xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hands On Playtest Of Burnout 360  (Read 289 times)

KAGE360

• Archived User
Hands On Playtest Of Burnout 360
« on: January 06, 2006, 08:29:00 AM »

i dont care for EA at all but i did play burnout revenge and was really impressed by how good it looks and played.  it will take more then a half assed effort from EA and the devs but this may be a purchase if it looks good enough.  

The new Xbox360 version of Burnout Revenge is not just a simple port, but it also has a whole new online component. That plus the fact that new crash junctions have been added, make this title a promising Xbox360 addition. Check out what Gamespot has to say.

http://www.gamersreports.com/news/844/

LowProfileWurm

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 08:45:00 AM »

One thing's for damn sure, I'm buying it.  The online Live Revenge feature looks like it's worth the price of admission alone.  But just in case that sucks, the Save & Share Replay feature will rule.  I look forward to April.

Joergen

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 10:04:00 AM »

How is a port of a game that runs on the lowly PS2 not "just a port"? I'm not saying it wont be a good game but its nowhere near what Burnout 360 or PS3 would be with multicore uber-physics and destrucition.

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »

IGNs opinion...shorter version...

What we did see was an extremely polished version of Burnout Revenge blazing by at 60 frames per second with nary a hitch. The realtime damage on the unlicensed vehicles was impressive as the bodies of the cars deteriorated as we scraped and side-swiped our way around the courses. First the paint was lost then the metal would start to deform and warp bit by bit.

We ran through the Motor City and White Mountain in Standard Race mode with Crashbreakers. It would be too easy for us to say that the Motor City course in Burnout Revenge merely looked like a faster version of the similar looking course from EA's Need for Speed Most Wanted for Xbox 360. So instead we'll try our best to complicate the comparison and highlight the differences between the two games by saying Burnout Revenge doesn't have licensed vehicles. There, that ought to do it.

The Xbox 360 version of Burnout Revenge does look slightly better than the game saw on Xbox just a few of months ago and we were running it on a great big HD television. It seems the new online features are intended to make the 360 version of the popular Burnout franchise a slightly new experience altogether.

I put *slightly* in italics because the article did.

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 11:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(Deftech @ Jan 6 2006, 12:48 PM) View Post

IGNs opinion...shorter version...
I put *slightly* in italics because the article did.

That is what I expected, only a slightly better game. Can't let Criterion and EA change things, it might screw up simple customers that buy the slightly better version each year now.

IMO, sports games are the only genre that can have somewhat of an excuse for only releasing slightly better games each year.

LowProfileWurm

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 12:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(deftonesmx17 @ Jan 6 2006, 01:16 PM) *

That is what I expected, only a slightly better game. Can't let Criterion and EA change things, it might screw up simple customers that buy the slightly better version each year now.

IMO, sports games are the only genre that can have somewhat of an excuse for only releasing slightly better games each year.
You're still here?

We all knew it would be an upgraded version of the original.  So what?  It's not like Madden where they give you an updated roster and some stupid trick stick thing.  They are giving us a revamped online play system... something that PS3 will more than likely never have... and features the Xbox1 lacked considerable.  It's not going to be revolutionary yet because it's only been 6 months since the Xbox version came out.  What more do you want?  

For those who didn't buy the first round on Xbox will be overjoyed to see this.  Those that did aren't going to be nearly as excited, but I, being the "simple customer" that I am, am looking forward to the Live play on 360.

EDIT: Speeeling

This post has been edited by LowProfileWurm: Jan 6 2006, 08:07 PM

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 02:02:00 PM »

You just had to respond, didn't you?

You know, ignoring me is an option, right?

And does it matter if I am still here? I didn't know you had to own a 360 to be here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

This post has been edited by deftonesmx17: Jan 6 2006, 10:10 PM

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 02:29:00 PM »

who care's if it's only a slight upgrade if you don't own the currently available version yet...

if you haven't played it, it's new to you  wink.gif

I wouldn't expect them to change gameplay elements or major features for a release of the SAME GAME on a different console anyway, slight differences are more then welcome though. beerchug.gif

Really the only thing I'd expect them to do is make changes based on the features the differencing consoles offer. Like updating the graphics because it's a more powerful system, taking advantage of the online features and custom soundtrack etc....

Changing things like the track or car roster isn't necessary for different console release of the same game.

LowProfileWurm

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 05:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(deftonesmx17 @ Jan 6 2006, 04:02 PM) *

You just had to respond, didn't you?

You know, ignoring me is an option, right?

And does it matter if I am still here? I didn't know you had to own a 360 to be here rolleyes.gif
You're damn right I had to respond.  You're shitting on my favorite game.  You certainly get uptight and bothered when I talk about PES's shortcomings...  rolleyes.gif  rolleyes.gif  rolleyes.gif

Twisted is right, this isn't a game sequel.  It's simply a "Developers Cut" of a previously released game.  EA and Criterion aren't taking the easy way out by slightly upgrading the graphics and throwing in some new damage models.  They are upgrading the online experience; something they didn't have to do.  They could have just crapped out and given us the same game with HD graphics.  Then I'd be miffed. That's what BC is for.  But they are bringing new stuff to the table and I welcome it with open arms.  

So no, I couldn't just ignore you.  Keep your Burnout badmouthing to yourself.  And no, you don't have to own a 360 to be here  rolleyes.gif but I don't expect you to stay if you're gonna piss and moan about every goddamn thing that comes out for it.  rolleyes.gif

Oh, and  rolleyes.gif