xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Gamasutra: Was Blue Dragon The Monster Microsoft Needed?  (Read 697 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Gamasutra: Was Blue Dragon The Monster Microsoft Needed?
« on: January 31, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | January 31 13:13 EST

From gamasutra.com:

Last September, directly before the Tokyo Game Show, Gamasutra published an editorial called 'Microsoft's High Hopes In Japan', discussing "the company's admirable intent" to break the Xbox 360 out of its niche in Japan - but voicing concerns about how easy it was to do.

So, nearly two months after the release of Mistwalker's Blue Dragon, Gamasutra wondered just how well the traditional Japanese console RPG introduced Microsoft's Xbox 360 to Eastern gamers, and how similar Microsoft efforts - from other Japanese-developed console exclusives to specific regional ad campaigns - were impacting the country.

* Gamasutra: How did Blue Dragon actually affect perceptions of the Xbox 360 in Japan?
* John Ricciardi (COO and creative director of localization company 8-4): Not as much as I think most people hoped it would. It's gonna take a lot, lot more than two or three high-profile titles from Mistwalker to affect the perceptions of the 360 in Japan.
Microsoft's problems over here run deep--their situation isn't something that can be changed overnight or even in six months. The entire way they approach the Japanese market needs sweeping changes before any real progress can be made.
* Brian Ashcraft (Kotaku's Japanese correspondent): The excuse that there are no Japan-centric games went right out the window. The console went from being something you could play Halo on to something else entirely.

Full Story: gamasutra.com

XHN_SCRAPY

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »

well from what i have seen THEY LIKE (ANIME) hope i spelled that correct.  well yes the other side of the world is sick for anime crazy man i have seen some games they have made and not released in other places and they are sick people but i got to hand it to them they know how to make awesome games that can last for a long time lol and still make freaking 10+ versions of one game lol eg final fantasy.  so make anime games massive multi-player games, insane stuff i dont know let your imagination go nuts you are M$ for peets sake you can do just about and game any size you want lol Try it and say you did something.!!!! lol

gaming fanboy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »

yay for blu dragoon   biggrin.gif

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »

Is Brian employed by MS or just a fanboy? The other guy had some interesting insights and gives us more notion why MS still is "failing" and how to maybe change that. Oh and there must have been one guy who writes for famitsu or some other Japanese game mag that speaks enough English to give us the real Japanese perspective of the 360.

megahurtz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(Pheidias @ Jan 31 2007, 08:33 PM) *

Is Brian employed by MS or just a fanboy? The other guy had some interesting insights and gives us more notion why MS still is "failing" and how to maybe change that. Oh and there must have been one guy who writes for famitsu or some other Japanese game mag that speaks enough English to give us the real Japanese perspective of the 360.

John Ricciardi previously wrote for EGM for a number of years.  He moved to Japan several years ago and was doing most of EGM's international stories while living there.  I'd consider his opinion to be an informed one.

msr

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 03:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(XHN_SCRAPY @ Jan 31 2007, 05:59 PM) *

well yes the other side of the world is sick for anime crazy man i have seen some games they have made and not released in other places and they are sick people but i got to hand it to them they know how to make awesome games that can last for a long time lol and still make freaking 10+ versions of one game lol eg final fantasy.  so make anime games massive multi-player games, insane stuff i dont know let your imagination go nuts you are M$ for peets sake you can do just about and game any size you want lol Try it and say you did something.!!!! lol

they probably think americans are sick to for all there shooting games and there obsession with violence in gaming.

This post has been edited by msr: Feb 1 2007, 11:50 AM

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 03:53:00 AM »

to bad its taking them 6 months to translate it for a us relese. relly the games been delayed twice aruldy it whent from 1/1/07 then to 3/1/07 now its 6/1/07. a 6 month delay for a compleated game. i have seen videos of it it looks like its a good game even if its animated old school rpgs own. wile squre is busy killing final fantisy  at least the 360 will have a good rpg. ff12 sucked btw.

This post has been edited by luther349: Feb 1 2007, 11:56 AM

Knasen

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »

I really want to play Blue Dragon, looks like a game I would play through without putting down. How hard can it be to translate a game, taking way to long now :/

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(Knasen @ Feb 1 2007, 08:46 PM) View Post

I really want to play Blue Dragon, looks like a game I would play through without putting down. How hard can it be to translate a game, taking way to long now :/

yeah it looks great, the review in the latest issue of edge just makes me want it even more.

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 06:34:00 AM »

I'm pretty upset that we don't even have a US release date for this game yet.  It's been a featured title on xbox.com for almost a year now.  I want to play this while the graphics are still current, not in two years when it's a dated pile. I'm just astounded that MS has a Sakaguchi/Uematsu title under their belt and haven't released it here.  Someone needs a good kick in the junk.

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(lowendfrequency @ Apr 6 2007, 08:41 AM) View Post

I'm pretty upset that we don't even have a US release date for this game yet.  It's been a featured title on xbox.com for almost a year now.  I want to play this while the graphics are still current, not in two years when it's a dated pile. I'm just astounded that MS has a Sakaguchi/Uematsu title under their belt and haven't released it here.  Someone needs a good kick in the junk.

i thought it was dated for June  huh.gif

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Apr 6 2007, 11:27 AM) View Post

i thought it was dated for June  huh.gif

I've heard august from the retailers but the official word from MS game studios is still TBA 2007.
http://www.xbox.com/...360/default.htm