xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Doa On August 25th  (Read 1343 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« on: May 01, 2006, 08:15:00 AM »

DOA the Move apparently drops on the 25 of August this year.

Pictures and info:
http://www.canmag.co...hp?moviekey=doa
Trailer:
http://www.femalefir...lease-1393.html

I haven't watched the trailer yet but based on the pictures it looks like a really cheesy action film, like what you'd expect from the mortal kombat or street fighter movies..  dry.gif

Also I wasn't expecting it to be Live Action, I was under the impression that it would be done in CG, guess I was mistaken.

LowProfileWurm

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 08:20:00 AM »

I do believe this DOA will be more of the "Dead on Arrival" variety than "Dead or Alive"...  

This movie is an abomination of cinematic arts.  They should be outlawed.  Embarrassing.  

I also thought DOA would be CG a la the Final Fantasy films (which reminds me, Advent Children is amazing).  Oh well, maybe next time.  Perhaps we'll get an anime at the very least.  

I already have very little respect for Jamie Pressley... and now this trash.  Cinematic abortion... that's all this thing is.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 08:28:00 AM »

The Final Fantasy movies are great... I imported Advent Children weeks ago, it's done very well. I'll probably buy the US version when it hits so I don't have to watch it with horrible subs (I swear I can do better translations then they guy who wrote it and I don't even speak fluent Japanese).

Lots of people are claiming Silent Hill is the best videogame to movie translation yet, it's definitely good, it could have stood on it's own as a decent horror flick without the game inspiration, but honestly FFSW was the best VG to Movie translation done so far.

with video game to movie translations coming up more often and getting better all the time now it's a damn shame the DOA flick is looking to turn out like an uwe boll reject.

LowProfileWurm

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »

I agree that FFAC was well done.  I absolutely love the end fight scene.  The graphics are stunning and the only reason I don't own a copy is my hope that a 720p version comes out on HDDVD/BluRay/WMVHD or something.  FFSW was really good too, but a different kind of good.  I prefer FFAC.

Game movies for me are generally hit or miss.  I either love them (Resident Evil 1) or I hate them (anything Uwe Boll breaths "life" into).  Mortal Kombat 1 was awesome, but MK Annihilation was garbage.  I love the anime forms of SF and SFA.  Perhaps we'll get more CG stuff if FFAC does well over here.

I heard Silent Hill was both awful and great.  It's got great atmosphere and actually instills the pain of the scene on the audience much like Saw did.  But I also heard it was an awful story... so I'll have to see it before I pass judgment.  At least it doesn't look like House of the Dead!

www.huzzahgoods.com has a great T-Shirt about Uwe Boll.  Check it out.

Deftech

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 08:42:00 AM »

trailer has been out for 6 months

I am going to see this cinematic abortion smile.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 08:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(LowProfileWurm @ May 1 2006, 10:42 AM) View Post

...I heard Silent Hill was both awful and great.  It's got great atmosphere and actually instills the pain of the scene on the audience much like Saw did.  But I also heard it was an awful story... so I'll have to see it before I pass judgment.  At least it doesn't look like House of the Dead!...

Silent Hill was good, The acting was great with the exception of the "Church Zombies" (but they were extras so it's forgivable), also the movie was believable, in that even the freaky stuff that happens has a good explanation (there are a few different theories but all of them work well).

As far as the story goes it's pretty much like the first game, I haven't played it in a long time and I never finished it but aside from the ending I can attest that it follows the game's story pretty close save a few things changed to make it believable and not as boring as a video game.

I wouldn't fault it on story because it's pretty much ripped straight from the game, and isn't that really what we're all looking for in these translations?

I look at it this way: the movie was good enough and stand on it's own, and could very easily create a fan base that have never even heard of the game, yet at the same time it's true enough to the game that even die-hard fans will enjoy the movie translation. IMO that's the holy grail of making movies from games right there.

Deftech

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »

I enjoyed Silent Hill.

I was going "wtf" quite a bit but it was entertaining. It got interesting once she got on the elevator and headed down.

I thought the nurse baddies were hot, yeah ive got issues  rolleyes.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »

not to spoil anything buy my favorite part was easily when they first went into the church...

it was just ...  ph34r.gif

KAGE360

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »

i really liked the SH movie.  of course with any video game movie, the fans of the series will get more out of it, but like twisted said, it could have stood on its own.  the movie wasnt so much scary as it was creepy and set a good tone the series is known for.  many people will come to hate the movie with its confusing story line (much like the games) but for those who are familier with this town will feel right at home.   and yes the nurse zombies had nice bodies  jester.gif

as for DoA, back when the movie was first announced they mentioned how they were aiming for a "charlie's angels" feel for the movie and judging from the preview they are right on.  yes, i too would have prefered a more hardcore edge to the movie, but for what its worth, ill watch and love it still.  im sure itigaki is happy with it, it has fighting and beautiful women.  the things that the DoA series is known for.  ill wait until i actually watch the movie before i pass judgement.

i think with any video game moved to movie, as long as you go in with an idea what to expect then you shouldnt be dissapointed, unless it was made by uwe bowel  dry.gif

LowProfileWurm

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »

You're right Kage.  Even though it's hard to do, I have to remind myself to keep expectations low on video game based movies.  I guess that's why I like Resident Evil and hated Apocalypse even though they were the same type movie.  I'll rent DOA, but I'd rather chuck $7.50 on Silent Hill first.

Deftech

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 11:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(LowProfileWurm @ May 1 2006, 01:00 PM) View Post

You're right Kage.  Even though it's hard to do, I have to remind myself to keep expectations low on video game based movies.  I guess that's why I like Resident Evil and hated Apocalypse even though they were the same type movie.  I'll rent DOA, but I'd rather chuck $7.50 on Silent Hill first.

I never expect anything from video game based movies, thats why I enjoy them for the most part. I thought Apocalypse killed the 1st one, maybe because I set my expectations even lower for the sequel, thinking it might be crap? Id never pay full price to go see one. If we miss the showtimes b4 6pm, we wait for another day  laugh.gif I think its 7.75 or 8.00 here now, thats insane. Thats half a cajun prime rib  love.gif

Rubix42

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »

Just to throw my pennies in the pot, I do get pretty bummed out about the lack of any real plot/character development in any game made movie that I have seen.

Doesn't mean that I didn't love watching Advent Children last week, just that from a movie perspective, it lacks any real plot line development, or character development.  My wife has never played FF VII and she left the room because she had no idea what was going on and why these character's were important.

I figure if they are going to make a game movie, even if it is action based, why not at least hire a writer who will give you a story worth watching you know?

KAGE360

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 12:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(LowProfileWurm @ May 1 2006, 01:00 PM) View Post

im not saying to have low expectations but instead realize what your about to watch.  for me, a movie faithful to the game is usually enough unless they mutalate (spelling?) the story, concept, and idea behind the game.  i wanted the hours back in my life after wasting them watching house of the dead but i really loved both resident evil movies.  i thought that they stayed true to the game and was represented on the big screen as good as possible without ripping the exact story from the games.  MK1 was a GREAT movie but the budget for the sequal was obviously low-balled as a lot of unexpected and unwelcome changes were evident through the movie.  again, loved SH where MANY people i know that have seen it, hated it.  

of course like any other movie you need good plot/story, setting, acting, and pacing.  just because a lot of this is already layed out (characters, plot, setting, etc.) that doesnt mean that it has to suck as a movie, they just have to present it in the most accurate possible IMO.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »

WOW, I can't believe how many of you liked the Mortal Kombat movie.

Even as a fan of the series I thought the movies was lame as hell. Granted, not Uwe Boll lame, but lame none the less.

KAGE360

• Archived User
Doa On August 25th
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 1 2006, 03:23 PM) View Post

WOW, I can't believe how many of you liked the Mortal Kombat movie.

Even as a fan of the series I thought the movies was lame as hell. Granted, not Uwe Boll lame, but lame none the less.

the second one took a huge nose dive but the first was great.  it was true to the game's plot, the setting couldnt be more accurate, the actors were great portrayels of the game, good music, and the fighting was awsome for the time.  

to each their own i guess  smile.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3