xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is Doom 3 Worth Getting For The 360 ?  (Read 31 times)

mike_jacko

• Archived User
Is Doom 3 Worth Getting For The 360 ?
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »

No...but you should d/l the demo and try it out 1st

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:36:00 PM »

there is no doom 3 demo on the marketplace, as it is a xbox game, not 360.  and if your asking him to compare his pc's performance of the doom 3 demo to what it gona look like on his 360 in emulation... thats just not going to work.

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »

Doom3 looks great upscaled to 720p and it is true widescreen. The game itself is fantastic. If you haven't played through it get it.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 06:01:00 AM »

you could consider picking up Quake 4 or Prey for the Xbox 360, both use the Doom 3 engine (they're both really good looking) and were made explicitly for the Xbox 360.  If you're not interested in multiplayer you should consider them rentals though as it wont take you very long to complete them (same can be said about Doom 3).

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 08:45:00 AM »

Those games may use the Doom3 engine and look better (because they are 360 games) but that dosn't make them Doom 3. Not everyone plays games just to look at graphics. I like a good game. Quake 4 was a good game but Doom3 was better by far IMO. Besides, it still looks great.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »

well I've heard a lot of people complain that Doom 3 was barely more then a tech demo for the engine... while I haven't played the whole thing I'd agree with what little I did play. Having played a bit of Quake 4 and all of Prey (twice) I can tell you that my impression is that those games have a bit more substance to them.

And while yes they are all very similar graphically, they are also all very similar gameplay wise (though Prey's use of portals, and gravity adds a whole lot of extra flavor to that department)

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »

Well Doom3 (unlike Quake 4) dosn't jump right into the action. It takes a little bit to get started. Once it does it gets really good. It took me a while (read weeks) to play past the beginning of the game because I thought it was shaping up to be a slow game and I don't usually have time for that. Once I got passed the beginning and into the game I finished in two days (over a weekend) and I was very happy with it. I would gladly play through it again. I Have the expansion (Resurrection of Evil) and want to play through that when I have time. I have started it and unlike Doom 3 it gets right into the action and so far it is shaping up to be good as well. They took the gravity gun idea of HL2 and put it in.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »

I finished doom 3 and its ok. The graphics and sound is still some of the best ive seen or heard. Just repetitive. Moreso than the original dooms.

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 12:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(incognegro @ Aug 15 2006, 12:57 PM) View Post

I finished doom 3 and its ok. The graphics and sound is still some of the best ive seen or heard. Just repetitive. Moreso than the original dooms.

I love the original Doom games (I lived them for some time) and I still play them (ZDaemon, SkullTag, JDoom, etc.) but really... you can't get more repetative then the single-player Doom games (and that does not take anything away from them.) I found the story for Doom 3 to be good. I found the gameplay to be quite enjoyable and there are quite a few moments that will make you pop out of your seat. Of course, to each their own. Rent the game first.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 09:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(Hyper_Eye @ Aug 15 2006, 07:10 PM) View Post

I love the original Doom games (I lived them for some time) and I still play them (ZDaemon, SkullTag, JDoom, etc.) but really... you can't get more repetative then the single-player Doom games (and that does not take anything away from them.) I found the story for Doom 3 to be good. I found the gameplay to be quite enjoyable and there are quite a few moments that will make you pop out of your seat. Of course, to each their own. Rent the game first.

I love the original dooms too but to be honest I played those more than I played doom 3 when I got the collecters edition. Its just that doom 3 doesn't have that fun factor that have you coming back no matter how repetitive it was that the originals had.

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 09:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(incognegro @ Aug 16 2006, 10:16 AM) View Post

I love the original dooms too but to be honest I played those more than I played doom 3 when I got the collecters edition. Its just that doom 3 doesn't have that fun factor that have you coming back no matter how repetitive it was that the originals had.

I can say the same for Quake 4 as well. Including Quake 2 with it was a wise decision indeed. I have enjoyed it very much.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 09:59:00 AM »

I Hated quake 4 and it hurt me emotionally! No seriously, immediately went back to quake 3 on my xbox after playing it.