xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Geometry Wars  (Read 1518 times)

gcskate27

• Archived User
Geometry Wars
« on: January 10, 2006, 11:33:00 PM »

im the type of person who likes to figure out how games work so id like this thread to be about the intricacies of geo wars... now im not the best player at it but ive noticed some things in the 'levels' i can reach: hopefully others can expand upon this...

weapons upgrade : every 10,000 points*
extra life : every 75,000 points*
extra bomb : every 100,000 points*

2x multiplier - after ~900 points
3x multiplier - after ~3500 points
4x multiplier - after ~16000 points
5x multiplier - after ~60000 points
6x multiplier - ...

purple pinwheels
- random flyers, not aggressive, sluggish
blue rhombus' - direct attackers, non evassive, sluggish
green squares - direct attackers, evade fire, moderate speed
pink squares - direct attackers, moderate to fast, split into 3 small pink square when hit... the 3 small squares are looping flyers that are moderately aggressive
snakes - moderately aggressive, can only be killed with a headshot and you cannot pass through their tails, sluggish
black holes - very passive, suck up enemies and you as well as distorting your fire path... once theyve sucked up enough enemies(seems to be 7-10)/merged with other black holes, they release a swarm of 'mini-blue-holes'
'mini blue holes' - very aggressive, swarm with direct routes to your ship
red ships - ... not sure as there are normally way too many enemies to keep track of when these make their debut... tongue.gif

just random stuff ive noted that others might want to add to to aid those of us that like to attack games with a little logic and understanding of the AI...

*given in game info screens

Master X

• Archived User
Geometry Wars
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 11:39:00 PM »

I can't get past 175,000 points. Those little blue guys always get me when they come out from the red circles that you need to explode.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Geometry Wars
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »

you for got one enemy, what are those litte tiny things that com out of the corners. almsot have  asmoke effect there are so many of them

LowProfileWurm

• Archived User
Geometry Wars
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »

The BLUE TRIANGLES that swarm in from the corners are nearly impossible to evade without use of one of your bombs.  I've only escaped them once without a bomb by using the upgraded rapid fire weapon and some deft flying.  They are non-evasive and swarm to the point of congestion.  Make sure there are NO BLACKHOLE things onscreen or youre screwed.

The RED SHIPS have a shield that depletes.  Best to let them fly at you, then dodge them and shoot them as they fly past.  I usually ignore them as they make a sound right before they attack.  They aren't a problem.

I've gotten 722,000 points, but only once.  My next best was 548,000.  My average is around 250,000. Always trying for more!

Rubix42

• Archived User
Geometry Wars
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 12:39:00 PM »

I just passed the 1 mil. mark last night.  

The blue triangle (jacks) I actually look forward to seeing.  What you need to do is shoot a path through the stream, then sweep your guns through the hole a couple times, then bust through, make it through 2 streams, and then clean up the tail end of the third, and you will have a huge mass of them in the center of the level.  Just take pot shots at them when you have a chance.  

The multiplier is not based on points.  It is based off the number of enemies you kill.  x2=25 enemies x3=75, all the way up to x10=2000 enemies!  It resets after each life.

Once you pass through the beginning stages and they start spawning a lot of enemies on screen at once, just focus on making boxes around the edges of the map.  Keep shooting ahead of you to keep you flight path clear, and when you have a chance, shoot behind you to eleminate some of the group that will follow you around.  

Try not to make a path through the center, it almost always means death.  

Use your bombs to clear the way ahead if it becomes to much.

Mars10

• Archived User
Geometry Wars
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 01:08:00 PM »

Those little blue X things that come in like thousands are what get me it seems like i cant shoot fast enough, i just need to have a plan for attack i guess.

gcskate27

• Archived User
Geometry Wars
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rubix42 @ Jan 11 2006, 01:46 PM) View Post

I just passed the 1 mil. mark last night.  

The blue triangle (jacks) I actually look forward to seeing.  What you need to do is shoot a path through the stream, then sweep your guns through the hole a couple times, then bust through, make it through 2 streams, and then clean up the tail end of the third, and you will have a huge mass of them in the center of the level.  Just take pot shots at them when you have a chance.  

The multiplier is not based on points.  It is based off the number of enemies you kill.  x2=25 enemies x3=75, all the way up to x10=2000 enemies!  It resets after each life.

Once you pass through the beginning stages and they start spawning a lot of enemies on screen at once, just focus on making boxes around the edges of the map.  Keep shooting ahead of you to keep you flight path clear, and when you have a chance, shoot behind you to eleminate some of the group that will follow you around.  

Try not to make a path through the center, it almost always means death.  

Use your bombs to clear the way ahead if it becomes to much.

nice info

i just got to the jacks today actually... they can build your multiplier really quickly and arent that hard to avoid (if there arent many other enemies on screen) because they are slow and easy to punch a 'hole' in their swarm as youve said... a couple of corner swarms of those and you get at least a free life and bomb, let alone 1-2 levels in multiplier...

@thax: the red circles that i 'forgot' are the ones other people and myself call 'black holes' as they act as such...  wink.gif

melongstrike

• Archived User
Geometry Wars
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »

I notice some of teh shapes cluster together if you don't take them out quickly... is there any advantage to this approach?

Also any tips to get pass the 1 min mark without shooting?

I will try to rotate around the map shooting ahead of me like mentioned above and also making circles. I still haven't gotten use to the 360 controls yet.

Approx. 166,000 is my max it blows my mind looking at some of the leader boards.

tommiwan

• Archived User
Geometry Wars
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 10:22:00 AM »

The red ships target you and then put up a force field in front of them and try to ram right in to you.  Your bullets can't hurt their forcefield.  Their weakness are they only move in a straight line, and that when they miss you they are slow to turn around leaving them open to attack.  They don't come up often (from my experience) and only come 1 at a time.

My highest score is somewhere around 212,000

deakphreak

• Archived User
Geometry Wars
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 10:28:00 AM »

Ive reached over 300,000 finally and on my way to the 500,000 mark.  I hate using bombs because you dont get points for using them.  So i always end up dying and have like 3 or 4 bombs still left.  This game is so addicting and gets so hard to see later on in the game, too much going on.  Just keep shooting in front of you while you skim around the edges and i find it helps to move out away from the corners as you go around since most things come out from there and you dont want to get hit.

RelicSoul

• Archived User
Geometry Wars
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 11:58:00 AM »

I love Geo Wars II. It really hits me in that primal arcade shooter type of way. I really hope developers are hearing everyone, and that they start making more games like Geo Wars II. My high score is 267,000. I also hate those super tiny clusters, that come at you from all corners.

I love playing some nu-skool breakbeats while playing (uberzone, Adam Freeland).

deakphreak

• Archived User
Geometry Wars
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 08:38:00 AM »

I was playing this game all night and finally got up to 710,000 then died.  I was on my way to getting that 1 mill sad.gif  Last night i keep seeing shapes flying around in my head as i try and shoot them and find the best way to kill them. Next im going to start seeing shapes in the food i eat  ohmy.gif

LowProfileWurm

• Archived User
Geometry Wars
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(deakphreak @ Jan 14 2006, 10:45 AM) View Post

I was playing this game all night and finally got up to 710,000 then died.  I was on my way to getting that 1 mill sad.gif  Last night i keep seeing shapes flying around in my head as i try and shoot them and find the best way to kill them. Next im going to start seeing shapes in the food i eat  ohmy.gif

Don't eat any Speghetti-O's  rotfl.gif

I think the 360 is learning my style in the game.  I was attacked by not 1, not 2, not THREE, but FOUR waves of floaty green square things.  Then the snakes came and I was fugged.  No bombs left  sad.gif

I swear I can't handle next-gen AI.  I'm just not smart enough.

deakphreak

• Archived User
Geometry Wars
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »

I can handle it when a bunch of shapes come out because i just start fighting a path in front of me, hit a circle and run, then they all go into the circle and give me a chance to get away but sometimes they will send a TON of those snakes and those SUCK!!  You have to hit them in the "face" or else your screwed and i always run into their tails because i can never kill them fast enough.  I should have my 1 mill within the next week though smile.gif

LowProfileWurm

• Archived User
Geometry Wars
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 11:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(deakphreak @ Jan 14 2006, 12:47 PM) View Post

I can handle it when a bunch of shapes come out because i just start fighting a path in front of me, hit a circle and run, then they all go into the circle and give me a chance to get away but sometimes they will send a TON of those snakes and those SUCK!!  You have to hit them in the "face" or else your screwed and i always run into their tails because i can never kill them fast enough.  I should have my 1 mill within the next week though smile.gif

Honestly, if it wasn't for the snakes... i'd be past 1M by now.  They are the ever constant source of anxiety when I get into the 500K range.  Just tooo damn much coming and going for me to worry about hitting a snake tail...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4