, in shiny new gen visuals. They are challenging, heck they can be frustrating, but they are fun.

D ) Dickery! I thought this was inaccessable enough already. On top of all that, they even add extra sharp heat seeking deathrays. The park in the middle of the mall, which you use frequently, in addition to being scabbed with zombies... Has 3 convicts rolling around in a hummer for no reason. Its gunner can rapidly kill you from all the way accross the park, while you're trying to dodge zombies. If you manage to get close to it by barely dodging the continuous stream of accurate bullets, the guy with the baseball bat takes you out. If you try to run you will be quickly sharpshot, run over, and smacked until you die. I don't even know if you can kill them. (Or how you'd get a chance to aim at them.)

You aim at them when they get stuck in scenery (it happens ALL the time). You can easily avoid them after the first time you kill them, because they seem to busy themselves with the zombies and almost ignore you unless you get close.

E ) Every time you're busting your ass, ghetto-rigging ways to get past the overly grab-saavy hordes, there's a constant ringing from the tranciever. If you answer it you can not fight or jump but the zombies are still in full-on action. You're pretty much constantly either contending with beeping or letting crap kill you. You're blackmailed by the beeping. tongue.gif  

You can answer the call then drop it at any time by pressing the dpad again. Otis will call back in a few seconds so you can answer it when you have the time.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2006, 09:01:00 AM »

I recently picked up this and I was keeping an open mind when I got the game because all the mixed reviews it got from players and magazines alike. The demo was just so-so for me, I'm not really big on just running around doing random stuff, games rarely holds my attention past 5 minutes if I don't have a purpose or goal I'm trying to achieve.

I heard a lot of people complain about the time issues and the save game issues... My take on this

1. Timing: I LOVE the way the time works, it's the first game I've ever played where the world keeps revolving with or without your input, I think it's an AWESOME breath of fresh air to have a game where you have to manage your time to keep from missing things.

2. Save points instead of Save anywhere: The first time I trekked across a zombie infested mall for 15 minutes before entering a boss fight and loosing  I cursed up and down about not being able to save whenever I wanted. However I soon changed my opinion that in combination with the time and the fact that the game is really a Survival horror, being able to save anywhere you would really loose out on the "survival" aspect of the game. Even still it could use a few more save points, the fact that there is no rest room in the food court, or anywhere near it is just plain stupid.

3. One save Slot: I don't think this does the game any favors. For the most part I think it would be the same game if you could have multiple saves. If they REALLY felt a need to limit the save slots they could have implemented a difficulty system like Hitman where on the hardest you can only save between levels but on the easiest you get unlimited saves (mid difficulty levels get 5, 3, and 1 save respectively)

4.Boss Battles: I was owned pretty bad at the beginning of my first play through, But as I got the hang of the game, and my level increased I found that each boss DOES have a built in trick to them that once you know makes taking them out a breeze. For instance the convicts have a poor turning radius and crash a lot, lure them into crashing into a tree then while they're dazed attach them. Shooting works best but you can take them out with your bare hands if you're fast enough. Also for shooting, change the option to aim by camera position instead of character position. Once you do that it will reduce your aiming time down to a fraction of what it was before, allowing you to make quick shots without re-orienting yourself. IMO that's how it should have been defaulted but who knows maybe others like the way it is.

5. Survivors: These can be hit or miss. I find the ability to place markers a saving grace, like the boss battles there's a trick to it. Just hitting Y the survivor will try to interpret where you're going and it does a poor job at it resulting in erratic behavior, placing a marker and they'll go to the marker, you're best bet is to follow them and kill any zombies that get the into trouble. You can give all survivors health boost by handing them food with the B button so if they take a lot of damage fix them up. Beyond that all survivors can either be 1. Carried, 2. pulled by the hand, or 3. Given a weapon. Carrying and holding hands is the best best, I've noticed that while you can't jump or attack while doing these things the zombies aren't as aggressive, so you can take larger risks running through a crowd of them. Also survivors that can carry a weapon have infinite ammo and the weapon never breaks. Often if I'm using a gun if I get down to one or two bullets I'll give it to my survivor because they'll be able to use it with infinite ammo. Sometimes I'll also use my survivors to carry extra weapons for me because I know they wont degrade while they're using it.

Most importantly I think when going for survivors you should always keep a lead pipe and a queen bee, the lead pipe has very direct attacks so you can easily take out zombies close to the survivor without hurting your survivor (like the Katina or chain saw would do). And if stuff gets really bad you can use the queen bee to take out a whole swath of zombies at once.... again you're best bet is to set a marker and follow your survivor there taking out zombies that get in the way. Also if everyone is within 10ft of a door way, even if they're surrounded by zombies and getting eaten for lunch you can enter the door and they'll come with you

Overall I really like this game, I love how your level stays with you when you start new games and I love the massive amounts of re-play ability the game offers with 72 Hour mode, Overtime mode, infinity mode, etc. not to mention all of the hidden stuff. The game is intentionally built so that you can't get everything the first time through and I think that's usually the mark of a good game.

This post has been edited by twistedsymphony: Oct 6 2006, 04:04 PM

PrO...

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2006, 12:40:00 AM »

this game is great except the time span keeps getting in the way of me killing ALL of the zombies.and is it me or does zombism make females horny,i can't count how many times they go for the real "brain" and one zombie chick killed brad by 69ing him.weird. uhh.gif

amb7247

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2006, 10:02:00 AM »

Aaron is a Wuss but I recomment giving Aaron a katana sword. Give the fat guy and Aaron's friend a shotgun. They do a good job at killing zombies and they NEVER run out of ammo.

HamSandwhich

• Archived User
Changed My Mind. Crap.
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(PrO... @ Oct 10 2006, 08:40 AM) View Post

this game is great except the time span keeps getting in the way of me killing ALL of the zombies.and is it me or does zombism make females horny,i can't count how many times they go for the real "brain" and one zombie chick killed brad by 69ing him.weird. uhh.gif

Hahaha Yeh I noticed that, I think it's in the same thing, just after the 69 she sits on his face, made me laugh until I bled.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4