xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Chromehounds  (Read 1382 times)

sidewinder33

• Archived User
Chromehounds
« on: June 20, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »

I think it looks cool. I loved Mechwarriors, but then again I always have loved the series. Customizable Mechs, online multiplayer, plus the graphics look pretty sweet. Just my opinion, but what does every one else think. (keep in mind I like shooters and if I can shoot from a big robot its just that much cooler, to me.) biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

sp3cialk

• Archived User
Chromehounds
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 03:10:00 PM »

Game has some nice points... I like the fact that you can really customize your mech as well... i mean from a walker to tank tracks... that's sweet... just not absolutly sure on it yet...

Vhayne

• Archived User
Chromehounds
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 05:23:00 PM »

DISSAPOINTED!!!! sad.gif

I just finished watching the 2 latest gameplay videos on gametrailers.com  and while the gameplay looks "ok", and the graphics are beautiful, there are some HUGE problems.  

First, and most importantly, these videos show the player blowing up various tanks, mechs and soldiers.  The problem is there is absolutely NO wreckage at all.  Tank blows up, and disappears instantly!!  WTF?!

Second, buildings.  I remember them saying there was supposed to be destructable buildings.  Ok, well, they are destructable.....but they just take enough damage and collapse among themselves in a very scripted manner.  Even the walls and roof that falls, just poofs instantly, leaving the bare floor of the building left!  Come on, we've seen stuff like this with the PS1!  This is the 360 for god's sake!  You know...physics?  Geez.

Explosions.  Well, the clouds of smoke are pretty, for the 2 seconds they are around.  The explosions are pitiful at best.  Just a fiery looking cloud, then a poof of black smoke that's gone just as fast, leaving behind.....again, absolutely nothing.  

Watch them for yourself and judge.

I had been looking forward to this game since it was announced.  It might still be fun, and I might even pick it up, but geez.  You'd think that they would have focused on these issues alot more, due to the fact that you're going to be blowing stuff up 99% of the time you're playing.

Heet

• Archived User
Chromehounds
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 06:31:00 PM »

I agree this looks way shitty compared to what I saw months ago.  Damn.   grr.gif

Vhayne

• Archived User
Chromehounds
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 02:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(davinator456 @ Jun 21 2006, 03:22 PM) View Post

i posted a topic about this game a little while back, it has mine and other's opinions

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=516772

as the title states, i think it sounds pretty good.

however i remain undecided, a demo or rental will sway me one way or the other.

anyway, i think you are focusing on the wrong parts of the trailer- it looks OK, not phenominal but i think your just nitpicking things here... so the smoke doesn't stay that long...? are you going to just sit in battle and stare at burning carnage and smoke? no your going to blow something up and move outta the way and go onto the next target.  and the buildings not piling up rubble?  yes its somewhat dissapointing, but does this make the game look crappy? no.  its just a mech game, not a building demoliton simulation or a smoky bonfire screensaver/digital fireplace that you can sit and sit and sit- staring at smoke all day.

you are a huge customizable robot- that runs around and blows up other huge customizable robots, sounds pretty cool to me, smoke or no smoke.

I'm not saying the game won't be fun.  I will probably still pick it up, and I'm betting the online portion of it will rock regardless of any graphical issues.  

What I am saying however, is that it just seems to be piss-poor design on their part to have things behave in such a way.  Hell, let the wreckage fade after a little bit, but leave some at least.  I mean, you blow up a tank, and if you look closely, you see a tire (?) in the explosion, then once the smoke clears after 2 seconds, there's nothing left.  No sign there was ever even a battle there.  No holes in the ground, no wreckage, not even freaking scorched ground!  

As far as the smoke goes, personally I think it's a wonderful effect.  But they should have made it last longer, to obstruct visiona bit more.  It would be so cool, to have 2 mechs coming to you, and you fire a barrage of missles at the lead one, and due to all the smoke, you can't tell if he's fallen or not.  Then after a couple of seconds, you see the 2nd one pop through the smoke, and begin barring down upon you.  In otherwords, it could have been used immersively.  But as it is now, it's just eye candy.  

But as you say, the focus on the game is about mech battles, and customization.  As far as the battles are concerened, I'm sure they'll be alot of fun.  And I'm sure there's a ton of stuff you can do to outfit your mech.  So, yeah, roughly the 2 biggest areas of hype should be covered.

davinator456

• Archived User
Chromehounds
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 02:27:00 PM »

yah, there def. could have been more physics and thought put into these things, but i think that all games could have something added that someone will find lacking.  the challenge comes in balancing performance and gameplay while incorporating physics and reality.... but anyway- hopefully the game will be good- we'll just have to see

sidewinder33

• Archived User
Chromehounds
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »

sorry davinator I searched and didn't find you topic, but i totally, agree with you. I think the fiery explosions looks good, and thats all that matters to me I'm not on to stare at a pile of rubble just to see how long its there, I mean I like Halo 2 and the bodies disappear there too, as soon as you respawn. This game to me is a get in "your" mech and shoot shit up. I just really want a mech game for 360.

Also I think I read somewhere that they would be releasing upgrade packs, for your mech a lot on XBL. Hopefully they don't cost to much or I'll go broke biggrin.gif

vestri_matris

• Archived User
Chromehounds
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »

i just rewatched it and yea the mechs dying look seriously gay, they down even fall over or explode or nothing, flames come out for a while then theyre gone

Heet

• Archived User
Chromehounds
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »

I dont know if its just because Ive seen so much more now in terms of graphical advance or what compared to like 6 months ago but this game looks so boring.

The look isnt what I was expecting, the gameplay, the physics, yuck.  I know this is based on pics and video but damn, video is pretty damn convincing.  

Owell, hope the jet game (over G?) isnt craptastic also.  Considering there was no good jet fighting/simulator for xbox (yes there was airforce desert storm, I said GOOD) they should make a good showing for this system.

sidewinder33

• Archived User
Chromehounds
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »

I have other pics but they are from my webcam and aren't really the highest quality, but here they are,pic 1 pic 2 pic 3 pic 4  I wish I had a digital camera, so i could put some better pics of it up. That was right after  finished I added leds a little later after but I don't have any pics.
Really how long has it been since the search has been working. I hate the google search that it does instead of the old search.

Maverick0984

• Archived User
Chromehounds
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 11:34:00 AM »

i really hope this game is nice, if it's a big hyped dissapointment i'll be...dissapointed.

as for the search feature that was mentioned. the google search is crap, i had made a topic about a red xbox with orange LEDs i did a long while back (maybe a year?), and wanted to include it in my signature but never could find it cause of the crap search feature.

tonloc79

• Archived User
Chromehounds
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 06:56:00 PM »

you can download the demo from the Marketplace. Available everywhere but USA and Canad, but you all know how to get around that wink.gif !

sidewinder33

• Archived User
Chromehounds
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 09:05:00 PM »

hahaha nice find 30% as we speak, mate wink.gif

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Chromehounds
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 10:03:00 PM »

im downling it right now too, courtesey of gamertag JapaKnees  tongue.gif

enixn

• Archived User