xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blue Dragon with English Subs - May 22nd in Singapore  (Read 1123 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Blue Dragon with English Subs - May 22nd in Singapore
« on: April 15, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | April 15 11:43 EST | News Category: Xbox360

If you can't wait till August 2007 for the official US release of Blue Dragon, gameaxis.com posted some interesting info:

Xbox 360 owners in Singapore as well as other westernized countries can soon look forward to playing Sakaguchi's newest RPG masterpiece come May 22nd. We can all take this news as truly official, as one MS exec revealed to me that Blue Dragon have indeed gotten its release date pushed ahead of schedule. So rather than having to wait till August (as previously stated), 360 gamers can finally taste some sweet RPG love at last next month. And here's the sweetener: MS have listened to RPG fans' feedbacks and have stuck to Blue Dragon's native Japanese audio, but with 100% English texts/subtitles! Way to go Microsoft!

Note: it's unknown atm if this title will be region free ... so don't pre-order yet unless you have a NTSC/J 360.
Full Story: gameaxis.com

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »

i'll just wait until it's released in english.

i dont mind subs, infact i turn them on even if the game is in english, but i want my PAL version laugh.gif

Mr. Me

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »

All original Japanese audio with English subs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That's the way every Japanese RPG should be, woooohooooooooo!!!!!!!!  I always set the language to Japanese and turn on subs whenever possible.

Mekapo

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »

I hope this is Region-Free.  I'd love to pick this up a few months early smile.gif

zero129

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »

So does this mean the won't be a Dubbed version? or that the will be a subbed version first in some places, and a dubbed version for the rest later?.

dmitri

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »

I'm not sure why everyone is so obsessed with subtitles..  You're looking down 25% of the time, missing the action and possible infliction in the words.

People have been disapointed in the past at POOR dubbing..  Companies spending very little to get mediocre talent..  and too much improv.

Done right, dubbing should be a much better experience than subtitles.  A great example of this is 'Spriggan'.

This post has been edited by dmitri: Apr 15 2007, 08:25 PM

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(dmitri @ Apr 15 2007, 02:26 PM) View Post

I'm not sure why everyone is so obsessed with subtitles..  You're looking down 25% of the time, missing the action and possible infliction in the words.

People have been disapointed in the past at POOR dubbing..  Companies spending very little to get mediocre talent..  and too much improv.

Done right, dubbing should be a much better experience than subtitles.  A great example of this is 'Spriggan'.

i agree that subtitles can be distracting, but having the original content language for game play really makes a difference - of course, the better choice would be to have both options available...and the best choice would be to learn the original language...

XanTium

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(zero129 @ Apr 15 2007, 08:44 PM) View Post

So does this mean the won't be a Dubbed version? or that the will be a subbed version first in some places, and a dubbed version for the rest later?.

the official US release coming in August will be dubbed in English afaik.

Aerok

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »

Dubbing if done right is much better than reading subtitles. If they spend the money like Square did on Final Fantasy, dubbing is the way to go.

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »

While I'd prefer a nicely dubbed version, I come from the days when all RPG's were text based.  If this turns out being region free, I'll definately pick up a copy.   I've been waiting a LOOOONNNG time for this game.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »

I'll be honest... I prefer dubs to subs... and I'm a big fan of Anime and foreign film too.  sleep.gif

I find that with subs I miss too much of what's happening on screen.

I can certainly understand back in the day when dubs were done on the cheap using really REALLY bad actors, but these days it rarely happens. A few of the Animes I've seen I'd even debate that the quality of the sound and the acting in the dubs is better then that of the original Japanese (Speed Grapher for one).

I can respect those who prefer a subbed version but if they put the effort into it (proper translation, quality recording equipment, good actors, etc.) I'll take a dubbed version any day of the week.

Xeriak

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »

Maybe its just me.. but I have no problem reading subtitles at the bottom of the screen.. infact I prefer it. Also, I don't miss any of the action going on as I'm a quick reader, and somehow I have devleloped the ability to just partially focus my eyes on the subs while still staring at the main actual picture/action taking place..

I guess this ability comes with years and years of watching anime fansubs on a hardcore basis..
Now I'm pondering the thought on acquiring a NTSC/J Xbox 360 just so I can get these imports in the future.. But, my question is.. Are Japanese 360's just as easily prone to RRoD symptoms?? I'd hate to buy one off eBay and have no warranty.. and then the damn thing breaks down on me a few months later.. lol

EDIT: What are the chances of the 360 ever becoming region-free through new DVD firmware mods?? I know this question is in the wrong forum. Sorry.

This post has been edited by Xeriak: Apr 16 2007, 10:21 PM

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(Xeriak @ Apr 16 2007, 05:26 PM) View Post

Now I'm pondering the thought on acquiring a NTSC/J Xbox 360 just so I can get these imports in the future.. But, my question is.. Are Japanese 360's just as easily prone to RRoD symptoms?? I'd hate to buy one off eBay and have no warranty.. and then the damn thing breaks down on me a few months later.. lol

EDIT: What are the chances of the 360 ever becoming region-free through new DVD firmware mods?? I know this question is in the wrong forum. Sorry.

Foreign consoles are just like any other console... so Japanese consoles would be just as "prone to RRoD" as any other.

As for a region free firmware update. Based on what I know of the Xbox 360's security system (which is very little) we wont see region free capabilities until we have homebrew capabilities. Though I could be wrong.

Judging by the fact that this is MS published title and almost all MS published titles up to this point have been region locked, My guess is that this game will be too.  dry.gif

Software2

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »

I can understand why they region lock games like Blue Dragon, where they intend to release it later in other regions (I hate it, but I understand... kinda). But why allow companies to region lock their games if it's clear they'll never release it elsewhere. Do you honestly think The Idol Master is going to be brought to any place besides Japan? Explain that logic to me! Do they hate the rest of the world so much that they try to stop us from giving them money?

generalkhaos

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »

I personally prefer games (rpgs in particular) and anime in japanese with subtitles. Dubbing games, anime and movies is usually quite poor as it undermines the creators vision and the integrity of the original work.

Have you ever downloaded a favourite english movie that has been dubbed in spanish or something? do you feel that the characters and writing still touch you in the same way that they did before? of course they do not, its like sending your prized piece of literature over to some jackasses in a different country and letting them rewrite it.

There are some exceptions of course, when hard work is put into the dubbing, such as GITS:SAC from day one hte english cast has poured themselves into their work, another good title is the original Akira dub in the early nineties <later dubs=not as good>

As for this game in particular i'm patiently waiting to find out if it will play on a NTSC-U unit, i'll repost in 3 days or so when i can confirm it working/not working
Pages: [1] 2