xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Doa On August 25th  (Read 1342 times)

LowProfileWurm

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 1 2006, 03:23 PM) View Post

WOW, I can't believe how many of you liked the Mortal Kombat movie.

Even as a fan of the series I thought the movies was lame as hell. Granted, not Uwe Boll lame, but lame none the less.
I think I liked it because it was a grade above Street Fighter: The Movie with Jean Claude God Damn.  That abortion was worse than someone pissing gasoline on me and shooting fireball turds at my face.  And since they were really the first 2 movies that I can remember based on video games... MK always stuck out as "better".  Besides... the techno soundtrack was awesome.

In retrospect, my Game to Cinema Favorites are:
1. Resident Evil
2. Tomb Raider
3. Final Fantasy
4. Mortal Kombat
5...  huh.gif  I'll have to get back to you on that...

Deftech

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »

Loved the first MK movie, saw 5 minutes of the sequel and turned it off.

Tomb Raiders were great, but im a TR whore so thats a given.

Himura

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 04:04:00 PM »

God, saw the trailer months ago, hated it then, still hate it now.  laugh.gif

but about MK, I think I liked it so much was because I was around 8 years old when I first saw it. and as for other video game movies, I just hope that the Halo movie will be good.

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »

Honestly, no one has mentioned Super Mario Brothers?  Lame ass movie, but hey, at least its fun biggrin.gif

IMnotGarBagE

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 09:10:00 AM »

I really enjoyed the Silent Hill movie. Wasn't Pyramid Head in Silent Hill 2? I hated fighting him everywhere i went.

dgrams2003

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 09:19:00 AM »

...but the most import question is:

Will the Story line of DOA (the movie) actually make sense?
The video games always have some wierd plots that make no sense
and I wish this aspect of the games would be improved.

And here is one more vote for MK being the best video game-to movie

I love it! The movie is sooo cool and the music rocks. (even with a lack of blood)

(The second one sucked for multiple reasons)

crobar

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »

Advent children is good but it doesn’t have two fee to stand on unless you have played the game half of the movies appeal is nostalgia.
Spirits within was good it just had that whole living dead thing and that why it got some bad reviews.

silent hill was great and I’ve only played one release on the xbox...and got bored of being trapped in my apartment...
I’m thinking about picking up a ps1 and playing the one the movie was based on though.

Mortal kombat... lol, street fighter...dead or alive....lets just say fighting games don’t have enough story to make a movie maybe a 1 season tv show for kids with low attention spans.

doa is gonna bomb...im surprised its not a strait to tape DVD blue ray hd dvd late night tv

KAGE360

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(metaldevil @ May 1 2006, 06:43 PM) View Post

There are few good videogame movies, but it's no surprise that a videogame movie will suck. At least, it can't be any worse than the stupid ending movies from the DOA games, especially DOA4. Only the "hardcore" fans will tear the movie apart. Lord knows why, but it's just entertainment. Nothing more.

you obviously dont understand japanese humor

QUOTE(crobar @ May 2 2006, 11:36 AM) View Post

Advent children is good but it doesn’t have two fee to stand on unless you have played the game half of the movies appeal is nostalgia.
Spirits within was good it just had that whole living dead thing and that why it got some bad reviews.

silent hill was great and I’ve only played one release on the xbox...and got bored of being trapped in my apartment...
I’m thinking about picking up a ps1 and playing the one the movie was based on though.

Mortal kombat... lol, street fighter...dead or alive....lets just say fighting games don’t have enough story to make a movie maybe a 1 season tv show for kids with low attention spans.

doa is gonna bomb...im surprised its not a strait to tape DVD blue ray hd dvd late night tv

i dont care for the FF series, have never played through FF7 and i still enjoyed advent children, i think it also has an appeal for anime fans (like me)

i dont think the silent hill movie was supposed to be based off of any of the games but instead just barrowed ideas from them (like the cop in the movie wearing what the cop in the first game wore)

while its true that a story isnt the most important aspect in a fighting game (which makes sense) but that doesnt mean that you can not make a movie off of it.  the first MK was great and very true to the game's story while street fighter was a joke for many reasons.  again they have said from the beginning that the DoA movie would have a "charlie's angels" vibe through it, do i agree with this?  no, i much rather have had a more harder edge movie with ninjas vs. a mega-corperation but i will take what i can get as the series has more then just a hard edge theme behind it.  

honestly, i dont think these game movies are given a budget big enough to fully reach what we expect from them and i much rather wait until i watch a movie before passing judgement.

KAGE360

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(metaldevil @ May 2 2006, 12:20 PM) View Post

Believe me, I know 'funny' and those ending movies have nothing to do with it. Everyone's got their own opinion. Not everyone's going to like what you like. You shouldn't feel slighted because I don't like something you like. beerchug.gif

i dont feel anything and i really meant no offense.  its just obvious that some of the endings have a very distinct japanese humor feel to them, some find it amusing while others dont.  to each their own, i was just stating to why some people dont find some movies amusing.

Zionide

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 03:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 1 2006, 10:18 AM) View Post

not to spoil anything buy my favorite part was easily when they first went into the church...

it was just ...  ph34r.gif

I know the part your talking about, it was awesome.  I've never played any of the games, so what was up with those giant guys with black things on their heads.  Seeing as I have never played Silent Hill games, I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen this year, besides United 93.

Joshua Wood

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »

Haha, I was thinking the other day about whether there were any good movies based from games, and couldn't really think of any...

Super Mario Bros... lol. SF2... I agree I thought MK was better than I would have expected...I think partially because the game has a much better story than SF and they stuck to it. Might have to check Silent Hill out but it's got shit reviews... I'd expect it to be bad. Resident Evil wasn't too bad...but could have been a lot better.

FF:SW was great, have yet to see Advent Kids but can't wait for it. Probably the best movies, I'd agree.

DOA as CG would make for a cool movie. I love the opening to DOA:U.

I noticed at the video shop the other day Alone In The Dark...anyone seen this? Would expect it to be bad also...

And lol, has anyone acutally seen House Of the Dead??? I've seen the preview and it looks awful....

Static X

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2006, 09:50:00 PM »

Let us see. Off the top of my head, I can think of some pretty horrible vg -> movie conversions. Of course you have Mortal Kombat 2, Street Fighter, Super Mario Brothers, Alone in the Dark, House of the Dead 1&2, Blood Rayne, Doom certainly wasn't great, and we must not forget the worst of the bunch... Double Dragon, that is sans the super hot Alyssa Milano. Actually, I think Wing Commander beats Double Dragon.

Deftech

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2006, 10:44:00 PM »

Alyssa was in DD? damn Im gonna have to watch that again.

Whos the Boss is on at 3am locally, I try and watch it every night lately(some of you probably never heard of the show). I remember watching it in the mid to late 80's when it was on tv, and ocassionally I sprouted wood while watching the her bebop around. I believe her and I are around the same age so...

love.gif

me thinks I typed 2 much  laugh.gif

update: shes 2 years older than me, Thanks google. shes going to be 35 soon, and to think I liked her when she was 10. where in the fug did 2.5 decades go?!?!?  sad.gif

edit..aww hell nahhhh

w000t! I miss the 80s! look at that!

http://www.imdb.com/...ogallery-mptv-0

Reaper527

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »

about the whole uwe boll thing, hopefully he will figure out what he's doing and make a good movie (especially since he's apparently making a farcry movie)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093051/

he doesn't seem to have much background, it looks like he was doing small scale movies and hasn't done anything big yet. does anyone know if blood rayne or alone in the dark were better then house of the dead? (not necessarily good,but if they showed any sign of improvement) the only reason i try to give him a chance is because it seems like video game companies still seem to be giving him the licenses to make movies.

don't forget that (i can't belive im comparing these two people) peter jackson (lord of the rings, king kong, halo) has made some HORRIBLE movies. go rent dead alive (not dead or alive, just plain old dead alive) and watch in amazement as this movie might actually be worse then house of the dead

---edit---

also, i can't seem to remember house of the dead having 1 actor/actress i had actually heard of, the dungeon siege movie has burt reynolds, at least thats a step in the right direction, if he can learn from some of his idiotic mistakes (no i do not want video game clips thrown into random parts of my movie) and get some good people in his movie he might make something good (keyword is might, he hasn't made anything good yet as far as i know)

KAGE360

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2006, 10:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ May 4 2006, 12:04 PM) View Post

about the whole uwe boll thing, hopefully he will figure out what he's doing and make a good movie (especially since he's apparently making a farcry movie)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093051/

he doesn't seem to have much background, it looks like he was doing small scale movies and hasn't done anything big yet. does anyone know if blood rayne or alone in the dark were better then house of the dead? (not necessarily good,but if they showed any sign of improvement) the only reason i try to give him a chance is because it seems like video game companies still seem to be giving him the licenses to make movies.

don't forget that (i can't belive im comparing these two people) peter jackson (lord of the rings, king kong, halo) has made some HORRIBLE movies. go rent dead alive (not dead or alive, just plain old dead alive) and watch in amazement as this movie might actually be worse then house of the dead

---edit---

also, i can't seem to remember house of the dead having 1 actor/actress i had actually heard of, the dungeon siege movie has burt reynolds, at least thats a step in the right direction, if he can learn from some of his idiotic mistakes (no i do not want video game clips thrown into random parts of my movie) and get some good people in his movie he might make something good (keyword is might, he hasn't made anything good yet as far as i know)

its because he's cheap.  bloodrayne also had some known actors in it and it still flopped.  good actors are nothing without a good director.  i think the guy is a waste of skin and should just quit before he gets lynched by a mob of gamers.   muhaha.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3