xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Usb Wireless Adapter With Usb Extension Cable  (Read 950 times)

Aluminum Gerbil

• Archived User
Usb Wireless Adapter With Usb Extension Cable
« on: November 16, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »

Looking to get a little insight into this problem because it's driving me crazy and I'm not sure if I need to buy an official wireless extension cable or if I can use a generic one.  I have a Jasper that's been RGH'd and I recently got a Kinect.  So the Kinect is plugged into the back of the xbox and I've ordered a 1.5 foot generic USB extension cable so I could plug the wireless adapter into the front ports of the xbox.  I can plug the wireless adapter directly into the front ports or into my computer and it works just fine, but if I add the extension cable it is no longer detected and receives no power.  The kicker is if I plug a thumb drive into the extension cable it is detected by both the xbox and by my computer.  So the cable is clearly good, but the combination of the cable and the wireless adapter is bad.  Is there something in play that I'm not seeing that prevents the use of a generic USB extension cable?  Do I need to buy the official Microsoft one? I've included a link below to the cable I am using.  Just wondering if anyone else has used a generic cable with any luck.  Thanks in advance!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180983897286?ssPag...984.m1497.l2649

johnyblackout

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »

Why are you using an extension cable? Is it because you don't get a strong enough signal where the xbox is? Have you tried using a wireless ethernet bridge?

Aluminum Gerbil

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »

Because the Kinect is supposed to be plugged into the back and I can plug the wifi adapter into the front, but I don't want it just flopping around.  Microsoft includes an extension cable with the Kinect for this reason, but I got mine from a guy on CL and it didn't have the extension cable so I purchased one separately.  The cable I bought is only 1.5 feet.  I currently just have the adapter plugged into the front and dangling/sitting on the top of my xbox.  Not the nicest configuration.

This post has been edited by Aluminum Gerbil: Nov 27 2012, 08:40 AM

johnyblackout

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »

Then I would just recommend trying the other 'legitimate' usb extension cord (if this is purely for aesthetics). I found a mod where some dude soldered the wireless chip directly onto the motherboard Here. However if you do this mod, I'm pretty sure you're gonna lose that back usb port anyways. I don't know what to tell ya bud, way of the road I guess.

This post has been edited by johnyblackout: Nov 28 2012, 02:06 AM

Aluminum Gerbil

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »

Yeah, I'll get another one and see if that takes care of it.  It's just so weird that it works with other devices that aren't the wifi adapter.  Anyway, thanks for the help!