xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Mk > Sf  (Read 631 times)

esc1

• Archived User
Mk > Sf
« on: August 22, 2006, 12:26:00 AM »

Just kidding.  Honestly, I don't know which one I think is better now, but I enjoyed the MK series much more when I was younger.  I was in the 8th grade when MK3 was released.  laugh.gif  SF is def the first best fighter, but I became engrossed with the MK characters more and the gore created a lot of hype back then.  I can't wait for this one to drop.  Cyrax was my fav character to use in the arcade.   It's going to be great to take people on.  A nice little tournament feature would be sweet or something similar to coin op for SF.

gcskate27

• Archived User
Mk > Sf
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »

you almost did get a heated reply there... biggrin.gif

mk, esp 1 &2,  really was just jump kick, sweep, uppercut... pick the right character whose specific move was weighted, like kung lao's uppercut, and you already have a def advantage against your opponent...

controversy pushed mk to the forefront, a billion chars and graphics kept it there temporarily, but its nowhere near the fighter sf is... beerchug.gif

s3CKS_c0W

• Archived User
Mk > Sf
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 06:56:00 AM »

I was hoping that XBLA would get either this or trilogy cause I love the old MK games more. They just seemed more faster and of course the sheer brutality was insane. . . I still play the snes verion today!

I believe trilogy would be a better choice what with the release of armageddon  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by s3CKS_c0W: Aug 30 2006, 01:58 PM

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Mk > Sf
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »

personally I never liked Trilogy... the MK series really build as it moved along, adding new types of features it wasn't just new characters and arenas the game play changed with each version.

Trilogy didn't work very well because all the old characters were either worthless or too cheap against the more recent ones because they were meant for different gameplay environments and it just made the game incredibly unbalanced IMO.

UMK3 FTW it's only missing a small number of people compared to trilogy, it the fastest MK game, with the widest variety of finishing moves and probably the smoothest playing MK game too.

SF is great and all but I can't stand Capcom's combo system and the jazz music + childish anime style sprites were never that attractive to me either. SNK does a lot better with more of an adult anime style and more techno oriented music but the combo system is still too close to that of Capcoms. UMK3 was easily the best 2D version of the MK series, the best finishers, the best special movies and finally an actual combo system of their own. The combos were all essentially multi-part special movies but I still liked them more then Street Fighters, Graphics and Sound were a whole world better too IMO, not to mention they explored the arena's more with things like the various Pits or changing locations mid battle.

Nothing beats Killer Instinct IMO though, hands down the best combo system ever implemented in any fighting game EVER. It was open ended so you could make up your own combos but it was regimented enough that you could literally come up with a combo on a piece of paper try it in the game and it would work. Couple that with the most unique round handling system, finishers and exploratory arenas like MK but you have to perform them while you're opponent is still alive as well as great graphics and sound... Damn now I want to go play it. tongue.gif

Kr0n1k

• Archived User
Mk > Sf
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 08:08:00 PM »

HEY! WE OWN RARE!.... Hmmm... I wonder... That was easily the best fighting game ever, arcade only though, SNES graphics were kinda weak compared to standing in front of that big ass screen in the arcade with the much better rendered/animated character models and loud sound. C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-COOMMMMMBO BREAKER!