xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Doa4 Still Worth It?  (Read 688 times)

halofun121

• Archived User
Doa4 Still Worth It?
« on: July 22, 2006, 07:04:00 AM »

I just want to know if you guys think this game is still worth it. I expressed an interest in it after playing an Xbox demo of Dead or Alive Ultimate. Or should I just wait for the newer games like Gears of War, or dare I say a Dead or Alive 5? Or should I buy it?

CreziB

• Archived User
Doa4 Still Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 10:51:00 PM »

I was in the same position 1 week ago.  I decided to buy it because friends were wanting to play it and I had liked previous iterations of the game.  I was finally tired of COD2 and traded it in.

There are a ton of unlockable costumes(big deal), and quite a few unlockable characters, including a spartan that looks identical to Master Chief in Halo.  The game looks graphically similar to DOA3.  The levels are by far the most entertaining levels in a fighting game so far.  Most of them provide a seemingly endless amount of terrain to battle across.

The online play is still very active.  You won't have a problem finding a game at anytime of the day...I do mean anytime.  I have limited time to play games, so when I do, I really do.  I unlocked all the characters and costumes in one sitting(I didn't go to sleep that night).  Now, the game is rather boring.  Online fighting can be very difficult and frustrating as many people are complete masters of this game and will destroy anyone who is not.  Oh, story mode is short and the ending videos are pretty much unrelated to anything that makes sense.  Many of them seem to come from ideas after tearing through a dime bag.

It's now 1 week later and I'm ready to sell the game.  I don't recommend waiting for gears of war to come out, but I also don't say that this is a must buy.  Nothing makes someone cuss like a fighting game.
Playing the hell out of it as a rental should give you an understanding if you should buy.

This post has been edited by CreziB: Jul 23 2006, 05:53 AM

Rubix42

• Archived User
Doa4 Still Worth It?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 06:26:00 AM »

I can't believe you are bored with it after a week!  I have had this game since day one on the shelves, and may not play it all the time anymore, but at least once a week I pop it in for an hour or two.  

But of course with the quickness of battles and the skill level of online opponents, I can see how you would want to set it down for a bit.

CattyKid

• Archived User
Doa4 Still Worth It?
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 02:38:00 PM »

I think it's worth it.  First of all... it's a beautiful game IMO.
Secondly, online play is great... if you aren't too good you won't find yourself playing against too many "masters" if you have your settings right.  Some of the videos at the end of the stories are pretty cool, even IF a little offtopic.  They spared no expense making THESE cutscenes (read: Ryu Hayubasa;))

I think it's a pretty good game, but not too deep besides unlockable characters and costumes.  There ARE a lot of environments though.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Doa4 Still Worth It?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 09:54:00 AM »

"Graphcailly similar to DOA3" PAH I think you need to get your eyes fixed. DOA3 while beautiful for an Xbox 1 game is a steaming pile compaired to DOA4. You're probably making the common confusion between art direction and graphical performance.

I think it's one of those games that almost everyone should own... It's got buttery smooth gameplay, almost no lag online (if you connect to someone with a crappy connection it can't be helped but it not very demanding so lag is rare). It's pretty easy to still find people to play with online. some other games, particularly older titles are almost impossible to find people to play against online. I've never had a problem finding people at my skill level on DOA4, even now. Even better is the online system has nearly every option imaginable. Too many games offer online play but give you crap for options... DOA4 builds off of the already awesome online system from DOAU ont he Xbox 1.

One of the better features IMO is the fact that it's one of the few games where you can actually play 4 player locally (on the same machin) by way of a 2 on 2 tag match. The number of Xbox 360 titles where you can do that is sadly lacking.

As for waiting for DOA5... you wont see it for at very least another 2 years. It's not one of those franchises with a new version every year. Team Ninja spreads their efforts out. You'll see DOAX2 (beach volleyball and other games), DOA Code Cronos (beat 'em up like the old side scrollers), and , Ninja Gaiden 2 before you even hear about DOA5 in the works.

If you liked the demo then I think it should be a definite buy, it's the best DOA game ever made without a doubt and one of the few titles that if you enjoy it, will remain a title you'll play for the life of your console.

Reaper527

• Archived User
Doa4 Still Worth It?
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 10:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jul 28 2006, 11:54 AM) View Post

It's got buttery smooth gameplay, almost no lag online (if you connect to someone with a crappy connection it can't be helped but it not very demanding so lag is rare).

is this pre-patch or post-patch? i haven't gone online with DOA4 since before the patch was released back in march, but i remember before that i had TONS of lag all the time, and this is the only game i've had that problem with (frogger lags a little bit, that game lagged alot, prey, pdz,chromehounds, live06, everything else runs great)

KAGE360

• Archived User
Doa4 Still Worth It?
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »

this game is very worth it and i would say the lag is very rare (1 out of every 10 matches if that) and even when it rears its ugly head its usually playable still.  

graphically this game is still one of the most gorgeous games to grace my HDTV.

gameplay is fast and fierce, like any great game DoA4 is easy to learn but hard to master

CattyKid

• Archived User
Doa4 Still Worth It?
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »

A lot of times... if there actually IS lag, which is actually pretty rare... the game will just slow down... not get all jumpy.

Heet

• Archived User
Doa4 Still Worth It?
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »

I cant express how impressed with this game I am.  I HATED DOA3.  It was the worst button smashing peice of shit poor excuse for a fighting game ever.

This one ROX!  Its gameplay even kicks tekken's ass.  Its fast and furious and beautiful to boot.  If you just randomly press buttons you will lose to someone who knows how to play every time.

Best fighter ive EVER played.

zerocool_91

• Archived User
Doa4 Still Worth It?
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »

its pretty fun i guess i have had it since December 31st and i still play it from time to time online.  If anyone wants to play then PM me