xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Burnout Revenge  (Read 724 times)

chynk

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« on: June 15, 2006, 08:03:00 PM »

Great game... but I can't seem to PERFECT all the "burning lap" races.

I can get the gold medals but only end up getting 4 stars. If I try to get 5 stars, I end up getting the silver medal.

Any advice/suggestions?

beerchug.gif

metaldevil

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 06:33:00 AM »

For the burning laps, I don't see how you could get Gold and only four stars (Great) because you have to hold boost the entire time to make it to gold. I think you should tell me your secret for getting gold. I could use the help on some of my burning laps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I can get my rating up to Awesome, but coming in for the gold time is tricky for me on some levels. The hardest ones for me (still uncomplete) are the ones in the the levels between Offensive and Maniac. All I have left for those three middle levels are the burning laps.

If you can get gold and a ranking of Great, like you said, I'd suggest doing anything you can that fills your boost bar (e.g., driving into oncoming traffic, jumping ramps, driving into cars, drifting, checking cars into semis, etc.). You should take shortcuts, too. Entrances to the shortcuts are lit on either side by blue markers.

If you want a little extra boost in speed, you should drift jump. One of the guys here posted a link to it a while ago. It shaved off a lot of time from my burning laps (especially Maniac and Assassin).

Link: http://forums.xbox.com/3103895/ShowPost.aspx

Ickypoopy

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 10:15:00 AM »

I have the same problem, when pushing so hard for the time limit it is hard to get the awesome on some of the tracks.  Like the preview lap with that stupid EA racer car - I had to do a 360 right before the finish line to get the meter up to awesome.

Kraptreon

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 10:44:00 AM »

Try driving in the wrong lane?

matt57

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 02:04:00 PM »

Just got to the "Elite" class. i'm working on it lol......the only advice i have is shortcuts, shortcuts, shortcuts. a buddy of mine were alternating trying to beat one or two burning laps and he refused to use the shortcuts. i actually crashed once and still got gold since i hit all the shortcuts. nothing groundbreaking, just make sure to look for them

spyvie

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »

I haven't played the 360 flavor of this game but if it like the previous burnout, the shortcuts and driving at oncoming traffic are key. I loved this game on xbox1 and spent quite a few hours mastering it. I just can't bring myself to burn the dough on this one when I have the old one.

Oh, and not every shortcut is the right one, it may take a few attempts to find the right course.

and driving in the wrong lane only helps if there is oncoming traffic.(and you avoid it).

This post has been edited by spyvie: Jun 17 2006, 02:05 AM

metaldevil

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 10:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(spyvie @ Jun 16 2006, 09:04 PM) *
driving in the wrong lane only helps if there is oncoming traffic.(and you avoid it).
You still get boost even when there's no traffic in the wrong lane. You get more boost if you come close to cars going in either direction (near misses).

I have three burning laps and one preview event before I nail True Elite. Man, I hate White Mountain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

This post has been edited by metaldevil: Jun 17 2006, 05:05 AM

TUUK

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 04:20:00 AM »

I feel your pain man. I've done all the events but I'm going back to perfect each one and complete the challenge sheets. I've also managed to get gold with a great rating giving me 4 stars. It's not funny, is it?

The secret is to simply keep glancing at your rating when you can. Keep up the oncoming, drift, near misses and boost going. Short cuts can be detrimental sometimes. If you use too many that you can't drift in or get oncoming in, it can be hard to get Awesome in those circumstances.

If you want to know how I've done so many so far: Go through the track once or twice without boosting or without trying to get the fastest time. Learn the track layout, look for shortcuts and learn the traffic patterns. When you think you know where you're going and have planned the best route, give it some wellie and go for gold. Even if you crash, keep going. Look at your final time and try to work out if you think you would have made it if you take 5 or 6 seconds off for each crash. If you think you would, then just keep going at it. Each time you crash, pause and restart. It's frustrating, but the feeling of reward when you finally do it, is well worth it. I saved a clip of crossing the line in a burning lap with less than .1 of a second to go. That was a pant threatening moment.

Of course, when you've tried 20 times, you're going to make it this time and crash into a bus 20 feet from the finish line, well, that's a different set of emotions all together. Damn wireless controllers. At least when you threw a wired controller, it's damage distance was limited. Wireless controllers can go for miles. It turns out MS not only hit on an ergonomic champion there but also somewhat of an aerodynamic one... dry.gif

Good luck with the golds. Let us know when you've perfected them all.  biggrin.gif

TUUK

metaldevil

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 01:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(TUUK @ Jun 17 2006, 06:57 AM) *
Damn wireless controllers. At least when you threw a wired controller, it's damage distance was limited. Wireless controllers can go for miles.
I don't know about that. When the game aggravates me to the point of anger, I turn the machine off or I race online. I've replaced previous console controllers due to accidents not rage. I'm not a fan of replacing $50 controllers because I have no self-control.

This post has been edited by metaldevil: Jun 17 2006, 08:05 PM

chynk

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 08:29:00 PM »

I haven't been able to check this thread in a bit because I've been away for the weekend.

I just read through all your inputs and I've decided to give it a shot after work.

My understanding is... get the "Oncoming traffic" bonus, "Near Miss" bonus, "Boost" bonus and take the "right" shortcuts. Got it down? Also going to experiment with drift jumping tongue.gif

DeadBeets

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 01:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(TUUK @ Jun 17 2006, 06:27 AM) View Post

Of course, when you've tried 20 times, you're going to make it this time and crash into a bus 20 feet from the finish line, well, that's a different set of emotions all together. Damn wireless controllers. At least when you threw a wired controller, it's damage distance was limited. Wireless controllers can go for miles. It turns out MS not only hit on an ergonomic champion there but also somewhat of an aerodynamic one... dry.gif

Hilarious.   laugh.gif   At least I'm not tempted to attempt snapping it over my knee, like when I finally beat Jurassic Park for SNES...I know it wasn't the controller's fault that game was shit, but  grr.gif

Sorry for being off-topic.  I'm still playing Burnout 3: Vengeance because I'm broke.

metaldevil

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 10:13:00 AM »

Sweet ass! I just hit True Elite! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Damn, that White Mountain was a real pain. I had less trouble perfecting the Dominator level. The trick that let me come in a hair before the time was up was not checking cars. Before, when I'd driven it, I always checked a few cars just because it was easier to plow through them than to go around them and risk crashing.

Well, I made a conscious effort to not check any cars in hopes that my time would be better, and it paid off after the fifth or sixth try. When I'd checked them before, I was clocking 2:00:xx - 2:01:xx. When I finally came in for the gold, my time was 1:59:86. White knuckle moment. That was the closest I've ever come in.

Moral of the story: if you can get your rating up to Awesome but keep coming in just a little late, make an effort  to not check any cars. I can't stress enough how helpful this tactic is. I hope this helps out you silversmiths. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Note: I was referring to the White Mountain preview event on the Dangerous level, but this will work for any burning lap/preview event.

This post has been edited by metaldevil: Jun 25 2006, 05:22 PM

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 08:48:00 AM »

I pretty much use the methods TUUK described

The burning laps are the only thing that's given me any trouble (so far) all the other events I've been able to get done in 1 or 2 tries with a few exceptions. with burning laps it's almost given that I'll be racing through it at least twice if not 10 times.  laugh.gif

As for hitting traffic. I'll only hit traffic if my boost is empty (traffic check gives you more then near miss) or if I need a slight bump to keep me in AWESOME.

cdub998

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 09:35:00 AM »

One real good tip for burning laps is the shortcuts. You have to take all the shortcuts but remember some of them look like shortcuts but take LONGER so you have to figure that out. I have finished every one of them and I had to learn the good shortcuts.