xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Burnout Revenge  (Read 509 times)

metaldevil

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« on: March 09, 2006, 03:14:00 PM »

What's the deal with this one-sided achievement? About half of the clips in the top 20 have been left there by game testers (you can tell by the dates). The most downloaded clip has over 2000 downloads. The least downloaded clip has around 85 downloads. What the fuck?! How the hell is anyone supposed to have a sporting chance at getting in the top 20?

People keep downloading the clips in the top 20: further decreasing everyone's chance of getting in there. There is no option to view all clips available. As far as I can tell, the only ways you can download a clip is from the top 20, from someone in your friendlist, or if someone recommends you his/her clip (message sent to you). The only way to gain exposure for people to download your clip is to recommend it to your friends or to people you've raced with. It's ultimately up to them if they view the clip.

It seems the only way you'll get in the top 20 is if you're already there. How fucked up is that? blink.gif So, because I didn't upload a clip within the first hour this was released I can never earn this achievement?

At least with PGR3's Online Pro achievement, it's fair because no one has it. Good goin', Criterion. They didn't even have the decency to wipe the boards clean for BR's launch.

P.S. Online's an absolute blast. I got home today and found that I was bumped all the way down to 3300-something in the world rank. I raced and won one ten-race, Road Rage race, and I was skyrocketed up to 88. Beautiful. cool.gif

mathias

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »

burnout is a blast

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 07:02:00 PM »

i cant wait to get this game from gamefly... but recon is keeping me busy, only have 5 single player maps left to finish it.. kinda short game if they dont get any longer.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 06:06:00 AM »

I'm sick of these exclusive achievments... It almost makes me not want to pickup the game...

chillyduk

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 07:44:00 AM »

sorry to tell you thi guys but achievements dont even mean anything sad.gif

lame i know but im sure you will get over it soon

jwin767

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 08:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Mar 10 2006, 12:37 PM) View Post
I'm sick of these exclusive achievments... It almost makes me not want to pickup the game...

Thats a bit over reactive for you symphony...... the achivements dont mean squat to me, i do not see the point in them if you cannt use them in some way anyhoo

BTW im jelous Burnout is not available till next friday here it suck ass

LowProfileWurm

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 08:59:00 AM »

The elite achievements bite my balls too, but I still got Burnout in hopes that they wipe the Top 20 boards in a month to allow others the opportunity to be up there... or at least issue a patch that allows you to view ALL people's clips.  The only achievement that I think sucks beyond all forgiveness is the Quake 4 achievement that requires you to be #1.  I understand "trying to take down the best" but it should be a little bit more thought out than that...

antz1970

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 08:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(jwin767 @ Mar 10 2006, 05:26 PM) View Post

Thats a bit over reactive for you symphony...... the achivements dont mean squat to me, i do not see the point in them if you cannt use them in some way anyhoo

BTW im jelous Burnout is not available till next friday here it suck ass

yeah crap innit , i feel like i have waited ages to get burnout on 360 , but still another week to go sad.gif , i wouldnt mind so much if it wasnt for the fact that criterion are a u.k based company laugh.gif ah well this time next friday i should be playing love.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 09:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(jwin767 @ Mar 10 2006, 10:26 AM) View Post

Gamer Points don't mean squat... Achievments do, particularly if youre like me and obsessive compulsive.

This may sound silly but a good portion of the reason I play video games is not to have fun but to complete a task... it's soothing. I'll play a game (with or without achievments) and complete every last nook and cranny of that game then I'll retire that game and never look at it again. If there is some aspect of the game I can't complete it drives me absolutly nuts.

I really don't care for mutliplayer because for the most part there's no overall acomplishment like what you get in a single player game, this is particularly true for MMOs which I avoid at all costs to keep my head from exploding.

I like the Achievment system as it gives me a goal: if I do these things it means the game is "complete"
I could care less about the points involved it's just a checklist of things to do.

Seeing a game in my profile with n-1/n tasks complete would just serve to agravate me.

grim_d

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(antz1970 @ Mar 10 2006, 03:46 PM) View Post

yeah crap innit , i feel like i have waited ages to get burnout on 360 , but still another week to go sad.gif , i wouldnt mind so much if it wasnt for the fact that criterion are a u.k based company laugh.gif ah well this time next friday i should be playing love.gif

i know, but i cant afford it anyway..GAY.

ive been dying for this aswell...who wants their xbox modded? tongue.gif tongue.gif

John Deadly

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Mar 10 2006, 11:17 AM) View Post

Gamer Points don't mean squat... Achievments do, particularly if youre like me and obsessive compulsive.

I disagree slightly, I want every dam point there is to get, if it's get-able. I like looking at other peoples gamer cards and score and measuring myself against it.

metaldevil

• Archived User
Burnout Revenge
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 10:10:00 AM »

Yes, I like the achievements, too. MS did a stupid thing by creating the gamerscore phenomenon. The scores are absolutely useless, but some people are suckered into thinking that a higher score actually means something so they purchase as many games as they can to get that score up. I think the top score is something like 30k.

The mistake that people keep making is equating both gamerscore and achievements. Unlocking achievements earns you X amount of gamerpoints, but the points (gamerscore) don't mean that you're a great player. The achievements are the ones that show everyone what you've unlocked. The score is arbitrary. It's not like you can purchase anything with your points. Although achievements and gamerscore are related, they are not the same thing.

What matters to me is having fun. Getting the achievements is just icing on the cake, but it's fun to get them still. I still play my games even after I've gotten all the achievements for it (e.g., MBU and Geo Wars after I get the last two achievements I'm missing biggrin.gif). I'd love to get all the achievements in all of my games, but I don't have all the time necessary for it, and sometimes I don't have the patience to put up with some games (e.g., PDZ and Condemned).

I paid for my games. I shouldn't have to deal with some bullshit exclusive achievement. It should be the consumer's option if s/he wants to earn whatever achievements by putting in X amount of work for it (e.g., achievements for DOA4, PGR3, RR6, GW, MSR and the like).

In Mutant Storm Reloaded, the most difficult achievement to earn is the Black Belt Grandmaster. It's difficult because it requires a lot of patience and skill. It is still, however, a very fair and achievable achievement. It doesn't require a golden variable to be earned. If you don't feel like putting in the effort to earn it, that's fine because it's a game you paid for, and it should be your option. If you have the patience, time, energy, and desire to earn all the achievements for a game you paid for, you should be able to without having any of them be achievable by the slimmest of chances.

I love Burnout to death, but I hate that I'll never have that achievement. It's like Criterion is saying, "Fuck you if you weren't a game tester or if you weren't here the first hour we released the game." It should be my choice to earn this achievement not the fucking developer's.